• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Associate
Anyone thinking Apple is going to ditch FaceID anytime soon is going to be severely dissapointed, FaceID is here for the long term they're very invested in it and it definitely wasnt an after thought. Honestly don't believe Apple is too fussed about in display fingerprint sensor at this point, FaceID feedback for the most part is seemingly positive, they'll just continue to improve it.

And that notch will be here for another generation at least, its apart of the brand now. :p

Whilst I dont own a X, in my limited use of one the Notch honestly didnt bother me.

Soldato
Anyone thinking Apple is going to ditch FaceID anytime soon is going to be severely dissapointed, FaceID is here for the long term they're very invested in it and it definitely wasnt an after thought. Honestly don't believe Apple is too fussed about in display fingerprint sensor at this point, FaceID feedback for the most part is seemingly positive, they'll just continue to improve it.

And that notch will be here for another generation at least, its apart of the brand now. :p

Whilst I dont own a X, in my limited use of one the Notch honestly didnt bother me.
Really? Pretty sure face id only exists due to the fingerprint under screen tech not quite being there when the 10 was being developed.
However sold on it you may feel, touching a screen to unlock it IS more efficient than having to look at it!

Associate
Really? Pretty sure face id only exists due to the fingerprint under screen tech not quite being there when the 10 was being developed.

Quote from Apple's SVP of Hardware Engineering Dan Riccio (source)

I heard some rumor [that] we couldn’t get Touch ID to work through the glass so we had to remove that,” Riccio says, answering a question about whether there were late design changes. “When we hit early line of sight on getting Face ID to be [as] good as it was, we knew that if we could be successful we could enable the product that we wanted to go off and do and if that’s true it could be something that we could burn the bridges and be all in with. This is assuming it was a better solution. And that’s what we did. So we spent no time looking at fingerprints on the back or through the glass or on the side because if we did those things, which would be a last-minute change, they would be a distraction relative to enabling the more important thing that we were trying to achieve, which was Face ID done in a high-quality way.

Soldato
However sold on it you may feel, touching a screen to unlock it IS more efficient than having to look at it!
Apple has spent a silly amount of money securing parts for Face ID recently, I’d expect Touch ID to be removed off all devices released this year.

Touch ID isn’t returning.

Soldato
Apple has spent a silly amount of money securing parts for Face ID recently, I’d expect Touch ID to be removed off all devices released this year.

Touch ID isn’t returning.

I'd imagine once touchID can be placed underneath the screen then they will include both on the flagship model for a two factor authentication to unlock the phone.

Associate
To add to what @redrevis said, here is Grubers writeup on all the FaceID rumours we saw last year.
https://daringfireball.net/2017/10/face_id_fud

Cut a long story short - FaceID was decided on way back in 2016 and the rumours that apple were rushing and trying to get the fingerprint under the display as late as last Summer were false according to his sources within Apple. Which makes sense something like that would have had to be decided on quite early in the development and not something that can just be rushed and tacked on a few months before release.

I mean they probably did look at doing but FaceID definitely wasnt something they just threw in out of desperation

Soldato
Lets be realistic, the development cycle on these products is measured in years not weeks. Apple will have the next 2-3 iPhone's mapped out already and the next one will be pretty much done at this point from a hardware standpoint. Software will be a work in progress but all the new features will be mapped out and be in the process of being written.

This is why we see 'S' models, doing something all new every year is unrealistic.

Face ID would have been in the works for years and the rumours suggest this. The rumours for the X were circling 2 years before it came out.

The supply chain is so big for companies like Apple and Samsung, and widely analysed its impossible to keep anything quiet these days.

Just look at the rumours for the 'plus' version of the X that we allegedly will see in September were leaking out before the X even launched.

Caporegime
They said during the reveal that FaceID had something like a million to one chance of being faked and TouchID was 10,000 to one, IIRC. TouchID will be dead and buried by the end of the decade.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

TouchID is gone for good. FaceID is so much better, it opens up whole new interactions (e.g. revealing your notifications once it sees you, keeping the display alive when it knows you're looking at it), and everything becomes so much more seamless (e.g. logging into websites on Safari now auto-completes username/password, with TouchID you had to manually touch your finger to the sensor). Having two methods (Face and Touch) on a phone is confusing and inconsistent, and very much not the way Apple does things.

As for the notch, you just don't notice it, simple as that. I don't get the big deal people make about it.

Associate
Nah mate, the iPhone X is a load of ********, sure the tech is solid, but Apple selling it as "revolutionary" and making it seem like they came up with this **** is annoying. And its massively over priced for what you get, although granted the iOS ecosystem is nice when you want simplicity.

Back
Top Bottom