• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible driver conflict between Asus EN8800GTS and Abit IP35Pro?

Associate
Hi all,

Okay, a couple of months ago my PC started having issues with a game called EVE Online where starting the game up would result in the dreaded BSoD.

It seemed to be linked to the screen resolution I was running the game in - 1152x864 - as it would sometimes run on 1024x768 (though it would still crash occasionally on this setting) - but it would always crash on the resolution I liked to use once the problem started.

The problem only started manifesting itself after about a month from my upgrading my PC and installing Windows (XP, SP2) and then EVE. I racked my brain trying to find the problem and could only come up with a possible driver conflict with my graphics card. I couldn't sort it out so decided on the drastic measure of re-installing Windows.

This gave me the opportunity of using one of my 3 HDs for Windows only, another for programs and the last for data. Everything, again, seemed to work fine for about a month again until this morning when the BSoDs started again - 8 in under an hour - so it's clear I haven't sorted the underlying issue out.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be - I can post the error codes if that would help but it stated:-

"Faulting application exefile.exe, version 3.21.0.35601, faulting module python25.dll, version 2.5.1150.1013, fault address 0x0005b429."

in the Application Event Viewer when I looked in Administrative Tools - as I'm pulling my hair out over this?

If it helps, my setup is as follows:-

Abit IP35Pro MoBo
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.67GHz
2Gb DDR2 RAM
Asus EN8800GTS graphics card
1x80Gb Samsung Spinpoint SATA HD (Windows installed here)
2x500Gb Samsung Spinpoint SATA HDs (EVE Online installed on one of these)
2x Samsung SATA DVD-RAMs (with lightscribe)
No sound card, using the onboard sound until I can afford a new sound card! :o;)
Windows XP, SP2

I have got myself Windows Vista on the way in another stab in the dark at what the issue may be but have no idea if this will sort the issue out - or make it worse.

Could it be that the fact that I am using onboard sound rather than a dedicated decent sound card that is causing the issue?

I have also noticed that, once this issue starts showing itself that I have issues with other video intensive software, eg, playing DVDs and video clips in Real Player, causing the BSoD as well and is one of the reasons I think it may be a conflict between my MoBo and graphics card. If it was a hardware problem I would have expected it to still have been present after the last re-install of Windows. Right? :confused:

Any help that anyone can give on helping solve this issue will be very gratefully received.

Associate
OP
Possible cause found now need a solution

Hi all,

OK, I think I've narrowed down the cause of this issue. I've been on a couple of other forums and people having the same issue have found that it seems to be caused by having the AVI DivX codec installed when having an 8800 series graphics card fitted as well.

So, if that's the cause does anyone know of a solution? I need the AVI codec installed as I have hundreds of hours of video footage I've taken encoded in this format to save HD space. I also cannot afford to simply buy a new graphics card and Overclockers are hardly likely to take my 2 month old card back and replace it with an ATI based one simply because there's a software conflict between my card and 1 piece of software I have installed - right?

Many thanks.

Caporegime
Sounds odd, is this just a problem with that particular board, as ive got the DivX codec installed, and never had any problems with my GT, or my GTS before it.

Have you tried the VLC Player, im sure i read somewhere that that has its own codecs, so you don't need any others installed.

Associate
OP
Sounds odd, is this just a problem with that particular board, as ive got the DivX codec installed, and never had any problems with my GT, or my GTS before it.

Have you tried the VLC Player, im sure i read somewhere that that has its own codecs, so you don't need any others installed.

The problem, by all accounts, can take a while to manifest which is what makes it so hard to track down. I've seen posts on forums from people who say the BSoDs started happening 3 months after they installed the DivX codec.

As for VCL, yes - I've got that. I've also got FFDShow which uses it's own codec - libavcodec - to decode MPEG-4 encoded videos rather than the DivX codec. If that doesn't work then VCL will be tried next.

Back
Top Bottom