• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Permabanned
The packaging with every iPhone always did hint to us what was going to come...

6_A854478-662_F-4_CC5-86_EF-_BEA7_A707_C00_C.jpg

Soldato
That's the problem isn't it.

Whatever hardware you own, iOS is still iOS and your user experience basically stays the same.

Everything runs very slick though on the latest hardware and the cameras are really good (unless you try the absolute pile of garbage that is portrait mode)

Yep, exactly. Even though it's 2~3 years old, the 6S+ is still a capable phone and as you say, they make sure iOS is slick no matter what platform.

I've been using the X a bit more in anger today, I actually like the face ID unlock, very slick on my ugly mug!! It's ever so slightly bigger screen is surprisingly noticeable too, so when I'm sitting on the coach home tonight watching Christmas movies, I hope to enjoy that little bit more!!

Mrs HB has a 7+ and I stole her headphones as I broke mine (So lightening connector instead of phono) - whilst it did work on my 6S+ - there was always a massive delay in fast forwarding or rewinding tracks using the remote, however I'm happy that's now gone with the X. (I also have Beats Bluetooth too!)

Associate
Picked up my 256gb Silver X yesterday afternoon all setup with the watch etc.

Really pleased with it cant say I miss the home button at all very very nice phone.

Popped an Apple saddle brown leather case on it which really looks the part.

Hope you guys have a great Christmas :)

Cheers all

Soldato
Yeah my experience with it isn't amazing. It's working well for the most part, like 90%+ of the time, but there has been the odd occasion where it hasn't worked or it's taken a while to kick in. Not a big deal, but a little irritating and Touch ID always worked perfectly for me except when my fingers were a bit damp.

Don
I would trade Face ID for having Touch ID back in a heartbeat. It's OK but it's nowhere near as accurate and having to have the phone pointing at my face to unlock is a major pain when it spends a lot of its time sat on a desk.
I really hope Apple go back to Touch ID for the next models but I really doubt it.

To me, Face ID is a solution in search of a problem that didn't exist.

Soldato
Sometimes face ID has been great for me, like when wearing gloves. Other times it's a pain, like when my phone is laying on my desk or somewhere and I have to put my face directly over it.
But you can't really unlock it without a finger swipe up anyway right? So you'll be screwed if wearing gloves?

Man of Honour
My wireless charger review, seeing as I got 4 different ones for Christmas :p

Belkin Boost Pad 15w - Very good, quick and looks smart. Has an LED but doesn't blink and isn't too bright. Seems to have consistent coverage across the pad so isn't fussy where you place it. iPhone doesn't make use of the 15w so it's no different to a 7.5w in terms of speed
Belkin 5w Wireless Pad - Looks smart but has an annoying blinking light, also is very fussy where you place it. Few times I've put the phone down and gone back later and it's not charged.
Mophie Wireless Charging Base - Love it, best of the lot. Small, clean looking. Very dull LED at the bottom of the base so doesn't show in a dark room means it is now the one I use on my bedside table. Charges the fastest too and because it's compact, your phone will cover the whole thing anyway so don't need to worry about how it goes on
Samsung Fast Charger Pad - Looks ugly and cheap, charges well but it's the one I'm taking to the office as it just looks ugly.

Associate
Been using the X for a day now. The one thing I have noticed is that most of the apps I use make very poor use of the "extra" screen space, especially in landscape mode.
WhatsApp, Chrome just to mention a couple.

That maybe due to the "Safe Area" restrictions.

The extra screen space is not as large as you may think.
Results

As full screen, iPhone X has 22% larger real estate in comparison with iPhone 6/7/8. However, as safe area, it is only 12-13% larger.

For landscape orientation, the area of iPhone X’s screen real estate is almost the same as iPhone 6/7/8′s. In addition, for landscape orientation, the height of iPhone X’s safe area is smaller than iPhone 6/7/8′s.

From my experience, the cost of adapting layout of existing apps to iPhone X’s new safe area layout guide is not small for developers. Do you think it is reasonable effort to gain that amount of additional space on iPhone X?

See
http://modelessdesign.com/backdrop/260

Man of Honour
Not sure how people are having issues with FaceID. Mine works flawlessly 99 times out of 100. Much quicker and more accurate than TouchID ever was for me.

Soldato
Not sure how people are having issues with FaceID. Mine works flawlessly 99 times out of 100. Much quicker and more accurate than TouchID ever was for me.
Did someone burn your fingerprints off or something :p

1st gen TouchID was a bit slow but the 2nd gen was blazing fast for me.

Man of Honour
Did someone burn your fingerprints off or something :p

1st gen TouchID was a bit slow but the 2nd gen was blazing fast for me.
I had no issues with speed, just issues if there was any amount of moisture on the sensor or on my finger. Hot summer days were a real pain. I had a 6, 6S and 7 and had issues with all 3. I'm not saying it wasn't good, but for me, FaceID works better. It's like I barely have to think about unlocking my phone.

Soldato
I had no issues with speed, just issues if there was any amount of moisture on the sensor or on my finger. Hot summer days were a real pain. I had a 6, 6S and 7 and had issues with all 3. I'm not saying it wasn't good, but for me, FaceID works better. It's like I barely have to think about unlocking my phone.

That mirrors my experience also. TouchID was great, when it worked. But if I had even a slightly moist hand it wouldn't work and I'd either have to wipe both my finger and the sensor clean or I'd have to type in the pin.

I do not like that FaceID only attempts to unlock once when you just want to glance at your notifications though.

Back
Top Bottom