Poor Wireless N Speeds (Anyone else own the Edimax 802.11n WAP??)

Associate
Evening/morning all,

I recently purchased the Edimax AP courtesy of Overclockers, but I'm having real problems with throughput.

The most I'll ever get is 4-5MB/s even though I'm showing connected at 300Mbps (the Wifi adapter in use is the built in one on my 2008 MacBook Pro). Disconcerted, I've tried with a Buffalo PCI Wireless N card, complete with a hefty tri-aerial stand - and still, I get around 4-5Mbps.

I have of course tried the same transfer via wired, and get the desired 50-60MB/s (over copper gigabit - 11-12MB/s over 10/100 as expected).

I've considered that perhaps it's something to do with flow control, what with the AP only having a 10/100 LAN interface, and a 300Mbps WiFi interface. Does anyone in the know know if that could be the cause?

I've thought about trying a transfer from one Wireless N device to another, which should achieve the true 300Mbps speed. I shall do so tomorrow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's a screenie of the 'Advanced Settings' page, I've played about with most things on there, emphasis on the word 'playing'. :)

wifiadv.PNG

Associate
OP
You'll never get the full speed on wireless unless your laptop is sat right next to it.

I appreciate that - but I am sat practically right next to it, I'm in a room that's maybe 7mx6m, and at any one time I'm probably no more than four metres away. The AP should have no difficulty in providing full throughput at that distance.

Back
Top Bottom