• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Associate
I bought the Holife charger along with the RAVPower 30W Turbo Charger Not sure exactly how fast it is, but I haven't noticed much difference from using a cable, so I'm more than happy with that. It also has 2 coils so you can charge your phone vertically or horizontally.

Opted against the Holife for this one instead > https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076XYL1R3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Supposed to be up to 10w on this but will see how it performs

Soldato
Having a fast qi charger does not enable fast charging on the iPhone 8/X because Apple have hardcoded some hardware id's in to the firmware, so only the belkin and whatever the other one is work. Great isn't it, finally they pick an open standard but then fudge it into a mess at the last hurdle.

Soldato
Having a fast qi charger does not enable fast charging on the iPhone 8/X because Apple have hardcoded some hardware id's in to the firmware, so only the belkin and whatever the other one is work. Great isn't it, finally they pick an open standard but then fudge it into a mess at the last hurdle.

That's apple for you!

I have the Holife one (my phone is on it as I type this) and with it connected to an iPad charger it charges fast enough. My cable broke yesterday so had to wait til I was in work to charge my phone and I think I was getting about 20-23% every hour

Soldato
Anyone had green line of death?

What’s your experience of getting a replacement phone? Apple online are pathetic as usual claiming I have to send the phone off for repair. I don’t want to go to the store as it’s a 2 hour round trip and they’ll only waste my time and say they need to keep it to repair etc, which translates to spending most of a day sitting around while they do it or having to once again lose the phone for a week or so.

Also even if there do replace it, they’ll blatantly fob me off as usual with a refurb one that they refuse to admit is such.

Thinking about it, on a repaired phone, how do they guarantee that the water resistance hasn’t been reduced by taking the phone apart?

Annoyed.

Associate
Honestly...Just go to the store and get it replaced, you're making it sound like more hassle than it actually is.:rolleyes:

Anytime I've had issues with my device, the device is replaced there and then. Never been told I had to wait and get it repaired.

Soldato
Anyone had green line of death?

What’s your experience of getting a replacement phone? Apple online are pathetic as usual claiming I have to send the phone off for repair. I don’t want to go to the store as it’s a 2 hour round trip and they’ll only waste my time

No wonder they suggested a mail in repair; as you've clearly stated you also don't want to go to a store.

YOU have to decide what to do, they can only suggest it. Mail in, or store. That's it.

As @Mr_Cool said there's little issue here. It's repair or replace for known defects; and that's all covered under warranty. Repair defects such as a dodgy water seal would be covered under consumer law; which is 6 years in England and Wales, and 5 years in Scotland. Never mind you can go straight back and get it looked at by the store for a dodgy repair. Lots of consumer protections

You can also book an appointment ahead of time, and call the store before doing to see what they'll do in regards to your issue.

Soldato
No wonder they suggested a mail in repair; as you've clearly stated you also don't want to go to a store.

YOU have to decide what to do, they can only suggest it. Mail in, or store. That's it.

As @Mr_Cool said there's little issue here. It's repair or replace for known defects; and that's all covered under warranty. Repair defects such as a dodgy water seal would be covered under consumer law; which is 6 years in England and Wales, and 5 years in Scotland. Never mind you can go straight back and get it looked at by the store for a dodgy repair. Lots of consumer protections

You can also book an appointment ahead of time, and call the store before doing to see what they'll do in regards to your issue.

Why? It’s a manufacturing fault within 6 months of ownership. I purchased from the website, they should collect and ship me a replacement. At what distance would they stop suggesting that I travel to a store? If the closest was 200miles away would I still have to go? 400? 600? I haven’t dealt with a store (because I a) don’t have time to keep going there b) it’s far away and annoying to have to go to for that purpose alone), so unless they’re implying that I’m lying, they should be bending over backwards to resolve the problem without me having to spend £10 and half a day to go out of my way to fix it.

Not to mention that even when you manage to get a Genius Bar appointment, they never see you on time (despite turning you away if you are 1 min late) and always try to wriggle out of a full replacement nowadays.

Mac rumours and several other news sites suggest that online phone orders were getting replaced during the first few weeks of launch, why is this still not the case? I’ll tell you why, because bad press at launch is far more damaging than now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why? It’s a manufacturing fault within 6 months of ownership. I purchased from the website, they should collect and ship me a replacement. At what distance would they stop suggesting that I travel to a store? If the closest was 200miles away would I still have to go? 400? 600? I haven’t dealt with a store (because I a) don’t have time to keep going there b) it’s far away and annoying to have to go to for that purpose alone), so unless they’re implying that I’m lying, they should be bending over backwards to resolve the problem without me having to spend £10 and half a day to go out of my way to fix it.

Not to mention that even when you manage to get a Genius Bar appointment, they never see you on time (despite turning you away if you are 1 min late) and always try to wriggle out of a full replacement nowadays.

Mac rumours and several other news sites suggest that online phone orders were getting replaced during the first few weeks of launch, why is this still not the case? I’ll tell you why, because bad press at launch is far more damaging than now.
Quite the conspiracy theorist we have here.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.

You can state your preference, but the retailer can normally choose whichever would be cheapest or easier for it to do.

Basically Apple are fully within their rights to ask you to send it back to them for a repair or inspection if you don't want to go to an Apple store for an immediate turnaround.

Soldato
Quite the conspiracy theorist we have here.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Basically Apple are fully within their rights to ask you to send it back to them for a repair or inspection if you don't want to go to an Apple store for an immediate turnaround.

So they’ll do the bare minimum they have to do under EU law. What amazing customer service from a premium brand.

Amazon would have replaced it already no questions asked.

John Lewis tried this on last month with a faulty Surface Pro, they ending up paying me £20 to take it to them to inspect.

Caporegime
I do find that quite ridiculous that they won't send pre-paid packaging for Pioneer to put the mobile in and send it off. It shouldn't have to be done at his expense. If that really is the case, then it seems they've locked that behind the AppleCare+ chargeable extra.

Soldato
I do find that quite ridiculous that they won't send pre-paid packaging for Pioneer to put the mobile in and send it off. It shouldn't have to be done at his expense. If that really is the case, then it seems they've locked that behind the AppleCare+ chargeable extra.

Sorry, but the Mail in Option IS a Pre-paid box he plops it in and sends it off with. It always has been. At most they place a hold on his card to ensure the item is actually sent in.

His original anger is that that they even suggested it to him, and he called them useless for suggesting it when he stated he didn't want to go to a store.

Apple online are pathetic as usual claiming I have to send the phone off for repair. I don’t want to go to the store as it’s a 2 hour round trip and they’ll only waste my time and say they need to keep it to repair etc, which translates to spending most of a day sitting around while they do it or having to once again lose the phone for a week or so.

Soldato
They have indeed locked advanced replacement behind AppleCare+. I’ve had advanced replacements before but now unless you pay extra you can’t get one.

What does everyone do for the week or two they don’t have a phone? Or is everyone buying two phones nowadays for every time they break? (Which for me has been 10+ iPhones since the original came out).

Soldato
What the hell are you doing to your phones to have gone through 10 of them? I've had one of every series since the 3G and I always get them at or within a week of release and I can say during my time with iPhones I've only had one develop a fault (the iPhone 5 just wouldn't connect to wifi) but other than that they've been faultless unless I've broken the screen myself.

And even when I did have that one faulty device I booked an appointment with the 'Genius bar' walked in, he confirmed it wasn't working and walked out with a replacement handset. That was just under warranty, no special AppleCare+.

For me Apple have always been top notch with their customer service.

Soldato
They have indeed locked advanced replacement behind AppleCare+. I’ve had advanced replacements before but now unless you pay extra you can’t get one.

What does everyone do for the week or two they don’t have a phone? Or is everyone buying two phones nowadays for every time they break? (Which for me has been 10+ iPhones since the original came out).
Come to Google. They have a 2 year warranty and will do an advanced swap RMA if you buy it from the Google store :p

TBH though Apple are better than most manufacturers as you can walk into an Apple store and get it sorted there and then (never had a device taken away for a repair, always fixed immediately or swapped out for a new/refurb device). With pretty much everyone else you're stuck with sending it in before you get it back. Just order yourself a new iPhone X, use it while your phone is away, and return it in the 14 day returns period if you're that bothered.

Soldato
What the hell are you doing to your phones to have gone through 10 of them? I've had one of every series since the 3G and I always get them at or within a week of release and I can say during my time with iPhones I've only had one develop a fault (the iPhone 5 just wouldn't connect to wifi) but other than that they've been faultless unless I've broken the screen myself.

And even when I did have that one faulty device I booked an appointment with the 'Genius bar' walked in, he confirmed it wasn't working and walked out with a replacement handset. That was just under warranty, no special AppleCare+.

For me Apple have always been top notch with their customer service.

I can’t remember which versions they were (all bought at launch) but:

Faulty mute switch (after 30mins in store managed to force a replacement as “goodwill”)

Dust in screen x3 (developed over time which was a design fault of the iPhone 6/6S) I think they replaced two and then the last time they said it had to be a screen repair so had to wait a couple of hours while they did it.

Faulty speaker, “pretend new” (i.e. refurbished) phone swapped out in store.

Marks in bezel (new from box). New phone through Apple online shipped as an advanced replacement.

Battery health failed x2 (new phone for first one, battery replaced on another)

That’s 9 over the past 10 years off the top of my head. Got all the Genius Bar forms at home still.

Soldato
Really not sure what the issue is. You will not miss anything not having a phone for a few days or just chuck the sim onto another phone for a few days. Pretty much standard procedure for pretty much everything ever. They also send you a box via UPS so you are not out of pocket unlike most companies.

Soldato
Don't have a landline phone so my mobile is essential day to day.

I don't have spare phones lying about either... Well i might have a 6230 or something like that in a drawer somewhere but that's barely classed as a phone nowadays.

Not standard for Amazon or Logitech, they'd have sent a new one already.

Back
Top Bottom