Porridge, how do you take yours?

Soldato
Since going health-crazy, my morning porridge has become my favourite meal of the day. I used to get the Quaker oats golden syrup sachets for convenience, but lately I'm experimenting with my own flavours.

Currently, I make my porridge with high quality, whole rolled porridge oats, raw milk, a table spoon of coconut oil, a tablespoon of crushed hazlenut, cooked in a bain marie with a teaspoon of honey to serve.

And it's awesome.

So does anybody else out there have an unusual porridge recipe?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
3 tablespoons of porridge oats with milk and sugar. Two minutes in the microwave. Job done.

Sometimes I do it with a knob of butter and a tablespoon of golden syrup; blueberries; dob of jam; switch to flapjacks; whatever takes my fancy really.

I read an interesting recipe in Runner's World. I've been racking up my running distances because I'm training for a marathon. I've recently been adding natural anti-inflamatories to my porridge after my longer training runs to see if it helps me recover more quickly. I usually have stiff legs the next day, but day two (e.g. today after 16 miles on Saturday) is often a lot better. It's basically porridge oats, cocoa powder, cinnamon and blueberries (plus a banana chopped in for good measure).

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
One cup Scotts Old Fashioned Porage Oats, two cups water and a little salt. Cook until softish and eat as it is. No milk, no sugar, no honey, no fruit or nuts - nothing. Just porridge :p

Soldato
Dark soft brown sugar is the nuts on porridge.

Yup, that or demerara.

I like the idea of manuka in it as my missus is always going on at me to take some.

I have mine with milk (can't do water), small pinch of salt, sprinkle of demerara and either blueberries, sultanas, grapes or whatever fruit I have.

Need to get up earlier as I've stopped having it lately although it is my favourite brekkie for sure.

If I don't have fruit then a few drops of fresh vanilla essence from Caribbean.

Associate
At university right now so I put cheap oats in a mug, cover with boiling water, take a shower and then eat them like that.

Soldato
At university right now so I put cheap oats in a mug, cover with boiling water, take a shower and then eat them like that.

Saves time I suppose, 2 birds with one stone as it were, eat breakfast in the shower. Might try that one myself, would it work with bacon and eggs though!?:eek:

Soldato
Oatbran + Water. Job done.

Occasionally a pinch of salt :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Tesco bulk oats, semi skimmed and a healthy lashing of cinammnonnmnon.

Sometimes I go crazy and add some raisins and manuka honey for a treat.

Associate
Get it from work's canteen every morning, no idea what type of oats (probaby a super cheap 20kg bag!) as it's in a big pot but I have it with one golden syrup most days but sometimes i have strawberry jam in it.

Top Bottom