Port forwarding problems

Associate
Hi ,
I've been having really bad connection issues whilst gaming on my PS5 console.
I'm with BT FTTC, wired directly to the router but whenever I set up port forwarding or even use DMZ nothing improves and my ports always show as closed.
I have done a few traceroutes and noticed I have 2 private IPs in hops 1 and 2, although they say the 172.16 subnet is their BT BRAS and wouldn't effect gaming or cause Double NAT.
Can anyone shed any light on what may be wrong or if they have simular issues.

Soldato
You can ignore the 172.16 addresses you see when you trace out, that won't cause you any problems and doesn't mean you'll be double NATted. BT are using private addressing internally, that's fine.

Soldato
Can you post some screenshots from the port forwarding page of your router?

Shoving the PS5 into the DMZ should resolve it. It's not the best way of doing it, but it should work.

Associate
OP
I've already tried the DMZ but it doesn't work, same result.
I can send some screen shots a bit later but I'm certainly doing it correctly as I've tried everything.
On the gaming server I'm getting 20ms ping so can't see why I'm getting these issues.
My brother does have a ps5 too on the same network but even when he's not online the gameplay is awful even at 2am in the morning when traffic should be low.

Soldato
Getting a ping of 20ms isn't overly relevant to port forwarding, but ok.

It's interesting that your brother has a PS5 on the same network. Is everything working OK for him? Having 2 of the same devices on the same network that want to use the same ports can be problematic.

Associate
OP
Yeah sorry, just mentioned the ping to rule out server lag which I know can sometimes play a big part.
My brother doesn't really seem to have any problems , he's connected via WiFi upstairs and I'm wired.
This does point that maybe his device is holding the ports but would this be the case using port forwarding and I've even tried when his device isn't connected to the router at all.

Soldato
Screenshots would be useful. Is UPnP enabled on the router?

You can't have the same port forwarded to more than 1 device. There's probably a preferred way of getting it working, I'm sure I've read a Microsoft doc showing how to set that up for the Xbox, there may be something for the PS5 too.

Associate
OP
Yeah I have it enabled at the minute as port forwarding doesn't do anything.
I'd obviously rather both our connections were great but know ports can only be forwarded to the one which I'm trying to achieve.
My console always seems to be the one that suffers even though I'm wired, port forwarded and had this issues for years.

Associate
OP
Most gaming developers now say you should open ports if you are having connection issues.
I thought it was pretty common practice now as a lot of online games are played on dedicated servers.

Caporegime
Open ports generally just means outbound, though. A game connecting out to a server will be allowed through pretty much every consumer router in default settings.

Back
Top Bottom