• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Caporegime
No. The point was security, the speed was a bonus.

The facial recognition should be as secure as a fingerprint, so it's down to a question of convenience. Having a sneaky peek of your phone in a meeting? Probably going to suffer with FaceID

6 digit passcode = a million combination
Touch ID = 1 in 50,000
Face ID = 1 in 1,000,000

Face ID is no more secured as old fashion Passcode, arguably not that much faster as I am sure we can all type the code by now in our sleep. You can also still type it out of the camera's vide but off the corner of your eye.

Interesting tech, I am sure it has it's actual application but for unlocking the phone, I argue it's not only is unnecessary but unnecessarily complicated. Perhaps I am bitter about them removing Touch ID, had they included in that as well, somehow under the glass then I would be all onboard with this phone. Face ID is not really a tech i want to pay for.

The rest of the phone however I am all onboard. I like the form factor, the screen, and the Apple Eco system.

Soldato
So having had 24 hours to mull it over.
The biggest issue I have with the X is, surprise surprise. The lack of home button/Face ID.

I refrained from commenting here until I had some time to reflect.

I too feel the same way, they should have just chucked it on the back like every other android phone. It works just fine there.

It also doesn't really offer anything over the 8 that makes a great phone great. As much as apples marketing buzz words were going to maximum effect. For me the obsession with edge to edge really doesn't do all that much. In fact it makes 'mis-touches' even more likely.

The price is what ever, it is essentially a new tier above the 8/8+, the price of the 8/8+ is a much bigger gripe for me. The 7 is basically the same price it was last year, it may have even gone up? That is the real **** take out of the whole thing. Only Apple can get away with charging flagship prices for a year old phone. The 6S is hardly any cheaper than when I bought mine at launch 2 years ago! Yes I understand brexit has had an effect but that doesn't account for the fact it should have slid down two price points by now.

The facial recognition should be as secure as a fingerprint, so it's down to a question of convenience. Having a sneaky peek of your phone in a meeting? Probably going to suffer with FaceID

While I agree it is more secure, TouchID is secure enough for consumers. People have to go to pretty extreme lengths to clone your finger, they then need physical access to the device. For non consumers you would expect that there would be another layer on top where really tough security is needed.

It took the FBI millions and months to crack the 5C without a finger, they even admitted the exploit wouldn't work on a newer device.

I think were at a point where the security argument is making the phone less usable. Those 'sneak peaks' are just not for meetings and FaceID makes it so much harder.

Associate
Enjoyed catching up with this thread. Some serious butt hurt out there........why take time to rain on others parades? Guess it shows their true nature.
Anyway, I digress.
I will be getting one. Currently have a 6 and since the rumours started about an anniversary edition I have held off getting a new phone. I would normally have gotten the 7 but held out till this was announced. I think the X looks great as it should really.
Am I bothered about it costing £1150. Yes. Will I have to get a wireless charger that costs extra. Possibly. Apple care costing £200. Most probably. That's the thick end of £1500 which is a lot of money but you know what, who cares. It's worth it to me and that's the only person that matters. I buy it once and it should last 2-3 years which I am fine with. The only issue I have is....

The point behind the fingerprint scan (and later revisions which were even quicker) was to unlock your phone as quickly as possible.

If you are not bothered by the above then no problem.

But for me, this was a pet peeve and when I hold the phone with one hand and press down on the home button, its so lovely to get into the phone so quickly.

What are everyones thoughts on this?
Not sure how quickly I'll get used to the face unlocking. It won't be as easy as fingerprint scan as I have to swipe up but as I'll be using a thumb on the screen anyway then at least it'll be in the correct place.

Soldato
I’ve been drooling over this for months with the leaks. I think it looks awesome and the OLED screen has me really wanting it. I’m not sure how face unlock will be day to day but I’d like to find out. The only things putting me off is firstly the price, then the fact I either need to downgrade capacity wise of fork out loads more for space I don’t need.

Why they didn’t do 128 and 256 I’ll never know.

Also wireless charging that needs to be on a special mat is rubbish, either go fully WiFi charging or don’t bother.

Caporegime
So having had 24 hours to mull it over.
The biggest issue I have with the X is, surprise surprise. The lack of home button/Face ID.

Now what I would love to see, is a comparison video of how quickly you can unlock and get into your home screen (using one hand!) for iPhone X vs the previous finger print iPhone variants.

The point behind the fingerprint scan (and later revisions which were even quicker) was to unlock your phone as quickly as possible.

If you are not bothered by the above then no problem.

But for me, this was a pet peeve and when I hold the phone with one hand and press down on the home button, its so lovely to get into the phone so quickly.

What are everyones thoughts on this?

FaceID is a concern to me, it feels like a bodge as they couldn’t get touchID to work through the buttonless display. I’m not convinced we’ll see touchID return.

The A11 is a beast of a chip though, faster than an iPad Pro Gen 2!

Caporegime
Why on earth do you do that? Just use a desktop app for instagram, I use instapic, export from light room, direct upload to instagram, copy pasta the hash tags from my hash tag file, takes literally 2 button clicks, and a paste command, super easy off a desktop, sending a pic from the desktop, to the phone, only to then have to manually upload it..... Pfff I thought Apple was meant to be easier ;)

Guess you are not on OSX?

Man of Honour
OP
Like others I've had the day to think about it. I want to see Face ID working and I want to know if it will unlock the phone in the same situations I use Touch ID. When it's flat on a desk for example, is the front camera a wide enough angle for it to work?

In terms of the cost I have no real issue with it, £1000 cash for it sounds a lot, but the monthly plans will make it easier to swallow. What's another £10-20 a month to have the best phone out, for example - the thing you really want. Obviously if money is tight, it's not the wisest move so I can understand the horror of some people, but they should have the same issue with a £700 phone too.

It's worth remembering we're on a forum where people will drop £1000 on a graphics card without batting an eyelid, this wouldn't get the same use as most of our phones.

We can all argue whether Android has caught up to iOS - or vice versa - but iOS offers something different to Android in terms of a complete package and there are benefits such as generally superior app design in my experience.

There is no doubt the iPhone X is not the best value phone - the fact it costs probably double a Galaxy S8 on contract is a very fair one. However, the same applies to many things. A £50k BMW isn't going to ultimately do things a lot better in terms of getting you from A to B than a £15k Vauxhall, but there are many other factors people value when it comes to these things.

I think it really does look good in the real life pictures, with proper use being made of the OLED display at the top, it will look pretty special. Time to watch all the hands-on videos...

kCuAYmf.jpg

Soldato
I refrained from commenting here until I had some time to reflect.

I too feel the same way, they should have just chucked it on the back like every other android phone. It works just fine there.

It also doesn't really offer anything over the 8 that makes a great phone great. As much as apples marketing buzz words were going to maximum effect. For me the obsession with edge to edge really doesn't do all that much. In fact it makes 'mis-touches' even more likely.

The price is what ever, it is essentially a new tier above the 8/8+, the price of the 8/8+ is a much bigger gripe for me. The 7 is basically the same price it was last year, it may have even gone up? That is the real **** take out of the whole thing. Only Apple can get away with charging flagship prices for a year old phone. The 6S is hardly any cheaper than when I bought mine at launch 2 years ago! Yes I understand brexit has had an effect but that doesn't account for the fact it should have slid down two price points by now.

While I agree it is more secure, TouchID is secure enough for consumers. People have to go to pretty extreme lengths to clone your finger, they then need physical access to the device. For non consumers you would expect that there would be another layer on top where really tough security is needed.

It took the FBI millions and months to crack the 5C without a finger, they even admitted the exploit wouldn't work on a newer device.

I think were at a point where the security argument is making the phone less usable. Those 'sneak peaks' are just not for meetings and FaceID makes it so much harder.

I agree with this fully.

Maybe I should have rephrased.

The second point behind the fingerprint scanner - was the ease of access to your phone :)

Associate
I think the X looks great despite the ugly notch.

I don't understand why they didn't keep a fingerprint sensor though, if you can live with notch and you can live with the lens bump on the back is a fingerprint sensor on the back really something they can't tolerate?

Soldato
One more thing that worries me - the time it will take app developers to support the new res. Remember the transition from 4 to 5 and 5 to 6? It took some developers months to update their apps and others took years (RSA token app for example)

Caporegime
Possible then - well worth it, at least for me, much easier.

must be recent because I looked a year or so ago and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for giving me a kick in the backside to look again, this is now much easier! and now paid for !!

Anyway, back on topic….and this app means making the transition to Android even easier pill to swallow!
7wUSpuy.png

Soldato
I’ve been drooling over this for months with the leaks. I think it looks awesome and the OLED screen has me really wanting it. I’m not sure how face unlock will be day to day but I’d like to find out. The only things putting me off is firstly the price, then the fact I either need to downgrade capacity wise of fork out loads more for space I don’t need.

Why they didn’t do 128 and 256 I’ll never know.

Also wireless charging that needs to be on a special mat is rubbish, either go fully WiFi charging or don’t bother.

What do you mean?
For wireless have they their own standard?
Do normal Qi II pads not work?

Soldato
must be recent because I looked a year or so ago and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for giving me a kick in the backside to look again, this is now much easier! and now paid for !!

Anyway, back on topic….and this app means making the transition to Android even easier pill to swallow!
7wUSpuy.png

No problems!! Your instagram looks great as well, I’ll give it a follow !! It’s hard keeping on top of social media, I have a thread in software running about it !

Back
Top Bottom