• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
Generally speaking for flat rate type insurance products (like phone insurance) are generally not worth it if you are not a serial claimer/phone breaker.

Almost everyone ends up paying more for the insurance than it pays out over time and its only worth it for a very small % of people.

Soldato
Hey guys,

having an issue on my new X. Sometimes (only happened twice so far ) the screen is black and wont respond to anything other than a hard reset (vol up, vol down, and then hold power).

I can hear the phone working, eg. screen shot makes the snap noise etc, but no screen on? :confused::confused:

Anyone else had this? Should I take it to an Apple store for fixing? I have only purchased this about 3 weeks ago, so warranty still intact etc..

Soldato
You may have insurance but what a fag having to go through the rigmarole of sorting it out, plus being without the phone for X number of days. I worked out I've saved nearly £3,000 over the years by not having to buy either insurance or pay the Apple Tax, simply by spending a very modest sum of money on cases.

I think the smart money is to encase that baby in a bit of protective love. Pay cash for the phone, SIM only and get a case. I'm happy my bank managers happy.

I broke the back of my phone at about 11pm. I had a new phone at 3pm the next day by just popping into the Apple shop in town right by my office.

If people are happy to use cases with their phones then more power to them. I have never, ever liked any mobile phone case going all the way back to my Nokia 5110.

I don’t use insurance but I may start. Who’s yours with?

if you have an account with Natwest they do phone insurance which I also have. The turn around is quite quick, the pick up the damaged handset and drop off the replacement at the same time. Think it's about 24-36 hours, last used it on my iPhone 6

Man of Honour
You may have insurance but what a fag having to go through the rigmarole of sorting it out, plus being without the phone for X number of days

Really? Walk into Apple store with broken phone and walk out in what, 20 minutes? Not really a faff at all.

The £70 or whatever they are Apple cases last around 6 months or so before they become tatty and look bad. So not really cheap to replace. No other brand I’ve trie fits as well as the Apple ones either.

Associate
Really? Walk into Apple store with broken phone and walk out in what, 20 minutes? Not really a faff at all.

The £70 or whatever they are Apple cases last around 6 months or so before they become tatty and look bad. So not really cheap to replace. No other brand I’ve trie fits as well as the Apple ones either.

Silicon cases go for £15 and leather go for £30 or so from what I’ve seen.

Soldato

Hmm! like we all live or work right next to an Apple store? In my case that would be an 80 mile round trip. As for cases, well I mostly use Spigen and they easily last the life of the phone, providing of course you are the type of person who takes good care of all their products - I am.

When my phones are removed from their case for recycling or giving to relatives they are almost indistinguishable from new. Perhaps that's just me though?

Soldato

I don't even think I was in there for 20 minutes. Booked my appointment in for 14:45 the next day and had my phone before 3pm.

A few of my friends have the leather cases for the X. We've had our phones since November launch and one of their cases has completely flaked apart. Not impressed with that. I'd probably use one of those old iPod socks they used to make if I wanted a case but as you said, Chris, the insurance & AppleCare+ is my phone case.

Soldato
And what will you do if the screen smashes? Or the back of it?

I'll pay for it out of my own pocket of course. Given how much I've saved over the years I'll still be quids in. However, given the number of times I've dropped this phone and it's never so much as suffered a scratch I'm not too worried. Thing is a case makes the back heavier than the front so the laws of gravity tend to kick in i.e. it always seems to fall rear side down.

On the accident side of things I'm covered by my house insurance, (which isn't that much more expensive than the cost of Apple's warranty) and that is for umpteen thousands. :) You've got to start getting savvy Chris.

Last edited:
Soldato

My apple leather case I bought for my ip7+ is coming up nearly 2 years and still looks great!

Soldato
My apple leather case I bought for my ip7+ is coming up nearly 2 years and still looks great!

I've said this many times, it's all about how you look after your things. I've seen people go up to the counter in more than one Apple store to get their phones fixed and quite frankly I'd be embarrassed to show them to anyone. Some of them are really grotty and look as though they've been dragged down the street then thrown in a sewer.

It's a fact of life that some people just don't know how to look after things (or maybe just don't care). You see the same thing with cars. They can be nearly new yet look years old. I would need an injection before I would sit in some of them.

Caporegime
Hey guys,

having an issue on my new X. Sometimes (only happened twice so far ) the screen is black and wont respond to anything other than a hard reset (vol up, vol down, and then hold power).

I can hear the phone working, eg. screen shot makes the snap noise etc, but no screen on? :confused::confused:

Anyone else had this? Should I take it to an Apple store for fixing? I have only purchased this about 3 weeks ago, so warranty still intact etc..
Well it’s a no brainer, the phone definitely has a fault so I’d take it back unless it’s working now.

Associate
I've said this many times, it's all about how you look after your things. I've seen people go up to the counter in more than one Apple store to get their phones fixed and quite frankly I'd be embarrassed to show them to anyone. Some of them are really grotty and look as though they've been dragged down the street then thrown in a sewer.

It's a fact of life that some people just don't know how to look after things (or maybe just don't care). You see the same thing with cars. They can be nearly new yet look years old. I would need an injection before I would sit in some of them.
NewApple (TM) see the products they produce as disposable so it is only natural that their NewCustomers see things in the same light.

Soldato
As befitting this time of year, here's the first shells of the new cheaper upcoming LCD iPhone and the Plus sized X.

Perhaps we'll see a line-up of:
6.1" LCD - 'iPhone 9'? Cheapest option, sliding in where the 8 was.
X - same phone as last year, just better insides, and the only choice if you want the smaller form factor model. Price reduction so it fills in where the 8 Plus was.
6.5" X Plus - same price as the X was (i.e. lots).

Back
Top Bottom