• Total voters
Associate
The most silly thing is unconsistency with swipe up in ios now,
Ipad - app dock
Iphone - control center
Iphone X - home screen

Very non apple (android) style.

Don
Different but very natural when you switch to each device you instinctively know what to do and doesn’t feel like it’s an adjustment or different

I've had the iPhone X for a week now and I've started to swipe up on my iPad for the home screen. It's quite jarring to be honest to have different gestures within the same operating system on different devices.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I've had the iPhone X for a week now and I've started to swipe up on my iPad for the home screen. It's quite jarring to be honest to have different gestures within the same operating system on different devices.
Yeah same here. I keep wanting to swipe up on my iPad Pro. Maybe they'll release an iOS update where it's an option? Called the "iPhone X owners'" option.

Soldato
Right, some initial impressions.

I love the bump in screen size from a 4.7" screen.

Tru Tone Seems nice.

Sure the blacks seem black, but I'm not sure how much I'll appreciate the OLED over the LCD of the 7.

I love the wireless charging.

I love animoji, they're so stupid and fun. And they really freak my friends out, which is brilliant.
It's very annoying that they're limited to 10 seconds in the Messages app and you have to send them in order to then save it and share them in another app (ie. What's App)
Just give us an animoji app so we can record whatever we want and share it. **** forcing us to use iMessage to use it and then jump through hoops to share it in on other mediums.

At first I found it weird touching above the notch in the middle for return to top in an app. But I've just realised you can touch either corner next to the notch to return to the top now instead, which is nice.

I love that the extra space below the keyboard means the keyboard switcher is a proper toggle now and the button doesn't shift position. That's been doing my nut in for years when switching between keyboards.

I've encountered loads of iOS11 UI glitches where buttons get hidden and I can't use them until until I force close the app, or parts of the UI overlap with other parts. Which makes it feel shoddy.

Gestures take a lot of getting use to with regards to the app switcher.
The swiping up on an app in the app switcher sending you to home without closing anything throws me and seems redundant. And I'm often doing it by mistake when scrolling through the apps.
If you're going to force us to press and hold to force close apps, then disable that gesture completely when not in force close mode, and continue to use swipe up from the bottom of the screen to exit to home.

I hate the control center being top right now, especially being a lefty. It means I can't open it using reachability without compromising my grip. Not something I want to do when on a packed, bumpy train.

I absolutely hate that the audio controls in the control center are forced to be in the top half of the screen now. It completely messes my my one handed usage when commuting.

Reachability doesn't work at all on the control center :rolleyes:

I hate that you can't see the battery percentage from the lock and home screen anymore and you're forced to use the control center (see above gripes)

Face ID is great when I'm holding the phone, but such a pain in the arse any other time.

ie. driving, on the charger that's not pointed directly at my face, on a bench in the gym, on a table when I'm not standing directly over it.

It actually makes it much more dangerous to use when driving - I use google maps for sat nav and don't always leave the screen on. So when I want to wake the phone to see the directions it doesn't work, and I have to type in my 8 digit pass code, which feels incredibly dangerous. Previously a light touch of my thumb would do it and I didn't even have to look away from the road as it's a tactile button I can feel for.

All in all, the software and UI feels half baked and comprimised to accomodate for the notch and change to a buttonless phone.

The jury is still out on on FaceID, will have to see if it starts to learn me from the odd angles I used it at when doing the above activities.

It needs work, but the form factor is great.

Feels rushed. But I love the screen for web browsing, screen to size ratio, upgraded camera, more storage, better battery, faster CPU for upcoming augmented reality apps etc. and my laptop is a Mac so I use desktop Messages a lot to send texts, so I guess I'll almost certainly be keeping it.

Last edited:
Soldato
You shouldn’t be using your phone whilst driving. The only dangerous part of that equation is you.

Not sure what your saying is well thought out - I use my phone for sat nav, which many people do..........but its an android phone so the screen doesn't go off when sat nav is in operation - I would suggest the guy who is using google maps get something else like co pilot (the only reason id imagine he wants the screen off is its to bright at night with google maps.........where as co pilot has a night mode)

But yes I don't touch the phone once my destination is input and I start driving.

Soldato
You shouldn’t be using your phone whilst driving. The only dangerous part of that equation is you.

I knew someone would call me out on that. I don't use my phone when driving apart from the satnav.

It's no different from having a dedicated sat nav device and switching the screen off or one built into the dash.

In fact, I'd say it's a lot safer than one built into the dash because I can position my phone much closer to my natural line of sight so my eyes don't veer as far from the road when glancing at it.

I don't want to turn this into a debate about whether using a phone as a sat nav is safe or not.

The truth is, a huge number of people use their phones as sat navs daily, and my observation is that if you do so, and if you don't have the screen on for 100% of the journey then you may have difficulty when unlocking it via FaceID as opposed to TouchID.

With TouchID you can reach over and unlock your phone without taking your eyes off the road at all and the directions will immediately appear. With FaceID, depending on your driving position you may have to enter your passcode which is far more dangerous, and something I'm not comfortable doing while the vehicle is moving.

Associate
Have you tried turning off extra security for the time you drive? It might be better and you don't have to look at it

"attention for face id "

Soldato
Ahh, that's a good shout. That may work.

Although I think the real issue is your face needs to be within a certain distance range from the sensor and my seating position is beyond that range when the phone is mounted in the window.

I tested it in a bit more detail when I got home and parked up earlier, and it seems I had to bring my head closer for it to work consistently. Even if I stare intently at it from my normal position, it doesn't unlock.

Until the dot sensor gets a better field of view and can detect in a deeper range, I'm not sure how much use the current version will be in many situations, whether you're in a drivers seat or engaging in any other activity where you're trying to unlock it from a slightly odd position.

Back
Top Bottom