Possible house move... Wife seems excited. Myself... meh

yes depends what the quality of the party wall is, about a 12 year old property and never hear a peep, original builder owns several on the development, maybe he did a good job?
definitely notice the additional heat loss in the parents detached property and lower thermal inertia vs semi.

Does depend what the outlook/view of the two properties is, too - whether they are overlooked (need shutters?), a view of the sea/mountains trumps a detached

Unless you've already got your house ready/up for sale you're unlikely to be able to sell quick enougg to purchase this house.

Id high level use 3k+vat per sqm for any extension without any details.

Unless you've already got your house ready/up for sale you're unlikely to be able to sell quick enougg to purchase this house.

Id high level use 3k+vat per sqm for any extension without any details.
I don't need to sell.
I've been offered a bridging loan to cover the shortfall, which is tied to the current home. I'll have 12 months to sell

I don't need to sell.
I've been offered a bridging loan to cover the shortfall, which is tied to the current home. I'll have 12 months to sell
Yikes what's the interest rate on the bridging loan? They can be quite hefty.

One other thing to consider is be honest with if you're over egging the value of your current place/could you afford it still with say a 25k reduction on your sale price.

My question really is... am I mad ....

Yes. Completely off your head old chap.

Living on the same road as family means they will inevitably become a big part of your life. AKA, "popping round" uninvited. Maybe your wife might like to give your Mum in law a key so she can pop round when you're pinching the one eyed snake working from home?
Send shivers down the spine...
Then just when you get over that, the neighbours start yapping through your walls.
Life sucks.

You dream a dream of a detached house far away, in the countryside....

Whilst it might be a saving if you do want the 4/5 bed eventually or just a bit more room the extension may prove cost prohibitive.

Might be why the current owner never bothered?

We had a rough eyeball quote for an extension at our last place prior to covid, then afterwards when we got another had pretty much tripled :eek:

We were meant to move to a 5 bed, idiot buyer means we ended up in a 4 bed and whilst a big upgrade to where we were the 5th bedroom deffo would have it uses.

Personally I'd not move unless 100% happy that it's an upgrade where it's needed.

I'd deffo speak to the sellers about their extension plans

We bought a three bed semi after a four bed detached. Most of the street seem to have moved in in 1961 when they were built and not moved out yet. Anyway we downsized to let a millennial move up the ladder. One has to you know.

It is actually good we hear nothing but I am a bit deaf, there is a warm non external wall on one side of the house and no grotty single slab width gap between the houses always in the shade.

Well no detached and no en-suite is a deffo no-no for me. I have a teenager who spends hours at a time doing god knows what in the main bathroom.
I wouldn't by choice choose go back to a semi or with my own bathroom unless circumstances meant I had to.

Well no detached and no en-suite is a deffo no-no for me. I have a teenager who spends hours at a time doing god knows what in the main bathroom.
I wouldn't by choice choose go back to a semi or with my own bathroom unless circumstances meant I had to.
I'f we used the planning permission, It would add a Massive bedroom with an Ensuite. I'm talking 8m*3.4m Master bedroom. Quite frankly ridiculous.

Last edited:
i'll never go back to sharing walls with another house. not worth the hassle if you can afford to avoid it. but that's maybe just me.....i'd also not want to be living on the same road as my wifes inlaws - even though i get on really really well with them.
This.

My first house and current house were/are semis. In the process of buying my next home which is detached for noise reasons, privacy reasons, so my dogs don't **** anyone off and so I can turn the sub up on my home cinema system and rattle the house.

I'f we used the planning permission, It would add a Massive bedroom with an Ensuite. I'm talking 8m*3.4m Master bedroom. Quite frankly ridiculous.

The sounds amazing tbh but how much is that going to rinse you for though and does the budget allow?
Also are you up for the disruption, mess and inconvenience of what would become a building site for a period of time...

When I had my extension built on my previous house, my house was not my house for about 3-4 months, we occupied it yes but alongside and endless stream of tradesmen 4-5 days a week.
I hated it so much at the end that instead of extending further last year, we moved instead because I'm just not for that again.

Some people done mind it, but the mess, dirt, dust along with a total lack of you own space is something I just didn't like at all.
Having said all of that above though, the biggest nope for me would be it being a semi-detached, my previous neighbour was a lone pensioner and we had to sit and listen to his coughing fits every single morning (before he sparked up his 1st of 30 fags that day) which he flatly refused to go to the doctors for and his abnormally loud TV at night because he totally refused to go get tested for a hearing aid.

The sounds amazing tbh but how much is that going to rinse you for though and does the budget allow?
Also are you up for the disruption, mess and inconvenience of what would become a building site for a period of time...

When I had my extension built on my previous house, my house was not my house for about 3-4 months, we occupied it yes but alongside and endless stream of tradesmen 4-5 days a week.
I hated it so much at the end that instead of extending further last year, we moved instead because I'm just not for that again.

Some people done mind it, but the mess, dirt, dust along with a total lack of you own space is something I just didn't like at all.
Having said all of that above though, the biggest nope for me would be it being a semi-detached, my previous neighbour was a lone pensioner and we had to sit and listen to his coughing fits every single morning (before he sparked up his 1st of 30 fags that day) which he flatly refused to go to the doctors for and his abnormally loud TV at night because he totally refused to go get tested for a hearing aid.

My Plan (IF I say yes), is to Buy the home with a Mortgage / Bridging loan.
Then Extend it prior to moving in.

Once in, sell our current home.
The owners, had quotes of 60-80k to build the extension. I can likely get that lower with a Timber & SIPS construction.
Budget would not be an issue here.

Yes, the neighbours do worry me, however, at the moment it's an older lady (70's), on her own. No dog, but a cat.
Who knows though.... Sound proofing is a thing for Semi's. However can be very disruptive when being done.
Might see if I can budget that in prior to moving too.

Ofc... I may just say no to the wife and keep waiting for a Detached 4 bed to come up in the school catchment area.

Sounds like a good shout tbh if you have that option to be doing the build prior to moving in.
I'd 100% be doing that personally over trying to exist alongside a large building project at home. I detested every minute of it, especially towards the end when a random tradey would turn up in the morning to do a job and a random trades would then turn up in the afternoon to finish a different job...was so frustrating.

Is there a view on the value of the house post build completion and whether the build costs would add enough to the value to be in positive equity?

Back
Top Bottom