• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Don
Another reports saying that supply of the X is going to be extremely limited: http://www.fudzilla.com/news/44589-apple-shares-tank-as-world-realises-iphone-x-will-be-late

Yes, I know it's FudZilla and yes I know they are anti-Apple to the extreme but their source (Digitimes) is pretty reliable.

I will see how bad it is around launch time and if it's looking like I won't be able to get one in 2017 I'll just keep my 7+ and wait for the next iteration in October 2018.

Soldato
To be fair, they're always hard to come by on launch. The iPhone 8 is the first model with easy(ish) availability. The 6+ was very scarce on launch, I remember having to wait weeks for a replacement from Apple when mine succumbed to bendgate. At the end of the day, if you get an order in through Apple in the first 10 minutes or so you're probably going to get one on launch - same as every other model since the 5S.

Soldato
Ah crap, after a week on Android (7.0) I decided to see what it feels like to go back to my iPhone 6, with the exception of lag….I just know my way round a lot more and need less key presses to do stuff.

Goddammit….10 years of iOS is hard to shake.

Really? That surprises me, I find android light years ahead in some ways, instant access to turn stuff on off etc, like turning auto brightness off in iPhone, what the hell, it's not even in screen settings was buried somewhere deep in user control or something nothing to do with screen settings, I can just drag the top bar down on android and the options there.

Man of Honour
As expected, FaceID is leaps ahead of any other current face recognition on a mobile phone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41412560

Even Apple will not be able to explain how its forthcoming iPhone X can spot some efforts to fool its facial recognition system.

The firm has released a guide to the Face ID system, which explains that it relies on two types of neural networks - one of which has been specifically trained to resist spoofing attempts.

But a consequence of the design is that it behaves like a "black box".

Its behaviour can be observed but the underlying processes remain opaque.

So, while Apple says Face ID should be able to distinguish between a real person's face and someone else wearing a mask that matches the geometry of their features, it will sometimes be impossible to determine what clues were picked up on.

More in the article.

Associate
Really? That surprises me, I find android light years ahead in some ways, instant access to turn stuff on off etc, like turning auto brightness off in iPhone, what the hell, it's not even in screen settings was buried somewhere deep in user control or something nothing to do with screen settings, I can just drag the top bar down on android and the options there.
The only thing I miss from android is separate volume for alarms:) it annoys me on ios that suddenly my alarm is so loud, just because I played YT video, the day before.

But I love whole airplay integration within the system, homekit etc. I remember that if I wanted to stream audio to my AV receiver from android it had to be app that actually has this functionality (to stream via wifi), not the one that I like, but the one that specifically has this option.

Caporegime

It's more about familiarity than anything else.

Soldato
It's more about familiarity than anything else.

I find this, you can do most stuff on apple, but with each OS change, they move bits around, a few questions on here and you quickly get back up to speed.
Perhaps android is slightly more intuitive, and easier to find the actual setting you want, but somewhere in iOS, it is there.

Soldato
So what if you was a really fat person and then decided to lose a load of weight, that would effect the shape of your face (and body of course).

Would FaceID not think it's you any more?

I believe I read that it re configures the facial points on a continual basis over time, so it evolves and adapts as your face changes shape. So no, it wouldn't as long as you lose or gain weight at a normal rate and use your phone during that process. Their suggestions that it may not work well for pre-teens due to the way their face is changing seems to contradict this though...so I dunno

Associate
As above...Your face is not gonna change suddenly between one face id read and another. While face id adjusts/learns itself with every read. So even though you might get fatter in months, for face id this shouldn't be an issue as it was changing your base setup as well all this time. That's my understanding though.

Soldato
I believe I read that it re configures the facial points on a continual basis over time, so it evolves and adapts as your face changes shape. So no, it wouldn't as long as you lose or gain weight at a normal rate and use your phone during that process. Their suggestions that it may not work well for pre-teens due to the way their face is changing seems to contradict this though...so I dunno

Pre-teens are still growing and their actual features change at a quicker pace than an adult who is fully grown and just aging at normal speed, I'd assume. Perhaps it might get flummoxed by some extreme rapid weight loss, but the structure your face sits on isn't going to change when dieting, just how chubby your cheeks/neck are.

Associate
Pre-teens are still growing and their actual features change at a quicker pace than an adult who is fully grown and just aging at normal speed, I'd assume. Perhaps it might get flummoxed by some extreme rapid weight loss, but the structure your face sits on isn't going to change when dieting, just how chubby your cheeks/neck are.

I think you're over complicating this, it's like worrying about your fingerprints no longer working if your hand gets chopped off. Sure it's a possibility but in the unlikely event you'll just enter your pass code and start over again.

A one off event that take a couple of minutes, no big deal either way.

Back
Top Bottom