Poll: Poll: should the UK ban the islamic veil?

Sould the UK ban the Islamic veil as the French did?

• Yes, ban the veil in the UK

Votes: 688 64.9%
  • Don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach

Votes: 255 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 117 11.0%

• Total voters
Permabanned
So if a minority want it, it does make it right? just asking to see where you stand or are you on the fence again :)

Not necessarily. Neither am I on the fence. I don't agree with banning innocuous items of clothing simply because some people may be frightened of it.

If a woman is forced to wear a veil by their husband or imam or whoever against their will, then the punishment should be against the oppressor, not against those women who choose for whatever reason to wear a veil or cover their faces by their own choice.

What right have we to oppress those who choose of their own volition to wear the veil, that simply makes us as bad as those who force the wearing of the veil on those who do not wish to.

The Law should simply enforce the right to choose by the individual.

Soldato
Just because a majority may want a thing, doesn't make it right.

Quite true, thus we have a house of lords appinted to review the decisions made in the commons to see nothing is passed on whim or by stupid measure.
Still think some of of debate should occur, even if laws are not generated or passed.

The debate thus far has been political leaders stating 'no such law for britian', and thats the end of it.

Soldato
Not necessarily. Neither am I on the fence. I don't agree with banning innocuous items of clothing simply because some people may be frightened of it.

If a woman is forced to wear a veil by their husband or imam or whoever against their will, then the punishment should be against the oppressor, not against those women who choose for whatever reason to wear a veil or cover their faces by their own choice.

What right have we to oppress those who choose of their own volition to wear the veil, that simply makes us as bad as those who force the wearing of the veil on those who do not wish to.

The Law should simply enforce the right to choose by the individual.

Thank you ;)

Permabanned
Quite true, thus we have a house of lords appinted to review the decisions made in the commons to see nothing is passed on whim or by stupid measure.
Still think some of of debate should occur, even if laws are not generated or passed.

The debate thus far has been political leaders stating 'no such law for britian', and thats the end of it.

I have nothing against healthy constructive debate on any issue, including the veil.

I am not adverse to changing my opinion either, if it can be shown that the benefits of a ban especially toward women outweigh the right to choose of those who wear the veil.

Currently I do not think that case has been made to any degree. I am of the opinion that in any such situation the right of choice of the individual should be the default legal position.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-schools-EVERY-pupil-forced-to-wear-veil.html

Everyone comfortable with the idea of Islamic schools forcing girls to wear the niqab or burkha then? Thought so. It would be so oppressive to say this is not on. :rolleyes:

People will be along in a moment to explain that it is no different to being told to wear a uniform.

I personally think that is out of order but then, my children would never go within a mile of a place like that (if I had any :p)

Permabanned
Back
Top Bottom