• Yes - 40mm non cellular

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Yes - 44mm non cellular

Votes: 47 33.6%
  • No, I won't be buying it

Votes: 49 35.0%

• Total voters
Associate
Get the non cellular version? Cellular is point less if you have your phone with you all the time anyway.
Personally I have found the cellular version useful when out excercising or at the gym, you don’t need your phone with you so is handy for streaming music and a few times I have managed to receive important phone calls without having my phone with me actually forgotten to take my phone with me to work a few times and still been able to get email and text without the tether

Commissario
OP
Personally I have found the cellular version useful when out excercising or at the gym, you don’t need your phone with you so is handy for streaming music and a few times I have managed to receive important phone calls without having my phone with me actually forgotten to take my phone with me to work a few times and still been able to get email and text without the tether
I agree with this - I've been out on my bike without my phone and had calls come through which I really didn't want to miss. For the few occasions I've used the watch to receive calls, it's been very useful.

Soldato
Anyone familiar with Apple Giveback? When trading in a watch, is the price for the watch alone, or with a band / charger / box etc? It's unclear from the site (which is frankly ridiculous when determining value).

Caporegime
I think I'll finally get around to getting one of these, I was never going to bother with the first edition but have been tempted to get one later.. 4 versions in and it seems to have some neat health feature coming re: a built in ecg etc.. I'm quite tempted to pick one up.

Soldato
I think I'll finally get around to getting one of these, I was never going to bother with the first edition but have been tempted to get one later.. 4 versions in and it seems to have some neat health feature coming re: a built in ecg etc.. I'm quite tempted to pick one up.
ECG isn’t allowed on EU models unfortunately. Getting one outside the EU should get around this.

Associate
What is the standard warranty offered by Apple? Is it two years?

1 year

ECG isn’t allowed on EU models unfortunately. Getting one outside the EU should get around this.

The hardware is still there, but the software will detect your outside of the USA and disable the ECG for now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Anyone familiar with Apple Giveback? When trading in a watch, is the price for the watch alone, or with a band / charger / box etc? It's unclear from the site (which is frankly ridiculous when determining value).

Just the watch, no strap or anything else.

When will these be in store so we can physically see/touch the device, sorry I think I saw someone ask this before but can't find it :)

Friday

Soldato
The hardware is still there, but the software will detect your outside of the USA and disable the ECG for now?
I would be very surprised if it did this. Those picking up their watches in the US this month and next month will hopefully confirm.

I’m in New York first weekend in October hoping they will have the 44mm in stock by then
So far you seem to be the first one to be getting a US model. It would be great if you could confirm that ECG works on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I manage to get one i'll ECG myself back in the UK and update :)
Great. I read that the US won’t have it immediately but will come through an update. I will need to investigate more to see if this is the case and when it may come.

Edit: reading a bit more. It appears it is a separate app coming later this year. This could make it easier to control who can download it as UK app store will be controlled by EU regs at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
I better get one second weekend in October direct from the store in Boston, I know what apple are like with stock :(
I got my S3 from the San Francisco store at the beginning of November no problem. Obviously you are much closer to the release date so there could be stock issues but I expect it will be fine.

Soldato
Yes Apple will go through some lengths to disable the EKG outside of the US, because it needs to be whatever the equivalent of the FDA to approve it. They could get themselves in trouble.

As for the cellular Apple watch, does it allow for data or just cellular as in phone and texts ? Example can you stream music or make a facetime audio call from your watch if your phone wasn't present ? For just calls, i think $10 extra per month is a lot.. For the very occasional call you may have if your phone isn't present.

Soldato
Yes Apple will go through some lengths to disable the EKG outside of the US, because it needs to be whatever the equivalent of the FDA to approve it. They could get themselves in trouble.

As for the cellular Apple watch, does it allow for data or just cellular as in phone and texts ? Example can you stream music or make a facetime audio call from your watch if your phone wasn't present ? For just calls, i think $10 extra per month is a lot.. For the very occasional call you may have if your phone isn't present.
It supports data, Apple Music streaming etc.

Soldato
LOL i just ran the trade in calculator on the Apple website for my SS Original Apple Watch. Bearing in mind my watch is actually quite new. Apple replaced it for free, as i had the swollen battery issue that lifted the glass, not too long ago. I was impressed that they did this considering i dont have applecare. Anyway, they offered me $25... um i think i'll pass. Nope i'll just hold onto it and hope that one day it'll be worth something as first series apple products that are in mint condition, seem to go for a ton and are sought after by collectors. Who knows maybe one day i'll get a tidy sum for this original apple watch !

Back
Top Bottom