Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Yes - 42mm non cellular

Votes: 49 28.0%
  • No, I won't be buying it

Votes: 71 40.6%

• Total voters
Commissario
OP
I also wouldn’t get an Apple watch if you just want it to tell the time, it’s not a great watch if I am honest. It’s more like an extension of your phone and a fit bit on steroids.
Not sure I agree with this bit - It tells the time perfectly so by definition, it's an excellent watch. It does exactly what a watch should, plus a lot more.

The software update thing is to be expected, there will always be a point where old hardware is no longer supported and that's why I'll never buy more than the most basic model Apple Watch. I don't tend to look at rumours because there are so many of them kicking around but it'll be nice to know what the new model has extra when it's announced. I was wrong last year when I said I thought they'd be on an eighteen month or two year release cycle. I guess they'll settle into annually now.

Soldato
Not sure I agree with this bit - It tells the time perfectly so by definition, it's an excellent watch. It does exactly what a watch should, plus a lot more.

The poster asked about just using it for basic features like telling the time, for that an Apple watch just isn't great compared to, well a normal watch!

You can't just glance at it, you have to make sure you do the gesture to wake the screen and it isn't 100%, charging daily for an S1/2, its pretty fragile, big and not particularly stylish (IMO) and a new one will be obsolete in 3 years. You don't have to worry about any of that with a normal watch, a decent one will last a lifetime.

If you just want to tell the time, buy a watch, you can get a pretty decent one for the cost of an Apple watch. If you want a smart watch to use smart watch features then save up for an S3 or wait for the S4. The S3 is a serious step up over the other two internally.

I wouldn't buy the S1 now, its pretty old, same with the S2.

Like I said I wear an S3 daily but I could never recommend one to just use with the basic features (aka tellling the time).

Last edited:
Soldato
I did find notifications of e-mail and messages handy though when I did have an Apple watch. But apart from that, its wasn't the most used item for versatility.

Associate
Anyone use the watch for running? I’m finding extremely varying results exporting from the Health/Workouts app to Strava. I’ve used both RunGap and Healthfit and all post very different split times so I’ve not got a clue which was accurate. Even the elevation is different between both RunGap and HealthFit!

I’d upload screenshots but can’t find a
way to upload them here.

Soldato
The poster asked about just using it for basic features like telling the time, for that an Apple watch just isn't great compared to, well a normal watch!

You can't just glance at it, you have to make sure you do the gesture to wake the screen and it isn't 100%, charging daily for an S1/2, its pretty fragile, big and not particularly stylish (IMO) and a new one will be obsolete in 3 years. You don't have to worry about any of that with a normal watch, a decent one will last a lifetime.

If you just want to tell the time, buy a watch, you can get a pretty decent one for the cost of an Apple watch. If you want a smart watch to use smart watch features then save up for an S3 or wait for the S4. The S3 is a serious step up over the other two internally.

I wouldn't buy the S1 now, its pretty old, same with the S2.

Like I said I wear an S3 daily but I could never recommend one to just use with the basic features (aka tellling the time).

Can't say I agree with any of your post bar the battery issue.

Soldato
Definitely looking forward to the S4. If rumours are to be believed they've managed to reduce the bevel size noticeably. Hopefully they'll keep the connector the same as I want my Juuk bands to still fit. :o

Soldato
Anyone use the watch for running? I’m finding extremely varying results exporting from the Health/Workouts app to Strava. I’ve used both RunGap and Healthfit and all post very different split times so I’ve not got a clue which was accurate. Even the elevation is different between both RunGap and HealthFit!

I’d upload screenshots but can’t find a
way to upload them here.

Bit late to the party but i just use the Strava watch app.

I have noticed a lot of differences though when trying different apps. My current thinking is just, as long as the app itself uses the same theories i can still track improvements and if i'm out by a couple points on a 6mile run then so be-it.

If i want something truly accurate i'll go back to Garmin.

fez

fez

Caporegime
If apps are reporting the data differently something is going wrong with one of the apps. They will both be getting the same data from the watch GPS so its how they decide to interpret the information. Some use motion tracking to assist etc which can give different results.

On a slightly related note, I just got one of the 38mm cellular series 3 from Nike for £195. I'm not sure if I am going to keep it or sell it at the moment but I prefer the nike band to the normal apple one I got on the last apple watch I bought a few years ago. I just don't know if I will use it enough to justify keeping it.

Soldato
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

The 4 will be out in about 2 weeks and cause prices to drop on the old modes. Also don't buy a 2, the internals are not great compared to the 3.

Soldato
Just looking on the Apple site @ the S3 and the price appears to have dropped from £329 to £309 for the 42mm I though Apple don't do discount or is that classed as a price reduction

for an extra £100 (roughly) I can't justify the cost

Thanks

Soldato
Just looking on the Apple site @ the S3 and the price appears to have dropped from £329 to £309 for the 42mm I though Apple don't do discount or is that classed as a price reduction

for an extra £100 (roughly) I can't justify the cost

Thanks

Its dropped down a tier now the S4 has replaced it. It will stay at that price until next year when it will be discontinued.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I had a series 0 42mm but found it uncomfortable and generally slow and not massively useful. I recently got a series 3 cellular 38mm for £180 and its been great. Tracks sleep, activity, gets notifications and one of the best things is that it auto unlocks my mac. I think the 42mm was too big for my girl wrists and the strap wasn't ideal either whereas now I have the smaller one with one of the nike material bands that is infinitely adjustable and soft so its much more comfortable. The series 4 looks great but I couldn't justify much more than I spent on the series 3 for one and I don't use half the stuff on the series 3 currently.

Soldato
I had a series 0 42mm but found it uncomfortable and generally slow and not massively useful. I recently got a series 3 cellular 38mm for £180 and its been great. Tracks sleep, activity, gets notifications and one of the best things is that it auto unlocks my mac. I think the 42mm was too big for my girl wrists and the strap wasn't ideal either whereas now I have the smaller one with one of the nike material bands that is infinitely adjustable and soft so its much more comfortable. The series 4 looks great but I couldn't justify much more than I spent on the series 3 for one and I don't use half the stuff on the series 3 currently.
Where did you get it at that price?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Where did you get it at that price?

There was an offer that Nike were doing a while ago where they reduced all the series 3 watches by quite a bit. A coupon code that shouldn't have been allowed to discount apple watches was also applied which brought the price down to £180 instead of nearly £400. It was on hotukdeals if you don't know about that site already.

Back
Top Bottom