Poll: ** The official Apple TV 4K thread (the 2021 model has a new remote and everything!) **

Are you buying the 4K Apple TV?

• Yes

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Not at the moment, maybe later

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters
Associate
https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-tv-4k/

Apple-TV-4K.png

Cupertino, California — Apple today introduced the new Apple TV 4K designed to deliver a stunning cinematic experience at home. With support for both 4K and High Dynamic Range (HDR), Apple TV 4K features unbelievably sharp, crisp images, richer, more true-to-life colors, and far greater detail in both dark and bright scenes. With Apple TV 4K, viewers can enjoy a growing selection of 4K HDR movies on iTunes. iTunes users will get automatic upgrades of HD titles in their existing iTunes library to 4K HDR versions when they become available. Apple TV 4K will also offer 4K HDR content from popular video services, including Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, coming soon.1

“Bring the magic of the cinema straight to your living room with the new Apple TV 4K,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. “Customers will love watching stunning 4K HDR movies from an impressive catalog on iTunes, while also getting automatic upgrades of 4K HDR movies already in their iTunes library and enjoying 4K content on services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, coming soon.”

Built on the groundbreaking A10X Fusion chip — the same chip that powers iPad Pro — the new Apple TV 4K delivers a vivid 4K HDR experience.
  • Support for both Dolby Vision and HDR10 ensures users can enjoy incredible-looking TV shows and movies on any HDR TV.
  • Built-in high-performance 4K video scaler makes HD content look better than ever on a 4K TV.
  • Always outputting to the highest resolution possible allows viewers to get the most out of their TV, whether it’s an older HDTV or the latest 4K Dolby Vision OLED.
  • Automatic detection of a 4K TV’s capabilities optimizes setup for the best quality picture.

Who's picking up one of these then?

I'm going to pop by an Apple Store on my way into work on Friday and get a 32gb version and put the 4th Gen one we have into the bedroom.

Soldato
I'm struggling to see the point in the Apple TV. If you're after 4K HDR then you'll already have a decent TV which will likely have the likes of Netflix and Amazon apps. So the only purpose of the Apple TV appears to be play iTune content.

Associate
OP
I'm struggling to see the point in the Apple TV. If you're after 4K HDR then you'll already have a decent TV which will likely have the likes of Netflix and Amazon apps. So the only purpose of the Apple TV appears to be play iTune content.

That is certainly the major pull for owning an Apple TV. I have an ever growing library of iTunes movies that will now be given a free UHD upgrade which is pretty massive.

Associate
I was waiting for it but there are few things that put me off, price, no dolby atmos (not sure if possible to add it in the future through firmware update).

Bonus is 4K movies for decent price (not available currently on TVs not sure why).

I'll wait for some reviews.

Commissario
I've made this into an 'official' thread and added a poll.

I have no immediate plans to get one of these - Although my current Apple TV is used on a daily basis, my telly isn't 4K and I'm not planning on changing it at any time soon. What I've got suits me perfectly.

Associate
I've pre-ordered but I'm thinking of cancelling and getting the new Amazon 4K Fire TV box with built in echo dot functionality that is supposedly out very soon.

Associate

I think the appeal will be that while Netflix and Amazon do have films in 4k HDR the number is quite limited.

If you'd wanted to buy new films in 4k with HDR this was very expensive with many UHD discs selling for £25 - 30

Apple are selling their 4k HDR ( and dolby vision) content for the same price as their HD - this can be as low as £10 for a new release title like alien covenant of £4 for older titles like Kingsman.

Addionally any iTunes HD movies - including the free ones you might have gotten with a blu ray will be automatically upgrades to 4k at no cost.

No one else was selling 4k content at anything like this price.

Soldato
Addionally any iTunes HD movies - including the free ones you might have gotten with a blu ray will be automatically upgrades to 4k at no cost.

Interesting - do you have a source for that? I already have a few HD movies on iTunes; it'd be great if they're automatically upgraded to 4K :)

Soldato
Ordered mine as soon as it was available. As my movie collection is all on iTunes now I have a fair few 4K ones to try on Friday....

Looking forward to it...

Soldato
I've got the previous generation. It's a nice piece of equipment but it's major downfall is the lack of UK content, only BBC iPlayer has a dedicated app. Unlike rival products that have a full suite of catchup tv services - STV/ITV Player, All4, My5 and UKTV Play.
It amazes me that Apple hasn't helped them bring their existing iPhone/iPad apps to tvOS, hopefully this will change when the TV app launches.

It's great that Amazon is bringing Prime Video to tvOS though.

Associate
I've got the previous generation. It's a nice piece of equipment but it's major downfall is the lack of UK content, only BBC iPlayer has a dedicated app. Unlike rival products that have a full suite of catchup tv services - STV/ITV Player, All4, My5 and UKTV Play.
It amazes me that Apple hasn't helped them bring their existing iPhone/iPad apps to tvOS, hopefully this will change when the TV app launches.
It's great that Amazon is bringing Prime Video to tvOS though.

ITV and My5 have now announced apps

Together with the 'TV' app that apple are bringing out you'll now be able to browse one collated source for BBC iplayer, ITVhub, My5, NowTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime and iTunes

Associate
I have 100's of films on iTunes, and some of them will be upgraded to 4K FOR FREE is a big enough reason alone. Plus new UHD releases will be regular HD price so it's a no-brainer if you buy movies online as the Amazon & Google equivalents can cost more than twice as much.

Soldato
ITV and My5 have now announced apps

Together with the 'TV' app that apple are bringing out you'll now be able to browse one collated source for BBC iplayer, ITVhub, My5, NowTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime and iTunes

I saw My5 during the keynote but missed ITV. That's a step in the right direction, just need to get Channel4 and UKTV Play onboard now.

Back
Top Bottom