• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Mine arrived (Xs Max 256GB - SG), its a nice upgrade over the iPhone 8 Plus as that phone only had 64GB and I was always running now.

The new gesture based controls take a while to get used to as does no home button.

Commissario
OP
The new gesture based controls take a while to get used to as does no home button.
I went back to my iPhone 7 less than a week after I got the Xs Max to erase it and found myself trying to swipe up from the bottom to get home. It's amazing how quickly the gestures become second nature.

Soldato
Not to start a war, but here to share my experience after switching. Have my XS Max for a little over a month now. I came from a Note8 (still using it) and my main phone is the XS Max. The last iPhone I used was an iPhone 5, and I didnt really enjoy that phone.
Things I miss from Android:
- Dual time zone clock when roaming. I am a frequent traveller and with my Note8 this will automatically show on my lock screen as soon as I switch off airplane mode when in a different country.
- Organizing the grid of icons is a pain compared to Android. (I knew this from the start, but really really annoying).
- Agree with the poster above that media consumption on my older Note8 is a more pleasant experience compared to the XS Max.
- Apps dont truly multitask. ie Downloading offline songs in Spotify require me to stay in the Spotify app with the screen timeout set to an extended time. With my Note8 I can download songs with the screen locked or when having other apps open.
- USB C port

Things I like:
- FaceID works great. Not missing the fingerprint scanner at all.
- Gestures works great and is very intuitive. I got used to it quickly that when I use my Note8 I sometimes find myself doing the same gestures on it.
- AirDrop is awesome.

Will be keeping the XS Max and hoping for a USB C iPhone next year. Also waiting for my 12.9" iPad pro to come. (Currently using a Tab S3, which isnt really comparable to the iPad)

You have to be in Spotify to download songs? That can't be right can it.

Soldato
Sadly I find it is the case :(

Amazon Prime Video seems to manage to download videos while not in the app though so I assume it’s just bad programming rather than Apple’s fault

Soldato
A biased XR owner here but my answer would be “lol, no, not for any typical use”. And the XR isn’t even 1080p :p

The HDR and ‘deeper blacks’ more more noticeable on the XS screen.

I had an Xs and Xr side by side in John Lewis on Saturday and I had a vary hard time telling the difference between the two screens without getting my face right in it.

Sure blacks were blacker and I can see the HDR making a difference but 458ppi vs 326ppi was impossible to differentiate between the two at a normal face/phone distance. I guess that’s the point of ‘retina’.

Sure when you get your face 5cm away then yes you can just tell but otherwise no, there is no perceivable difference in sharpness. I have to say I am impressed with the LCD in the Xr, it was very good indeed.

So the notion of needing greater than 1080P YouTube on a phone is completely lost on me. I bet most couldn’t tell between 720p and 1080p on a phone (assuming decent bit rate on both, I know that is the main reason to go higher on YouTube regardless of resolution).

Soldato
Put a Note 9 @1440p running YouTube next to the Xs/Xr.
This really not what I was meaning when I brought it up, it’s the fact last years model, you know, the one people ‘upgrade’ from runs YouTube at 1440p from my understanding.You would think the newer phone would do the same. Doesn’t really matter if some people can’t see the difference, the feature should be there none the less. Was running 1080p on a Note 3
Sitting my 8 Plus next to the Xs Max running HDR ‘The Martian’ shows very little difference, guess I expected more

Soldato
So the manufacturers should play the numbers game and increase the resolution per inch of displays year on year, thus requiring more CPU power, memory, data transfer over already stretched mobile networks and ultimately more battery capacity even though it's not discernible to the human eye beyond about 5 inches?

Right. That makes sense.

Soldato
Any difference will be in the HDR and OLED rather than the number of pixels on the screen. Even the most hardcore tech reviewers say the high resolution screens are pointless and a waste of battery life as you simply can not see the difference from normal viewing distance. It's just a who has the biggest number competition when all that matters is the experience.

Assuming the same bit rate for both all the higher resolution does is use more bandwidth and battery power so its completely irreverent. I'm not defending Apple here, its just a simple fact.

I was very wary of Apples decisions on the Xr screen being the owner of a 'plus' device, but I really had pixel peep to see the difference in sharpness which is just not normal.

Soldato
So the manufacturers should play the numbers game and increase the resolution per inch of displays year on year, thus requiring more CPU power, memory, data transfer over already stretched mobile networks and ultimately more battery capacity even though it's not discernible to the human eye beyond about 5 inches?

Right. That makes sense.
Failing to read my post. The new Xs ain’t showing YouTube at the same quality as the old X. Not really great is it??

Soldato
Can you tell?

Between an X and Xs I haven’t tried, only had an 8 Plus. Not much between the two.
There is an obvious difference between 1440p on the S9/N9 and 8 though so would be nice if the extra res gets near that, even if the screen aint as sharp as the Samsung.

It’s also the fact people seem fine to pay this over the top money when it has a shortfall over the previous model like that. Seems people don’t want to admit faults/shortcomings when they have paid the Apple Tax. Pay top dollar, people should expect better.

Still on the fence, horrible notch with less impressive screen or a stupid curved screen with crushed blacks.

Soldato
I’m confused, you said the Xs isn’t doing YouTube at the same quality as an X but the said you don’t have an X and have an 8 Plus and a Note.

As far as I can tell youtube streams at 1080p HDR on both the X and the Xs. iPhone 8 (and plus) does 1080p non HDR maximum. Non do 1440p (which you can’t tell anyway unless you have the screen 1” from your face).

Soldato
If you hold a mobile phone no more than a 1ft away from your eye, and have PERFECT 20/20 vision the screen must have a ppi of 477 for you to be unable to see any pixels. That's the maximum human eyes can see.

However, normal human vision can't detect any meaningful difference over 286 ppi

The XR has a ppi of 326 which is why most people can't see any difference in SHARPNESS between the XR and XS. I'd actually bet, that all things being equal other than resolution, that nobody could tell in a blind test.

According to those who toil away in research labs, the human eye can not discern granular detail when it is higher than 300 PPI. Hence Apple's 326 PPI display in the iPhone 4 back in 2010. Yes, some—notably Dr. Raymond Soneira of DisplayMate—have argued that no display will be perfectly "retina" until it has a density of 477 PPI. But others, like University of Utah professor Bryan Jones, dispute the basis of Soneira's reasoning, arguing that from a foot away, displays will actually appear retina when greater than 287 PPI. But even Soneira acknowledeged that the retina effect kicks in when a 300 PPI display is held 18 inches away. You know. Where you hold your phone.

Last edited:
Soldato
The battery on the XS continues to impress me. I took mine off charge at about 7am on Friday morning and it's still got 16% remaining. It hasn't had a huge amount of use but it has been used for internet stuff and even for the odd phone call.

Back
Top Bottom