• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
I average about 23GB a month and I wouldn't say I'm a heavy user. I don't really use social media so it's mostly Reddit, internet use, Streaming apps (youtube/nowtv) or Apple Music. My highest recent month is 37GB but I think I used the tethered connection a fair bit that month.

Dude, that's well above average and well into the 'heavy user' category (not top 1% mind). Most normal's have under 10GB on their contracts. It's pretty difficult to get above 5GB unless you are you are either very heavy into social media, streaming audio/video or tethering.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...ile-users-wasting-3-4gb-data-every-month.html

Average usage is 2.5GB/month. In 2017 Ofcom said the average was 1.9GB/month.

Associate
Looking back on this thread I see there are some deal hunters in here. I managed to get one of these recently for £149 upfront £53pcm 24 month contract with free spotify on vodafone, XS Maxx 80GB of data and that was on an early upgrade from a sim only contract. I ran my details through carphone's and mobiles.co.uk's upgrade checkers and then they called me. The deal wasn't advertised at the time and I think it's pretty good so worth a go.

Soldato
Dude, that's well above average and well into the 'heavy user' category (not top 1% mind). Most normal's have under 10GB on their contracts. It's pretty difficult to get above 5GB unless you are you are either very heavy into social media, streaming audio/video or tethering.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...ile-users-wasting-3-4gb-data-every-month.html

Average usage is 2.5GB/month. In 2017 Ofcom said the average was 1.9GB/month.

Really? I remember when 02 first got the iPhone I had unlimited data on that, then when after a while they removed it and gave users 2GB a month for a bit. It was at that point I left 02 and went to 3 for unlimited data.
I say I'm not a heavy user but that's as i don't spend all day on instagram/snapchat like some of my friends. I guess my consumption is mostly Apple Music and Youtube. I should say I rarely use my wifi unless I have no signal.

I'd clear that 2GB in a couple of days! Yikes

Soldato
@Junlist, you certainly are a heavy user but that's mostly because there are millions that use hardly anything, then again I only have a 5gb plan and I am not exactly a technophobe. I just don't feel the need to stream video when I am away from home or need to tether.

Instagram and Snapchat are child's play compared to YouTube when it comes to data. A few mins on YouTube will use far more data then a teenager spewing out selfies all day.

720p videostream uses about 15mb per min, 1080P is 34mb per min, a 5 min video would be 75mb and 170mb respectively, plus the advert. It doesn't take much to rip through a data plan.

Apple Music is about 50mb per hour unless you force it to high quality, still adds up quickly.

Soldato
Yeah I suppose it does all add up quickly. Plus I do use a lot of YouTube at work on my phone as I like to listen to a few youtubers as I work.

I don’t really tether that often but it’s handy when I go away or like a month or so ago, internet had cut out for a couple of days so the tethering came in very handy then.

How on earth do you use less than 500mb a month?! Even a few AppStore updates would push it beyond that. This is one of the reasons I find it hard to switch from Three even though I want an eSIM. No other network gives me as much as I need for as cheap as I get it (unlimited data/unlimited tethering - £20 a month)

Soldato
Well there’s the fact you get reception in far more places if you move away from Three.
Reception isn’t too bad with Three in Bristol but venture out and it’s a bit a rubbish/spotty.

EE have a £20 deal which gives 25GB data but not sure if tethering is included neither all the travel destinations. It’s active for a month so may consider. It’s a 12 month one though.

Do EE have visual voicemail? One of my most missed things

Soldato
I don't find 3 too bad, I seldom find myself in places that don't have a signal and other people do. I love thee abroad destinations, particularly they are places that i frequent. I also like it has tethering since I can use my laptop on the go. Been with them for over 7 years now.

Exact reasons why I find it so hard to switch. EE may well be the fastest and cover the most areas but I find Three the much better deal.

Caporegime
Exact reasons why I find it so hard to switch. EE may well be the fastest and cover the most areas but I find Three the much better deal.

The most important thing is that it covers the places you go to, it matters not that it gets better coverage in some island in Scotland if I never go there. What is more important, for me, is the abroad usage and also the tether.

Speed - i am on the go so i don't expect fibre speed, get google maps working for me, news loaded, it's all one really needs.

The only other thing I'd like is the Spotify inclusion that Vodafone gets, that is pretty good as it is £9.99 a month.

Man of Honour
EE have a £20 deal which gives 25GB data but not sure if tethering is included neither all the travel destinations. It’s active for a month so may consider. It’s a 12 month one though.

Do EE have visual voicemail? One of my most missed things

Yes there is visual voicemail and tethering is included.

I moved from Three to O2 and reception around Gloucester and on travels was far superior. I then moved to EE and it was better again. I think EE are having some congestion issues now as around busy venues the reception shows 4G but doesn't work, unlike friends on Vodafone in the same place.

Soldato
Yes there is visual voicemail and tethering is included.

That was the bit I missed the most about leaving O2. Had the 3G and 4 on 02 then went to just buying the phones and sim free deals. I thought I had to go on a different contract for tethering but maybe I need to read it again. It's just the 25GB that I worry about. Ridiculous, I know, but I don't want to change my habbits to fit a contract when I have one that fits me already.

I moved from Three to O2 and reception around Gloucester and on travels was far superior. I then moved to EE and it was better again. I think EE are having some congestion issues now as around busy venues the reception shows 4G but doesn't work, unlike friends on Vodafone in the same place.

Yeah a friend of mine is on EE and he gets really good reception and had a better connection in Holland than I did.

Man of Honour
Roaming with Three and O2 is terrible, absolutely dreadful to be honest. But if you're happy with Three then stick with them. I just couldn't stand being in Gloucester city center and near home and reception would be borderline useful.

Caporegime
The most important thing is that it covers the places you go to, it matters not that it gets better coverage in some island in Scotland if I never go there. What is more important, for me, is the abroad usage and also the tether.

Speed - i am on the go so i don't expect fibre speed, get google maps working for me, news loaded, it's all one really needs.

The only other thing I'd like is the Spotify inclusion that Vodafone gets, that is pretty good as it is £9.99 a month.
Tbh Spotify isn’t that great compared to Apple Music, I find Apple Music better with more of the lesser known songs compared to Spotify.
I’m with Voda and have Spotify with my sim plan but honestly I’m using Apple Music more now, I’ve kinda ditched Spotify even though it’s free but £10 a mth for Apple Music isn’t a bank breaker.

One good thing with Voda is that because I travel to Canada quite often, my inclusive minutes and data are included so I can now roam without having to worry about paying £5 a day like I used to before.

Soldato
Got refunded by customs for their exorbinate fees for that Bare case, which was nice. Lobbed it though as it's scratched to hell and had started to lose it's shape slighty. Got a Tozo flexible TPU one off Amazon for the time being for a tenner, similar sort of case but has the visible microdots, isn't that tight a fit from what I can see and is a bit bulkier. I'm going to have to spend £50 on the Pitaka case aren't I, I just wish they offered it in something other than black.

Soldato
Really liking the XR. It's a nice upgrade in terms of size and look from the 6S that I had before - I guess the screen size would be like a 6S plus. 128Gb storage will probably never get full, but with the camera being so good it might start to fill up. With streaming music and video services being as they are, there isn't much need for offline storage for media. If I'm honest, the 6S was such a good phone that I'm not noticing any particular speed benefits. I'm definitely keeping hold of it as a backup (although it'll need a new screen!).

I know the screen isn't as good as the OLED, but it's still very sharp and seeing as I've never had an OLED screen, I won't know what I'm missing.

I'm still getting used to not having a home button, but it's not been as painful as I had thought. Face ID has worked surprisingly well so far... let's see how it copes when I shave off my beard later in the year! I've also gone back to a lipped case rather than a sleeve. Even though not being able to see and touch the phone in all its glory, hopefully it'll keep it functioning better for longer.

Back
Top Bottom