Poll: ** The official Apple TV 4K thread (the 2021 model has a new remote and everything!) **

Are you buying the 4K Apple TV?

• Yes

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Not at the moment, maybe later

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
81_E6_EB7_C-_C682-4491-_A493-_BDAEBD343_D7_A.jpg

Someone received their Apple TV today and it it seems like the Apple TV does support 24hz.

This looks incredibly confusing, why the need for all that, is there no Auto option.

Soldato
I thought the 2016 model also did 4K 60Hz DV but it seems not....

That is complete pant's.

Maybe Apple will sort that in an update.

Also about that DV 60hz thing on the B6, maybe LG will release a firmware one day, unless its a hardware limitation, some seem to think so, other's not. Maybe LG just don't want to put the effort in to do it.

Soldato
Just read and all 2016 OLED models can only do Dolby Vision at 4K 30Hz. All 2017 models support it at 60Hz.

Bit of a bummer but not an issue when watching movies and would be no issue if the Apple TV auto switched between inputs.

Associate
No.
Anyone with a 4K tv will have the all4 app directly built into the tv.
Why would one need to give apple money?

All4 have made apps for the amazon fire, Roku, consoles and many set top boxes.

There are many people that don't own a pre 4k TV with built in apps, and may have one of the older apple tvs or people with a 4k compatible projector that doesn't have any apps.

To make apps for so many platforms (including IOS which would be an easy port) but continually refuse to offer the platform to apple tv users isn't anything to do with 'giving apple money' it just excludes apple tv users.

Soldato
I still don't get it, the amount of people with 4K projectors without apps must be incredible small, which is what the channel 4 tweet was about.
Otherwise they'll have alternative sources for direct feed, or apps.

Associate
I still don't get it, the amount of people with 4K projectors without apps must be incredible small, which is what the channel 4 tweet was about.
Otherwise they'll have alternative sources for direct feed, or apps.

If the issue is the vast majority of people already have apps built into their TV's then why would channel 4 built apps for the Roku, FireTV, playstation, xbox, a tonne of DVD players, blu rays players, uhd4k players and DVB set top boxes?

If that market is so well served by tv's with built in apps why have BBC, ITVhub, My5, Netflix and Amazon all go apps for apple tv but not All4 ?

Soldato
Does it have Netflix and Amazon?
I thought it didn't and those will be added later.

maybe some channel4 exec once met or worked for Steve Jobs ;) and that's why they still take this view.
I've no idea how large channel4's app development team is.

Associate
Does it have Netflix and Amazon?
I thought it didn't and those will be added later.

maybe some channel4 exec once met or worked for Steve Jobs ;) and that's why they still take this view.
I've no idea how large channel4's app development team is.

Amazon, My5 and ITVhub have all announced their apps - Netflix has been on the platform since 2015

Well perhaps the head of All4 does have an ulterior motive - but thats not how a Broadcaster with a public service remit should be acting.

Soldato
Amazon, My5 and ITVhub have all announced their apps - Netflix has been on the platform since 2015

Well perhaps the head of All4 does have an ulterior motive - but thats not how a Broadcaster with a public service remit should be acting.

Yeah.
Does the apple TV run on iOS?
I thought Netflix and amazon do not work in 4k on the 4k box?
I thought that remained to arrive?

How many apple TVs have been sold in the UK?
I just ponder the costs versus usefulness.
I wonder does iplayer release any stats of what platforms iplayer was accessed using, it would be nice to compare, to see how many use their apple TV, or if it is just you wants it.

Associate
AppleTV runs on TvOs which is purposely similar to IOS for ease of porting over apps.

Netflix has had an apple tv app out since 2015 and it went 4k with the release of the 4k apple tv.

Amazon and apple ended their stalemate and announced the amazon app due before the end of the year.

I don't think apple release sales figures for the TV but again it begs the question how can Channel 4 justify developing individual apps for specific blu ray / DVD players / UHD players / Amazon fire / Roku / google play / playstation / xbox in the uk?

Soldato
It is interesting yes.
It would appear on BBC iplayer, they groups things into TVs, Mobiles, tablets, computers, and then others.
Others accounts for less than1 % of programme requests.
No doubt they have closer split figures, but it would seem xbox, playstation, appleTV etc all make up this other figure.
I would have thought Apple TV is rightly down that list.

Interesting Apple don't have sales figures.
Probably part of their tax schemes :)

Associate
I doubt their tax schemes are much different to other large manufacturers like amazon.

Nor do I really care - I’d just like a public service broadcaster to fairly support all platforms

Soldato
I doubt their tax schemes are much different to other large manufacturers like amazon.

Nor do I really care - I’d just like a public service broadcaster to fairly support all platforms

Yes, you've made that very clear.
You keep making the point they are a public service broadcaster, paid for by advertising.
Do you think the revenue stream from adverts on AppleTV would pay for the development of the app?
I'd assume if it did, they would have such support.

Associate
Yes, you've made that very clear.
You keep making the point they are a public service broadcaster, paid for by advertising.
Do you think the revenue stream from adverts on AppleTV would pay for the development of the app?
I'd assume if it did, they would have such support.

What point are you trying to make?

Associate
OP
Loving the 4K-ness that Apple have applied to about 70 of my films. Watched Wonder Woman tonight on my 2014 Samsung SDR UHD TV and it looked fantastic so you lucky lot with your OLED/HDR/DV TV’s will be in for a treat.

Soldato
Loving the 4K-ness that Apple have applied to about 70 of my films. Watched Wonder Woman tonight on my 2014 Samsung SDR UHD TV and it looked fantastic so you lucky lot with your OLED/HDR/DV TV’s will be in for a treat.

Source for the film?
Was it upscaled using the box?
Or from a 4k library?

Back
Top Bottom