Poll: Poll: should the UK ban the islamic veil?

Sould the UK ban the Islamic veil as the French did?

• Yes, ban the veil in the UK

Votes: 688 64.9%
  • Don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach

Votes: 255 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 117 11.0%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Muslims are probably the most hated people in the whole of the UK etc etc. That is a fact, no denying it. Why? Who knows exactly but there are clues out there.

You're pretty bright.

How can something be a fact when you don't even know why it's a fact.

Stupid bang my head on the table posts like this make me go RAWR etc. now that IS a fact.

Soldato
am i the only wondering what repercussions france will face for this...will we hear some boom boom ?
i honestly dont think it was wise to be the first country to do it....it was certainly brave but maybe not wise.
hopefully the extremists wont use it as an excuse to blow themselves to pieces....well atleast not near anyone else.

Caporegime
Muslims are probably the most hated people in the whole of the UK etc etc. That is a fact, no denying it. Why? Who knows exactly but there are clues out there.

There isnt a big enough facepalm for that post...:/

am i the only wondering what repercussions france will face for this...will we hear some boom boom ?
i honestly dont think it was wise to be the first country to do it....it was certainly brave but maybe not wise.
hopefully the extremists wont use it as an excuse to blow themselves to pieces....well atleast not near anyone else.

Well it probably wont be surprising if there is some sort of terrorist attack on the French due to this banning..i mean theres bound to be if your going to add fuel to the fire so to speak.

Hopefully not as its not something i would like to see but giving the extremists another reason to attack the West isnt exactly smart.

Personally as i have said before im against the banning of it in all honesty but removal of it where security is an issue ie banks, airports or anywhere else where you need to see someones face is something that needs to be addressed...problem is that you will idiots who will take advantage of the discrimination laws to say that they have been unfairly treated....vicious circle really.

Caporegime
I would like to hear the opinion of a brit muslim who wears this kind of veil. Any lurking?

You wont...they are too busy being oppressed by their husbands or families so wont have any access to the internet...god imagine if they did:p...scary stuff:eek::p....they would discover a whole new world out there that they never thought possible:D

Soldato
LMAO even at this thread. No IMO, the veil shouldn't be banned. If they want to wear a veil let them, it's part of the religion isn't it (I am prepared to be corrected here).

If the women feel persecuted by the veil, then that's a different issue, but unfortunately one for the religion to handle.

If the veil was to be 'banned' it would IMO have to be part of a wider change in law regarding coverage of the face, and not be be targetting one group in particular, that simply isn't fair.

(I haven't even bothered reading the news articles on it, so don't know 'why' they are thinking about banning them btw, or if it's just media hype surrounding another issue.)

EDIT: My personal opinion on the whole 'having' to cover up is that I think it's shocking that men can wonder around freely doing as they please, but women are expected to cover themselves up to stop men finding them attractive :crazy:. Mind you, not that long ago (and some still do) that hat's were almost mandatory in churches....

Last edited:
Soldato
Firstly because from other polls we know that the age demographic of the members here isn't distributed in the same way as the UK population. It is skewed towards 20-30 year old males. That in itself doesn't make it representative of the UK.

no but if there was some sort of freakish civil war, i'd want to be with the 20-30yr old males, not the women, kids, old folk...

Soldato
A member of the tory party has already put forward a private Member's Face Coverings (Regulation) Bill in the House of Commons.

So it looks like the ban won't be to far away.

Soldato
I was jsut htinking it would be quite fun to don a full burka, I would wonder into the womens changing rooms in the local sports center...

at 6ft 4 I may stand out a bit... wonder if they do burka's in XXXXL???

has anyone tried it? will they let you into the womens changing rooms weathing one?

uv

uv

Soldato
A member of the tory party has already put forward a private Member's Face Coverings (Regulation) Bill in the House of Commons.

So it looks like the ban won't be to far away.

epolitix.com said:
The backbencher was one of 20 MPs drawn in the ballot to get a private member’s bill on the statute book. Drawn 17th in the ballot, Hollobone’s bill stands little chance of becoming law.

Further away than you think.

Last edited:
Soldato
Epolotix.com
The backbencher was one of 20 MPs drawn in the ballot to get a private member’s bill on the statute book. Drawn 17th in the ballot, Hollobone’s bill stands little chance of becoming law.

Further away than you think.

"This Bill will be on the Order Paper for a Second Reading debate on 3 December 2010"

This how the tory party do things through the back door so to speak ;)
If france pass it so will the UK and Spain and others will follow imho.

Associate
You wont...they are too busy being oppressed by their husbands or families so wont have any access to the internet...god imagine if they did:p...scary stuff:eek::p....they would discover a whole new world out there that they never thought possible:D

:p I know for a fact that there are SOME muslim women on the internet. And that some (independent, strong-minded, etc.) women choose to wear the burka. p'raps the chances of finding one on here are a bit slim...

To those saying that it's not oppressive, is just a choice, check this out: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Afghan_lady_in_Kabul.jpg
It's clearly pretty dehumanising at least in some situations. But these issues are never black & white, it's good to debate it. how far do you take tolerance - can tolerance be enforced by law? keep up the civilised debate lads (and ladies?), it's good for the country and for everyone.

Last edited:

uv

uv

Soldato

That's what you think:

The Independant said:
There is no realistic prospect of the measure becoming law. Mr Hollobone came 17th among backbenchers who drew lots for the right to sponsor private members' Bills, which means it is highly unlikely ever to be debated. Even if it was, it would be doomed to fail without government support.

The Telegraph said:
Because Mr Hollobone was only drawn 17th in the ballot, his Bill stands little chance of progress.

and even the Daily Mail:

The Daily Mail said:
The bill, which had its first reading yesterday, stands little chance of becoming law due to limited Parliamentary time and a lack of support from the main political parties.

Caporegime
thanks. I was suprised at the American result. I would have thought they would be more in favour.

I suppose it can be attributed to the historical animosity between Christendom and the Islamic world maybe.

Americans may not like Islam but they dislike government interference more.

Soldato
Did you completely miss the numerous mentions to another national poll which showed pretty much the same result or are you ignoring them because they don't fit in with your world view?

Regardless of the reasons? Are you just chalking up to "60% hate muslims!"? Ignoring some of the more rabid posters there are some reasonably solid reasons why a ban could be considered. But its OK, we can ignore those again and just pigeon hole people as bigoted or ignorant. Saves actually coming up with a counter argument...

Maybe I haven't read all of the thread that fully so for this I am sorry but there aren't any good reasons as far as I am concerned.

It is like banning balaclavas etc.

I live in a very very asian area and I have only seen a brukra maybe twice in 25 years.

This isn't even that common and is most likely out of choice anyway. so I don't buy the oppression crap.

and the security argument has already been disposed of.

This is totally lol worthy and anyone that thinks it is a good idea are the oppressors.

If this happens I might just become a terrorist myself and go around robbing banks and blowing stuff up in my burkah.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
"This Bill will be on the Order Paper for a Second Reading debate on 3 December 2010"

If france pass it so will the UK and Spain and others will follow imho.

Ok, let's allow it gets read (despite being way down the order) then it's still got to to go through the relevant stages in the Commons before it can go to the HoL. Now something which is contentious (and arguably has little support amongst the MPs) is likely to struggle to get past the second reading anywhere near unscathed but even after that there are three more stages in the HoC before it could go to the HoL. I think it would be fair to say I don't fancy its chances.

In case you're interested the process is here in an easy to follow format on the Parliament website.

Back
Top Bottom