• iPhone 8 Plus 64Gb

Votes: 31 12.9%
  • iPhone 8 Plus 256Gb

Votes: 18 7.5%
  • No, I won't be buying it

Votes: 150 62.2%

• Total voters
Caporegime
I'm in a dilemma and struggling to decide between Space Grey and Silver. I'm coming from an iPhone 6 in Space Grey, where as now Space Grey is now much darker.

I've always had an iPhone with a black front but I'm really tempted by an iPhone 8 in Silver. It'll probably be going into a black case.

Anyone got any words of advice?
I’ve always had black phones, switched with the 8 to white and really pleased. Looks more stylish and doesn’t show up prints like black phones do.

Soldato
My wife's 8 plus seems to have an issue with sound recording during videos - during playback the video makes an electronic noise that sounds like that noise railway tracks make when you hear a train is approaching before you see it or like a star wars storm trooper's rifle firing. On a couple of occasions it has also recorded a static hiss. Could this be software related or hardware? I bought from John Lewis, will an Apple Store do a replacement for a new one? I also don't have the box or accessories with me as we're visiting my parents.

Soldato
Still undecided whether or not to upgrade to the 8. Currently using a 6 I’ve had since launch day and it’s starting to get a little slow in certain areas and the battery isn’t amazing.

Anyone else made the jump and happy?

Soldato
I did, via an S8+. I had an iPhone 6 Plus since release day and moved to an S8+ a few months ago but while I love the hardware and to quite an extent I really enjoyed Android, I just missed iOS too much. I picked up an iPhone 8 Plus a few days ago and I'm enjoying it. Partly because it's so good to be back on iOS, but all the little additions since the iPhone 6 have made it feel more of a substantial change. Granted, I've lost out on a few things from the S8+ but I haven't lost anything I actually care about so it's a change that works for me...though I may end up keeping the S8+ anyway as my work phone :)

It's a shame that the iPhone 8's design isn't any different but I can live with that (or I'd have waited for the X). However, it's the first iPhone since the iPhone 6 that's worthy of a jump up in my opinion. First thing that strikes you is that it's a LOT faster. The screen somehow seems to be better - I can't put my finger on exactly how but it's certainly nicer than my 6 is after having the two side-by-side. Battery life is quite a bit better too but obviously with my iPhone 6 now being 3 years old the battery has suffered since it was new. It's really nice to finally have wireless charging on an iPhone, too.

I realise you're talking about the regular devices rather than the Plus but it should still all pretty much hold up.

Soldato
The iPhone 8 Plus feels so nice in the hand with the glass back that I’m still using it without a case.

I’m tempted to look around for a replacement screen cover though as this tempered glass one I have at the moment seems to show fingerprints easier than the device itself.

Soldato
Just to add that the wood case i bought on the last page works with wireless charging. I tested it on a charger in the O2 shop.

Was going to order the Anker mat, but i decided i preferred a stand type charger so bought this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074DQC5PK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm in agreement about how fast the phone feels though, i don't recall noticing old phones being this responsive when new (coming from a 5S)

Soldato
After spending around 5 days with my 8 now I’m most impressed with the strides Apple appear to have made in the battery life.

I’m at 88% this morning which includes a mixture of You Tube viewing, listening to podcasts with my Bluetooth headphones, net browsing and app usage all white connected to my Withings Steel HR. With my S8 I would have been way down and even on my iPhone 7 it didn’t perform as well as this with the battery.

It’s nice to at no point so far have I felt the need to reach for my charging cable to give my phone a boost, it’s easily lasted a full day in my usage so far, very impressed.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Just to add that the wood case i bought on the last page works with wireless charging. I tested it on a charger in the O2 shop.

Was going to order the Anker mat, but i decided i preferred a stand type charger so bought this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074DQC5PK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also ordered this one, should be delivered today. Will report back when I try it out.

After spending around 5 days with my 8 now I’m most impressed with the strides Apple appear to have made in the battery life.

I’m at 88% this morning which includes a mixture of You Tube viewing, listening to podcasts with my Bluetooth headphones, net browsing and app usage all white connected to my Withings Steel HR. With my S8 I would have been way down and even on my iPhone 7 it didn’t perform as well as this with the battery.

It’s nice to at no point so far have I felt the need to reach for my charging cable to give my phone a boost, it’s easily lasted a full day in my usage so far, very impressed.

Completely agree with this. Battery life is amazing in comparison to my 6S.

Soldato
Yeah the battery is quite a step up from my 3 year old iPhone 6, too :)

I was curious to see how the battery in my 8 Plus would hold up against my S8+ considering it's only a 2691mAh battery vs the S8+'s 3300mAh, but there isn't a lot in it. I'd say the S8+ does last longer, but certainly for my usage, it's not a significant difference. I did only have my S8+ set to FHD+ instead of the top WQHD+ resolution though to save battery - if the res slider was maxed out then the iPhone 8 Plus would certainly last longer.

Soldato
Also ordered this one, should be delivered today. Will report back when I try it out.

Got it yesterday. The base has quite a big footprint. I think i'd have preferred a smaller heavier base to provide stability but thats just nit picking!

I will be on the hunt for some tape to cover the status LED. I don't understand why companies insist on huge lights on things like this. I want it for next to my bed, i don't need a big green/blue bar lighting up my room!

On the plus side i woke up today with 100% so it's definitely working.

Soldato
Soldato
What do you guys think of this review, (found it on the MR site but is actually by the Guardian), fair or unfair? https://www.theguardian.com/technol...8-plus-review-big-phablet-camera-battery-life

I disagree.

The review is totally subjective, the author might as well put down “in my opionion” in every statement he/she made in this article.

Whether the phone is the right size is dependent on the user, not the author. And reusing one design makes it dated, but not necessarily ugly. You want an updated design? Here is an iPhone X, it looks silly to me. So is the Note 8. Deploying an edge less screen but makes everything distort at the edge just looks weird. Again - subjective.

Reviews these days need to clarify the subjectivity in their articles tbh, the choice of words and phrasing is more like brainwashing fanboys than giving constructive opinions.

Soldato
I disagree.

The review is totally subjective, the author might as well put down “in my opionion” in every statement he/she made in this article.

Whether the phone is the right size is dependent on the user, not the author. And reusing one design makes it dated, but not necessarily ugly. You want an updated design? Here is an iPhone X, it looks silly to me. So is the Note 8. Deploying an edge less screen but makes everything distort at the edge just looks weird. Again - subjective.

Reviews these days need to clarify the subjectivity in their articles tbh, the choice of words and phrasing is more like brainwashing fanboys than giving constructive opinions.

I think the point the author of the review was making was that the design does now look very dated four years on (iPhone 7 user BTW) and for the screen size the phone is overly large. I have looked at the plus myself and found it unwieldy especially given the size of the screen real-estate. It was good for its time, but things move on. However, that is simply my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom