• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
So far today, my XS has 3hrs 50 screen on time and i was using it as a hotspot for an hour, which usually sucks the battery pretty quickly. Current battery percentage is 50.

My old galaxy s8 would be sub 10 percent with the same usage, perhaps already out of juice. In spite of my initial reluctance to buy this iphone, I’m really impressed by the performance, battery life and how it feels in the hand.

Man of Honour
What network are you on?

Do you see the phone switch to 3G for voice calls?

It’s entirely possible that if your network doesn’t support VoLTE, it’s switching you back to 3G for voice calls (CSFB). Which sounds great until you find yourself in an area where you have good 4G service, but poor 3G service.
I'm on EE, it's set to calls and data.

Soldato
So far today, my XS has 3hrs 50 screen on time and i was using it as a hotspot for an hour, which usually sucks the battery pretty quickly. Current battery percentage is 50.

My old galaxy s8 would be sub 10 percent with the same usage, perhaps already out of juice. In spite of my initial reluctance to buy this iphone, I’m really impressed by the performance, battery life and how it feels in the hand.
Leagues ahead of Android right ? I’m so glad I switched to iPhone (back when the SE first released) and I’ve never looked back. The quality Apple put out on their devices cannot be matched.

Caporegime
Leagues ahead of Android right ? I’m so glad I switched to iPhone (back when the SE first released) and I’ve never looked back. The quality Apple put out on their devices cannot be matched.

Not at all when it comes to battery life, I've just moved to Android and the battery life is epic. Pocophone is just silly value and easily gets 2 days per charge.

Software wise I'd totally agree though, iOS is my favourite by a mile. Apple have got too silly with their pricing for me, plus their hardware is just too fragile and expensive for repairs.

Soldato
What use is a two day battery if the software and user experience is bad ? My iPhone Xs easily lasts all day with usually 30% left when I put it on charge at night.

Man of Honour
First one had small gaps around the screen, rough edges around the thin plastic bezel and a tiny gap between the bottom and steel band I could fit the edge of a piece of paper in.

Second one has a rough edge all down one side at the back where the glass doesn’t line up with the band. Sending that back Tuesday and will try my luck a third time.

I think the band is meant to be slightly larger than glass, that stops it insta cracking when you drop it... they are all like it

Apple QC / QA is so high, the odds of you having two bad phones are like winning the lottery

Caporegime
What use is a two day battery if the software and user experience is bad ? My iPhone Xs easily lasts all day with usually 30% left when I put it on charge at night.

I was deeply sceptical but for a third the price of even the cheapest iPhone with better battery life and similar overall performance (OS aside) it isn't that bad. Although the first week was like nails down a chalkboard having been a decade long iOS user.

The only reason for the comment wasn't to derail the thread but to point out battery life on Android is actually similar or better than iOS in even the budget arena currently.

Man of Honour
Anyone else waiting for the XR? If I pre-order can I select to pick it up in store?

The 128gb XR is the one for me I think. Looked at the XSs today and the max is great but soooo expensive for the 256gb. The XS looked good too but eh, not, interested in paying that much - happy with the compromises on the XR.

Last edited:
Soldato
£17.14 - some of that was a handling fee and some VAT. Would have been less if I'd just ordered the case obviously (I'm sure most screen protectors are the same material just some have better coverage than others). Live and learn.

When did you get hit with the customs charge Somna? I got one based on your recommendation and it's a fantastic fit, adds that extra bit of grip and literally no bulk. It's on my X not an XS though :p I only ordered the case so I'm hoping I slip through the net :cool:

Soldato
When did you get hit with the customs charge Somna? I got one based on your recommendation and it's a fantastic fit, adds that extra bit of grip and literally no bulk. It's on my X not an XS though :p I only ordered the case so I'm hoping I slip through the net :cool:

Letter through the door saying I had a fee to pay (either at the sorting office or online) before I could receive the items. Typical I get stung and other people don't!

It's a really good case isn't it?

Associate
Anyone else waiting for the XR? If I pre-order can I select to pick it up in store?

The 128gb XR is the one for me I think. Looked at the XSs today and the max is great but soooo expensive for the 256gb. The XS looked good too but eh, not, interested in paying that much - happy with the compromises on the XR.

I’d like to use one in person before getting an order placed. Had a new battery in my 6s so I think I will stick it out until next year, hopefully the prices won’t just keep going up and up.

Associate

Yes I’m waiting for one was hoping on pre order day they’d have some on demo but it appears not .

So I’ll wait till there out to go and look at one .

Man of Honour
I’d like to use one in person before getting an order placed. Had a new battery in my 6s so I think I will stick it out until next year, hopefully the prices won’t just keep going up and up.
I’m rocking a 6S too. Still good other than the battery.

I compared the XS and the 6S in store today and whilst there was a difference when A/Bing the screens when zooming in on text, it really wasn’t a crazy difference and was totally not noticeable at any usual distance from your head, although I’m talking about web browsing here. I presume the range of colours and the higher spec screen becomes far more apparent when watching HDR content.

I also thought all the phones in the shop had really warm screens compared to the 6S. They were like my 6S on night mode. The whites were all beige-ish.

Caporegime

I compared the XS and the 6S in store today and whilst there was a difference when A/Bing the screens when zooming in on text, it really wasn’t a crazy difference and was totally not noticeable at any usual distance from your head, although I’m talking about web browsing here. I presume the range of colours and the higher spec screen becomes far more apparent when watching HDR content.

I also thought all the phones in the shop had really warm screens compared to the 6S. They were like my 6S on night mode. The whites were all beige-ish.
That’s probably because they had the option truetone on. It’s enabled by default so when I got mine I disabled it and the screen looks white to me.

As for the prices not going up next yr or yr after?? I’ll bet you next yrs phone will be as expensive as this yrs or more expensive. Just have to get used to that now I think. Is it worth the £1200?? No not in any way shape or form but the upgrade program makes it a little bit easier to swallow as it’s 0% apr over 20mths.

Absolutely love the my xs 256gb, camera is out of this world. Never took many pics with my 6s but with the xs I’m always taking pics to see just how nice they are.

Associate

I just got a new battery for £25 so happy on that front. I’d like a better camera so the XS/R look like good options but to be honest the XR might be a bit too big and the XS is just too expensive :p

Back
Top Bottom