Poll: Poll: should the UK ban the islamic veil?

Sould the UK ban the Islamic veil as the French did?

• Yes, ban the veil in the UK

Votes: 688 64.9%
  • Don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach

Votes: 255 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 117 11.0%

• Total voters
Permabanned
Syria bans face veils at universities

Female students wearing a full face veil will be barred from Syrian university campuses, the country's minister of higher education has said.

Ghiyath Barakat was reported to have said that the practice ran counter to the academic values and traditions of Syrian universities.

His ruling, published on the All4Syria website, was said to be in response to requests from students and parents.

The issue of full face veils has caused controversy in other countries.

Kinda al-Shammat, a law professor and women's rights activist in Damascus, welcomed the decision and said it was in line with the Syrian belief in moderation.

"We have never gone to the extreme left or the extreme right," she told Al-Arabiya TV.
Secular identity

However the BBC's Lina Sinjab in Damascus says the ruling could be a sign that Syrian Society is becoming more conservative.

"In recent years, Syria has witnessed an Islamic revival with more and more women wearing the Hijab," she reports.

"This decision could be seen as a step by the government to enforce its secular identity."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-10684359

Soldato
yes it should be banned but only in public.
the burkha is a medieval instrument of subjugation, and has no place in the modern world.
the post above, is very interesting, as a middle eastern muslim country, has even decided to ban the burkha in higher education.
also i have been to turkey, and as a secular society i did not see the burkha once.

but as this is britain, i very much doubt that a full public ban will happen.

i do respect other peoples religion, culture and traditions and have no problem with a scarf covering the head.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Caporegime
lke i said about 30 pages ago, id advocate the ban of full facial garments in education, and public institutions as well as giving power for private insitutions to ban full head coverage on their premesis.

this includes obviously, banks, airports, and even driving instructors in their own motors.

Associate
lke i said about 30 pages ago, id advocate the ban of full facial garments in education, and public institutions as well as giving power for private insitutions to ban full head coverage on their premesis.

this includes obviously, banks, airports, and even driving instructors in their own motors.

would you also advocate banning makeup and masks?
The problem isn't with the veil per se and we all know that.

Soldato
they should ban the total face veil and the one that only shows your eyes.

yes its about womens place in society, but its just as much about security and intimidation. its not part of our culture or society.

Muslims should respect this as much as we would be expected to follow their traditions if we moved to their country

Soldato

good points too

Caporegime
should they HAVE to ask? if they do ask, does the customer have the right to refuse?

and is this the case in schools, universities? all these institutions should be protected by the same legislation...

would you also advocate banning makeup and masks?
The problem isn't with the veil per se and we all know that.

i said anything that covers the face, not necesarily a particular type of attire.

hence i used the term:

full facial garments

this may include a balaklava, a biker helmut or a scream mask.

there aint no flies on me:)

Associate
Yes, because in school(s) you arent suppost to even wear a hat/hoodie/trackies/scarf/anything that covers your school uniform and if i walk into any corner shops they tell me to take of my hat and i do without a fuss.
I could start my own religion where you have to always cover my neck/top of head/back of head but noooo that wouldnt be alloud.

Caporegime
I could start my own religion where you have to always cover my neck/top of head/back of head but noooo that wouldnt be alloud.

It would be allowed as long as you get enough people to say they belong to your religion and for you to then apply for religious status.

Also you'd have a very hard case unless you genuinely believe in this religion.

Caporegime
quite...

i believe its called, the Jedi.

why? do they check everyone to see just how religious they really are before accepting them? i dont believe thats possible.

is there a standardised 'how seriously do you take your religion' test?

and why would it not be descrimination to only test Jedi's for example and not islamic people?

remember we are trying to NOT descriminate here - not put up protective walls to certain religions...?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
should they HAVE to ask? if they do ask, does the customer have the right to refuse?

what's the problem with asking?

Yes customer can refuse but they have to leave.

I do not know about education. I don't see why it would be different though. it is up to the owners, which it should be. A ban does not solve anything, does not tackle the problem and is totally stupid.

Associate
It would be allowed as long as you get enough people to say they belong to your religion and for you to then apply for religious status.

Also you'd have a very hard case unless you genuinely believe in this religion.

I Dont believe in any religion, im a aithest and only believe in what i see tho i do think karma is ture but that isnt a religion is it?.

Back
Top Bottom