1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Poll: should the UK ban the islamic veil?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lunarwolf, Jul 13, 2010.

?

Sould the UK ban the Islamic veil as the French did?

1. Yes, ban the veil in the UK

688 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach

255 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. No

117 vote(s)
    11.0%
  1. Castiel

Capo Crimine

I agree with you, it is a shame.

This seems to be true across a whole range of beliefs, whether they be based on Religion, Politics, Nationalism or whatever. This is why we never seem to actually advance beyond divisive, boundary driven ideology as a race.

2. growse

Soldato

I take your point. I'd probably argue that the key thing to a republic is lack of a monarchy that is involved in government. Practically, our monarchy takes no part in government, it's there for show. But we're splitting hairs - representative democracy is a better term.

3. SlugForAButt

Wise Guy

Here we go again. :(
    How do you know this?

The same as some poor woman wanting to catch some rays in an Islamic country not being able to wear the swimming cozzy of her choice I suppose.

4. Castiel

Capo Crimine

How do you know otherwise?

Last time I looked we do not live in an Islamic country.

5. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Ahh so you want to make us more like them with regards to law making?

I never knew you held Islamic countries in such high regard.

6. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Because the national poll was posted before and it was only out by 2%?

7. Castiel

Capo Crimine

Link? The only one I can find is the French one. And the very fact that the French voted one way encourages me to vote the other.:p

8. Tefal

Capo Crimine

9. ShaolinDreams

Mobster

Hold on hold what do you mean by that?

I hope you're not comparing people "who you consider" stupid to mentally challenged people with severe disabilities. Thats insulting to people with actual medical conditions, some of which arent very intelligent but they definitely arent stupid. Not a good attitude if you will be working in that field soon. Dont be a retard, oh wait! ...Have some respect man.

Im still for banning full face veil and have no problem with any other garments they wish to wear as long as their face is not full masked.

How about we conduct an experiment. Idea: One of you young crazy students acquires a balaclava with just the eyes visible and wear it for a full day. Come back on this thread and post what were peoples reactions. If asked why youre wearing it you must say its because you want to and its your belief. Any takers? :D

10. shadow_boxer

Sgarrista

Thought about this for a few days now. Up until last week I've not been a fan of the full face veil. Always considered to obstructive, doesn't allow good integration and so on. Actually met someone and spoke ti them who wears the full veil. Their English was good, as was her young daughters, I could clearly understand everything, even cracked some jokes! Was a really pleasant surprise to be honest. What stood out for me was that it showed that it doesn't have to stop the integration of Muslims or those who wear the full veil. What worries me is that many women don't wear it out of their own choice, but following coercion & pressure from family and husbands. Unfortunately too many people are all too quick to dismissmiss it as "oh they don't want to integrate or are extremists" Including a lot of comments on here, where I wasn't expecting it. As for security risk, I don't buy it one bit, another easy and convenient excuse to get rid of it.

11. starfighter

Mobster

I know it isn't representative because out of all the people I know 60% of them don't think this is a good idea. Perhaps my social circle is biased but definitely not as much as this forum.

It really makes me feel sad that 60% of the people on this forum think this way.

It is their country with their rules. Let them do what they like, just because they are retards doesn't mean we have to be, we should lead by example and not "they don't respect our beliefs so we shouldn't respect theirs". That is pathetic.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  12. asim18

Capodecina

If you think banning it will be a good thing for the minority of women who do get forced to wear it, think again.

Seriously. :rolleyes:

13. starfighter

Mobster

I would happily wear a balaclava for a day if the weather suited it, obviously in summer it is going to look silly and draw attention. It is also much more associated with crime than a Burkah is so might draw more attention.

But at the end of the day you can still wear it and no one would do anything about it and if they did you could get the police on them because we live in a land of freedom where if someone chooses to cover their face they can do so and may it stay that way forever.

14. starfighter

Mobster

Exactly, this is the only slightly logical reason and it is very very very thin.

15. RDM

Capodecina

Did you completely miss the numerous mentions to another national poll which showed pretty much the same result or are you ignoring them because they don't fit in with your world view?

Regardless of the reasons? Are you just chalking up to "60% hate muslims!"? Ignoring some of the more rabid posters there are some reasonably solid reasons why a ban could be considered. But its OK, we can ignore those again and just pigeon hole people as bigoted or ignorant. Saves actually coming up with a counter argument...

16. Castiel

Capo Crimine

17. lazer46

Hitman

Muslims are probably the most hated people in the whole of the UK etc etc. That is a fact, no denying it. Why? Who knows exactly but there are clues out there.

18. Castiel

Capo Crimine

You sure about that. It could be 'The Chavs' or 'The Immigrants' or 'The Bankers' or whoever else is flavour of the month in the tabloid media.:rolleyes:

19. LeJosh

Capodecina

I like to see that the US were 60% against the banning in that research poll.

20. uv

Sgarrista

How can something probably be a fact?

I'm probably the best looking guy in England, fact.

I'm probably always right, fact.

It just doesn't work!