Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

RSR

RSR

Soldato
PTV is standard its the PDCC that is a option.

This is how I would spec the car

http://www.porsche-code.com/PH1A4HN9

Its tempting but I struggle to see 38k of value on top of my car.

I meant PTV for the Cayman not the 911.

Nice, spec. I'm happy to wait for the GTS models to be released but I guess they are a few years away yet. Also I've noticed there are no aero options yet for the 991.2. Interesting though, you can have rear wheel steering as a option.

I wonder how much in real world terms is this new 911 (S) compared to the 991 GT3 the difference is.

Last edited:
Soldato
Insurance last year; £403. Renewal quote; £449. Renewal after a 2 min conversation with provider £330 :D:D:D

Took car in for a replacement water pump on Saturday morning as it was sounding a little rough. Bloody thing started leaking on the M60 giving a low coolant warning, so jumped off at the next exit and got recovered to garage. Didn't fancy continuing incase the pully snapped, taking the ancillaries with it.

First time the car's been recovered :(. More my fault that its to be honest.

Permabanned
Thought I would ask... the service light has popped on a couple of times, usually when I've overheated the brakes...

Do you think Porsche are going to make me change these discs and pads in order to get warranty?

There's less than 1mm pitting on the disks, which I would be OK with for a while yet...

Then the pads look like they've got quite a bit of life left in them really... but I think Porsche like to make you change them at 50% wear... so they would be borderline?

Asking as if I change them beforehand, I can do them myself for about £600 + the cost of a new jack.

Otherwise Porsche will charge me in excess of a grand...

If I try my luck and they want them changed, in order to get warranty - I'm guessing I'll have to have them do it, rather than taking it away to do myself and then going back. Or am I mistaken? I'd rather not do them before they need doing...

Soldato
Ok could people humour me please.

*If* I was to get a 996 - 2000/2001 model, what would you recommend?

How do they do with regards to mileage? Is there anything to look out for?

Also why is it cheaper to insure a 996 Carrera than a Focus ST or BMW Z4? Because drivers crash less and take better care with security etc?

OcUK Staff
OP

Also why is it cheaper to insure a 996 Carrera than a Focus ST or BMW Z4? Because drivers crash less and take better care with security etc?

Yes and running a 996 cost several times more no doubt, servicing, maintenance and parts are more expensive.

Associate
Looking at getting myself into a Cayman GTS next year.

Few questions:

1) What is the lead time like currently, i've heared it can be months and months.

2) Is there any discount to be had on a GTS or on the finance packages?

Man of Honour

If your looking at the 3.4 then run a quick search on my name, should be plenty of interesting reading.

Basically go in with eyes open, have a slush fund of a few k min sitting there. If it goes wrong engine wise expect to pay what the car is worth fixing it. Things of note to look out for...

IMS bearings, RMS seeping, cracked cylinder heads (my car had this and I know of many others), d-chunking, most will have rotten cooling systems and air con rads.

I absolutely adore mine, have owned it over 3 years and wouldn't give it up. Even if keeping it on the road can be eye watering.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Looking at getting myself into a Cayman GTS next year.

Few questions:

1) What is the lead time like currently, i've heared it can be months and months.

2) Is there any discount to be had on a GTS or on the finance packages?

1. I don't think you can order a GTS any more.

2. I think you may struggle to get a meanful discount on the car, as I did get a penny off mine. So mine all in was £79,001

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Soldato
If your looking at the 3.4 then run a quick search on my name, should be plenty of interesting reading.

Basically go in with eyes open, have a slush fund of a few k min sitting there. If it goes wrong engine wise expect to pay what the car is worth fixing it. Things of note to look out for...

IMS bearings, RMS seeping, cracked cylinder heads (my car had this and I know of many others), d-chunking, most will have rotten cooling systems and air con rads.

I absolutely adore mine, have owned it over 3 years and wouldn't give it up. Even if keeping it on the road can be eye watering.

Thank you for that. Was looking at 3.4 but would consider the 3.6S model. Nearly bought one last week based purely on looks! No research - no nothing! lol

I'll bear that in mind - IMS Bearings - are they the ones in the gearbox? I've seen one highlight that he'd uprated the bearing.

What about tyres? About £800 a set is a rough estimate? I've seen £1400+ quoted but when I look on blackcircles or something it's much cheaper.

I was surprised to see a standard Carrera is narrower than my Ford Focus. Is that right? I was worried about fitting one in my garage as Focus is fine but no chance with a Monaro!

OcUK Staff
OP
Thank you for that. Was looking at 3.4 but would consider the 3.6S model. Nearly bought one last week based purely on looks! No research - no nothing! lol

I'll bear that in mind - IMS Bearings - are they the ones in the gearbox? I've seen one highlight that he'd uprated the bearing.

What about tyres? About £800 a set is a rough estimate? I've seen £1400+ quoted but when I look on blackcircles or something it's much cheaper.

I was surprised to see a standard Carrera is narrower than my Ford Focus. Is that right? I was worried about fitting one in my garage as Focus is fine but no chance with a Monaro!

They are small cars, why they are such a good drive as they can fit down narrow lanes, something that is getting harder to do as modern cars get larger.

Associate
[RXP]Andy;28590748 said:
1. I don't think you can order a GTS any more.

2. I think you may struggle to get a meanful discount on the car, as I did get a penny off mine. So mine all in was £79,001

If you have any more questions please let me know.

I heard there is difficulty getting a new GTS ordered due to the 987.2 coming next year which is a blown I4 engine rather than flat 6.

Why do porsche seem to not understand demand in the market for their cars...the GT4 being a prime example.

My Budget is around the 65k figure. For that i'm ideally wanting PCM,PDK,PTV,Sports Suspension, GTS Interior and Black trim exterior.

I do quite a bit of track work so would want the buckets but only if the standard seats arent supportive enough. Buckets are a pricey option :(

Soldato
They are small cars, why they are such a good drive as they can fit down narrow lanes, something that is getting harder to do as modern cars get larger.

Thanks for confirming. That really surprised me - GT3 etc aside I was expecting it to be wider! Well impressed - means if I got one I cold garage it then just got to decide on the best way to secure the garage as it's a standalone building next to resident parking area. Obviously alarm but no electric....

olv

olv

Soldato
I heard there is difficulty getting a new GTS ordered due to the 987.2 coming next year which is a blown I4 engine rather than flat 6.

Why do porsche seem to not understand demand in the market for their cars...the GT4 being a prime example.

My Budget is around the 65k figure. For that i'm ideally wanting PCM,PDK,PTV,Sports Suspension, GTS Interior and Black trim exterior.

I do quite a bit of track work so would want the buckets but only if the standard seats arent supportive enough. Buckets are a pricey option :(

Current Boxster/Cayman iteration is 981, it's the 981.2 coming with the turbo 4.

You could get a Cayman R for the interim and see where 981 GTS/GT4 prices end up in 12 months? Something like this http://www.911virgin.com/porscheforsale/1013/CaymanRPDK/

Soldato
911 still looking great, not bad for 10 years old, still looks fresh. :)

IMG_4121.jpg

Is your numberplate really WTF!? :D Cool! :D lol

Man of Honour
Thanks for confirming. That really surprised me - GT3 etc aside I was expecting it to be wider! Well impressed - means if I got one I cold garage it then just got to decide on the best way to secure the garage as it's a standalone building next to resident parking area. Obviously alarm but no electric....

They are wider at the back than the front by an inch or so which can be quite deceiving but overall they are quite narrow, they are after all narrow bodied cars unlike the 4s and turbo's.

To answer other questions the IMS bearing sits below the RMS on the back of the block and is covered by the bell housing. The bearing itself, if you believe 911uk and the research a user has been doing over there is much weaker in the 3.6 than the 3.4. The general consensus on the 3.4 and the dual row bearing is to leave it alone, the 3.6 they are single row and they are recommending changing them. I exposed mine had it looked at and decided to leave it alone. There are also two different 3.4 models there is an e-gas model and a cable driven model, if i remember rightly the e-gas came in around 1999.

If I was buying a 3.4 right now I would be checking the following:

- exhaust, manifold and rear silencers (the exhaust will be rotten and splitting at the seams) removing the manifolds, if you need to, ends up being incredibly pricey as most of the bolts etc will be rotten away, getting the exhaust off mine cost me nearly 1k as it was so rotten.

- cooling system, put your hands in the front bumper and see if you can feel a build up of crap between the air con rads and coolant rads. you should be able to feel just how rotten the rads are at the bottom as well. Changing all the rads (air con and cooling) is a diy and will set you back about £500.

- Check if the car has a low temp thermostat if not get one.

- Engine wise regular services are preferred, but I wouldn't mind buying one that has been well looked after with loads of receipts from an enthusiast.

- Pull the oil filler cap off while she is running, if it is any way a bit tight or tricky to pull off you could be looking at the AOS begining to fail.

There are a million other things that can go wrong with these cars but in my experience even a broken one will carry on running, mine did 2k miles with a crack down the middle of one of the heads. Having done a lot of work on mine myself they are pretty easy to work on even with a very basic toolkit so if you are the kind to get stuck in then you can save quite a bit.

Full set of tyres expect to pay £800 to 1k, services with Porsche on a mk1 are offered at reduced rates as they are classed as a classic. I wouldn't let the horror stories put me off and that is coming from somebody who has had the engine out 3 times in just over 3 years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom