• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
Again something Apple should have included in the box.
Why should they? The amount of money Apple make from accessories is astronomical and people are clearly very happy to spend £35 on a usb cable because that's how much Apple tell them it's worth.

Associate
It's amazing how many people will lap this thing up at these stupid prices, yet can barely afford to eat decent food and dresses like a tramp. And don't forget the obligatory cracked screen that will feature several weeks later to complete the package.

Soldato
You mean like having an issue with the aerial and being told you aren't holding it right. Nah! something like that would never happen would it. Silly me! :rolleyes:

Nah, it wasn't at all a perfect storm of outdated test methodology, the use of "stealth cases" to hide the new ID and the baseband SW team getting the maths on measuring RSSI wrong.

And the then manager of the antenna design team totally didn't get scapegoated and thrown under the bus for the whole sorry mess.

Associate
Why should they? The amount of money Apple make from accessories is astronomical and people are clearly very happy to spend £35 on a usb cable because that's how much Apple tell them it's worth.

You're right. As the average person is just a well behaved sheep these days, it's only right that they should be "done over".

Soldato
£1000 :eek:

And there was me thinking the price of the latest Samsung 8+ and note 8 where crazy....

It hard enough paying out around £550 for a new mobile phone but now need to fork out £700 to £1000 for the latest mobiles :mad:

Soldato
And don't forget the obligatory cracked screen that will feature several weeks later to complete the package.

Genuinely, you got me...

screen has been cracked for months waiting for this upgrade so i can get a new screen and give my phone to my daughter.

although we eat well, super noodles tonight while i save for my iphone X

Associate
My trusty 3 year old 5S broke earlier in the year so I bought a used but pristine 6S+ as a stopgap until September, as well as a test on how I would handle a larger phone. I really like the larger sized phone so doubt I'd go back.

This is relevant because the iPhone X, what I was waiting for, is more than twice the price of my 6S+, that's an expensive pill to swallow. That's the first hurdle.

The 2nd hurdle to get over is FaceID. I wouldn't want to have to hold the device right up in front of me to unlock it, that would be intrusive and make you look like a right mammary. I can see the 'iPhone X Salute' being a thing if that is indeed the case. Also the fact that FaceID failed during the keynote and the bloke appeared to wipe his face to get it to work tells me it's not quite right. I'd need to someone actually test the angles of unlock and in full sunlight before I'll be convinced otherwise.

Thirdly, that camera/speaker/gizmo notch at the top of the screen is horrid. It just breaks the flow of the screen and will obscure content I'm sure. It would have looked so much better if they had just made the screen shorter but uniform. I think the notch is more about device brand identity, separating it from others, than anything else.

All my opinion of course. I think I'll be looking at the 8+ or sticking with my perfectly functioning 6S+. It depends on how much upgraditis burns a hole in my wallet but life and common sense is the cure for that.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
There are so many hurdles with FaceID that I can think of in my life - just how awkward will it be to unlock it in my car when I need to switch on sat nav, or unlocking it with safety goggles and/or face mask on, unlocking it in winter with hat, scarf or collar up, then you have people that wear safety gear, shields, helmets, microphones, all unable to use work phone anymore without partially undressing. Why. WTF were they thinking. Move touch sensor to the back!

Caporegime
There are so many hurdles with FaceID that I can think of in my life - just how awkward will it be to unlock it in my car when I need to switch on sat nav, or unlocking it with safety goggles and/or face mask on, unlocking it in winter with hat, scarf or collar up, then you have people that wear safety gear, shields, helmets, microphones, all unable to use work phone anymore without partially undressing. Why. WTF were they thinking. Move touch sensor to the back!

I am happy to wait until the beta tester have tried it out first, you bet your bottom dollar the next model will track even better.

Soldato
It's amazing how many people will lap this thing up at these stupid prices, yet can barely afford to eat decent food and dresses like a tramp. And don't forget the obligatory cracked screen that will feature several weeks later to complete the package.

The news is now regularly featuring how personal debt is out of control in the UK. Reading some of these posts it's not hard to see why. A couple more percentage points rise in inflation and a whole lot of people are forecast to be in real trouble. We'll see then how many people think getting in hock to the tune of £1000 - £1500 for a phone was such a good idea after all.

In a saturated market place this price bubble for phones must surely burst before too long.

Soldato

Of course...just in time for those uni students who get their grants around that time, blow it all on a iPhone X instead of books for their education.

With the high price they should have called it the iPhone 1K

Soldato
After reading up on the 8 and x. I simply can't justify the the cost of the x. It looks great and the screen is nice but that's about it. The 8 is the better buy tbh and I feel the 7 will be a better second hand buy.

£1k on a phone is simply far too much. Yes we use these devices everyday but its a ridiculous amount of money.

Caporegime
Didn't know about the Canada thing...considering the phone includes all necessary LTE bands in the States if you are travelling to the USA and want one it's the best place to buy one.

It would be interesting to see if it's the same in other countries too. And yeah, if I get an apple product in the future I'll probably head over the border. There's now a ~£300 difference in MB Pro 15s now whereas last year they were basically the same price.

Interestingly when you look at US prices the X doesn't seem as bad as it does elsewhere. The base model is only $70 more than the Note 8. Compare that to the £150ish more in the UK!

Soldato
Half the posts in this thread are just complaints about the Price or about people who are willing to spend 1000 on a phone but like someone else said arnt we on an enthusiast forum here where people spend silly amounts on graphic cards... Monitors... Water cooling... That probably isn't even needed.. The x is clearly a luxury high end item and people pay more for sillier things on here.. 2/3/4 graphic cards ect.

Associate
Fingers crossed face ID flops, Touch ID just works so well.
I can see them doing another two models next generations then phasing out the Touch ID models for the generation after.
Price of phones is just getting out of hand, it's never stopped me getting the model I wanted for now but after being on a £10 sim only deal for 6 months since the contract ran out on this 6+ I'm reluctant to spend a silly amount on a new contract.
Might look for a 7+ second hand or brand new and buy it with a credit card to keep this sim only deal.

Associate
So any ideas when we will see this on demo in stores?

Any articles about the OLED matrix, ie pentile vs full RGB?

Soldato
Half the posts in this thread are just complaints about the Price or about people who are willing to spend 1000 on a phone but like someone else said arnt we on an enthusiast forum here where people spend silly amounts on graphic cards... Monitors... Water cooling... That probably isn't even needed.. The x is clearly a luxury high end item and people pay more for sillier things on here.. 2/3/4 graphic cards ect.
Indeed ! At least with a phone, it's used all day, everyday. Can't say the same for a £1000 monitor or graphics card really.

You got to look at it with he perspective of "yes it's £1000. But I'm going to use this thing all day everyday. And I want to enjoy using the highest spec/most luxurious iPhone"

Caporegime
Do you actually use it all day everyday though?

My main use is when I wake up and when I go to bed, I don't use my phone a great deal at work due to company policy or being busy when working from home and on the weekends I don't spend much time on it either, you're making it sound like your glued to it all hours.

Back
Top Bottom