Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Commissario
£25k might get you into a 997.2 but more likely a decent 997.1 - there's plenty of knowledge online and buyer's guides, bore scoring for 997.1 cars is hugely documented so worth doing some reading up on it.
The PDK box isn't bad, I had it in my 997.2 GTS but naturally newer cars are better - I'd suggest trying both and see which you prefer.

If looking at 996 models then I believe it's a tiptronic auto, never used it so can't comment but I've driven a manual and it was lovely.

Soldato
Not really, the Mrs bought it :D

I'm the caretaker/cleaner/mechanic and drive it as much as possible. It's a big leap on from the Boxster S which is already a cracking car.

Glad you get to make sure it’s in fine fettle... I’m sure the odd Italian tune up does it good!

@MrKnifey - The 3.4 from the early 996 seems to fare reasonably well reliability wise. The 3.6 has trouble with IMS failure (although after this many years its debatable whether it’ll fail now) and to a lesser extent bore scoring. The 3.8 can be troubled with bore scoring and IMS issues, although >2006 cars had a redesigned bearing. Get a pre purchase inspection done and buy with your eyes open. Be prepared to walk away. I personally wouldn’t buy a tiptronic over a manual. PDK is better but I don’t think you’ll find a facelift 997 at your budget, let alone one you’d actually want to buy.

I’d either buy a 996 C4S or a 997 C2 with this money.

Soldato
Does anyone know if any of the Porsche dealer close to London do fixed price servicing? I need to service a 2015 Cayenne 3.0d and getting silly quote by my local dealer.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Does anyone know if any of the Porsche dealer close to London do fixed price servicing? I need to service a 2015 Cayenne 3.0d and getting silly quote by my local dealer.
OPC Reading certainly do, if not too far away....

Edit: On the subject of servicing (same car actually), i am seriously suspect of the crazily long intervals - 20k miles. I would never normally go against manufacturer recommendation with servicing, but this just seems too long to me. I really dont know whether i am happy leaving it that many miles....

Last edited:
Soldato
OPC Reading certainly do, if not too far away....

Edit: On the subject of servicing (same car actually), i am seriously suspect of the crazily long intervals - 20k miles. I would never normally go against manufacturer recommendation with servicing, but this just seems too long to me. I really dont know whether i am happy leaving it that many miles....

I've heard a few people on here defend that by saying that the manufacturers know best, but I'm not convinced that any manufacturer cares much about the longevity of their cars outside of the warranty period. If an engine fails or starts burning oil when a car is 8 years old and on its third owner, that's not really likely to affect the manufacturer in any way, so why would they care?

Equally, I don't agree with the lunatics who change oil every 3000 miles on normal production cars, but I change it every 8000-10,000 on any car I've had. It's such a small expense in the grand scheme of things, it makes sense to err on the side of caution to me at least.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that Porsche had issues with transfer case failures in 2011-2015 Cayennes due to them not including frequent transfer case oil changes on the service schedule, which would suggest that they might not know best in terms of servicing schedules.

Soldato
I've heard a few people on here defend that by saying that the manufacturers know best, but I'm not convinced that any manufacturer cares much about the longevity of their cars outside of the warranty period. If an engine fails or starts burning oil when a car is 8 years old and on its third owner, that's not really likely to affect the manufacturer in any way, so why would they care?

Equally, I don't agree with the lunatics who change oil every 3000 miles on normal production cars, but I change it every 8000-10,000 on any car I've had. It's such a small expense in the grand scheme of things, it makes sense to err on the side of caution to me at least.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that Porsche had issues with transfer case failures in 2011-2015 Cayennes due to them not including frequent transfer case oil changes on the service schedule, which would suggest that they might not know best in terms of servicing schedules.

I was told it's even more important to change the oil if you don't do many miles?? How true that is I don't know.

Soldato

I was told it's even more important to change the oil if you don't do many miles?? How true that is I don't know.

I don't do many miles and usually do a lot of short trips. I change oil every 4k miles or every year, whatever comes first. Done this on the Boxster and on the Cayenne, It costs less than £50 with filter.
For example one of my bikes is 6 years old, I have it since new and already had 7 oil changes (1st one at 600 miles as the break in)

And yes, cars that do less miles and short trips tend to get oil dirtier quicker as most of the time the engine doesn't even reach normal working temperature.

Associate
What is everyone's opinion on the 981 Boxster? With the PDK option it seems like the porsche guarantee will basically cover the car outside of brakes and tyres? Seems like cheap motoring. Prices very high (40k CHF for 2.7/3.4 PDK) with reasonable miles, but some people say they will hold value with being 6 cylinder relics...

(Friend looking at one, not a clue myself)

Caporegime
What is everyone's opinion on the 981 Boxster? With the PDK option it seems like the porsche guarantee will basically cover the car outside of brakes and tyres? Seems like cheap motoring. Prices very high (40k CHF for 2.7/3.4 PDK) with reasonable miles, but some people say they will hold value with being 6 cylinder relics...

(Friend looking at one, not a clue myself)

Mine has depreciated by £3k in 4 years. Its awesome although I have literally every option ticked on the car.

Associate
edit: see what you mean now!

Yeah makes no sense tbh; just makes those non-gts specced examples worth less later on. When I bought mine I had to find one with the interior specced properly. Guy I know has full extended leather in a GTS and I just cant see the point.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Contemplating coming back to Porsche, originally considered swapping the 458 for a GT3 RS but now had a couple of GT3 RS owners tell me the same thing, amazing on track but verging on boring on the road. Having only driven one on track it was ace but so is Ferrari but never driven an RS on road, hoping to sort that soon as speaking to OPC Chester about an ultra violet they have in stock, but got an inkling the owners who had had them are probably right and to drive on road at normal speeds maybe a bit meh whereas the 458 is an event every time I take it out and I’ve done nearly 12k miles in it now.

So I was wondering about all the Porsches I’ve driven and looking at the range and on looks alone nothing will ever compete with a 991.1 GT3 RS in purple for me, proper race car on the road but I started to think about a car that will be truly fun and epic to drive on the road at legal speeds and I simple kept coming back too a 987 Cayman R or Boxster Spyder but ideally both manual with carbon buckets but AC and radio spec back in. Last and best of the analogue cars with hydraulic steering, no torque vectoring, passive suspension and both under or around 1300kg I think. Also great for how small they are so fun and easy to place on narrower back roads. Plus get to keep 458 too but just wondered if anyone here has owned a 987 Cayman R or Spyder and how you found it? I had a Cayman R many years and I do remember it been incredible fun and very lively at any speed.

Downside is values seem to have jumped by 10k in last year or so and don’t particular want to drop 45-50k on one for the values to drop back to 35-40k secondly they all seem to be PDK which goes a little against the ethos of the car as surely the manual is a must? How is PDK on these cars if anyone has owned one?

Ideally want a Peridot green, buckets, manual, radio and AC. The other question is at 50k is it just better to go GT4 for 70k and I kind of fear a PDK Cayman R just be like a smaller slower 458?

Soldato
I’m not sure what gap in your collection a boxster spyder fills. Granted if you want a Porsche then that’s a really good option, but for road legal top down thrills you’ve got the S2000. If you want a coupe then the Vantage makes a good noise and goes pretty quickly too by all accounts.

This is way out of left field and it’s not a flat 6, but it is purple and has pop up headlights!
https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/12017136

Last edited:
Man of Honour
On road trips my friends in Caymans (various types) definitely do seem to have more fun in the very twisty / narrow bits, but as soon as the road ever opens up they become more like annoying moving road blocks.

I don't really use my 3RSs for normal road driving, not boring as such, just not the right environment. If I owned a 458 I don't think I'd swap it for a 3RS, different cars for different days. A GT3 Touring, maybe...

Back
Top Bottom