Port forwarding on VM superhub 3

Associate
Hello let me first apologise as I'm sure this has already been done to death. I am having some issues getting port forwarding set up on my new VM superhub 3. I had done this on my previous superhub 3 and saved the settings but unfortunately the save file can't be read by the new router. I'm guessing it's a new firmware level or something? I'll get the numbers off it tonight.

Anyway as ever I'm having issues with finding game servers and also connecting to games with some of my friends. Has anyone found an issue where searching for a server in squad or something else only seems to pick up five or six servers before seemingly giving up? Any ideas?

Next is there a decent walkthrough guide for the setup of port forwarding as I cannot seem to find the one I used before and am a bit lost with the layout of the superhubs setup. Port forwarding and port triggering? Or could you point me in the direction of a guide to help me understand it?

All this or am I better off getting a decent router and putting the hub in bridge mode as I have been informed I can't just use a different router altogether?

The connection is rock solid and far in excess of what I expected if only I could get the hub to behave properly for gaming etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
Why do you need inbound connections to load a server list? Sounds more like another issue is causing problems. If it was port forward issues then you'd get nothing at all rather than just some servers, I would have thought. In the Superhub 3 you need to log in and use port forwarding (not triggering). Get a list of the ports your game requires (either from the publisher, Google or whatever). Then, first go into the hub's DHCP settings and set a static IP for your local machine (eg 192.168.0.2). Then in port forwarding:

Local IP (your new static IP for the gaming machine, eg 192.168.0.2)
Local start port (the port the game needs)
Local end port (repeat the port here, or the end port if it's a concurrent range)
External start port (same port as above)
External end port (same port as above)

Apply.

Note that you'll need to add the port forwards in order, starting with the smallest number and working up. It's a stupid bug in the SH3 firmware. If you had to forward - for example - ports 5766, 6578, 8768 and 12965 you'd need to add them in that ascending order. If you added 8768 first, and then tried to add 5766, it would give an error that the 'virtual server already exists'. TLDR, the SH3 is crap and you're better off putting it in modem mode an getting a real router. It'll do the job if you follow this caveat though.

Associate
OP
Hi thanks for the reply. It's when I am browsing a server list it doesn't seem to load more than about 5 or six servers before giving up even when I now there are hundreds of them. (for Rust at least)
ah ok the ascending order may have been my issue as I thought I knew how to setup the ports but kept getting an error. UPNP is enabled I'm pretty sure but i'm still finding issues connecting to games containing certain other players.

I'll give it a go bearing in mind the ascending order and see how I get on. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom