Possible house move... Wife seems excited. Myself... meh

Sounds like a good shout tbh if you have that option to be doing the build prior to moving in.
I'd 100% be doing that personally over trying to exist alongside a large building project at home. I detested every minute of it, especially towards the end when a random tradey would turn up in the morning to do a job and a random trades would then turn up in the afternoon to finish a different job...was so frustrating.

Is there a view on the value of the house post build completion and whether the build costs would add enough to the value to be in positive equity?
Good question.

I'll ask the estate agent what they would value it at if it was done.

What is better about the semi than the detatched ones you've been looking at? If price wise they work out the same AFTER paying for an extension (and taking on all the risk that entails) then I don't see the benefit of the semi myself.

What is better about the semi than the detatched ones you've been looking at? If price wise they work out the same AFTER paying for an extension (and taking on all the risk that entails) then I don't see the benefit of the semi myself.
Its the internal layout in the areas that would be used the most.

The previous extension was completed around 2 years ago. So the kitchen, fittings etc are all VERY recent and modern.
Nice large garden with a cabin type office space at the rear. Ideal as I've recently been told I'm to work from home. Where I cannot do so now due to lack of space.

The house is quite a bit larger than the current house. Even more so when extended. Feel free to have a look: (bearing in mind, I'd only offer around 330k at the most) HERE

Last edited:
Haha.
But seriously... is 335 what you'd suggest to go in at?
I was thinking more like 325, and see what happens.
(ofc if i like it)
have a look at zoopla and see what similar properties go for..... a few miles can make a big difference and there are vast differences across the country, for instance our semi is worth around £380k but if i could air lift it 15 - 20 miles into Cambridge it would be worth pushing a mil

Last edited:
have a look at zoopla and see what similar properties go for..... a few miles can make a big difference and there are vast differences across the country, for instance our semi is worth around £380k but if i could air lift it 15 - 20 miles into Cambridge it would be worth pushing a mil
Smaller 3 bed detaches go for 300-350.
Semi's with similar bedrooms have gone for 280-320, However, none with the ground floor space this one has.

I'll chat with the agent and see why they valued it at 350, Zoopla values it at 322. Which is likely what I'd offer

Zoopla says it was listed for 325 back in Dec 2023... So yea, no reason to add 25k, apart from chancing their luck. (Although, they have planning permission granted and a large office built in the garden since that listing. However, that doesn't warrant a 25k boost to the homes value. )

Last edited:
But seriously... is 335 what you'd suggest to go in at?
Haha no definitely not. Was just a joke to say I'd offered more than you'd be prepared to pay for it. :P

Zoopla says it was listed for 325 back in Dec 2023... So yea, no reason to add 25k, apart from chancing their luck. (Although, they have planning permission granted and a large office built in the garden since that listing. However, that doesn't warrant a 25k boost to the homes value. )
I have found it quite peculiar that homes with planning permission approved are usually listed for a few grand more... probably it's to show that there is extension potential. Personally would ignore this as it only costs like £270 to put in the proposal to the council lol
Have a look if there is a corresponding listing on Rightmove, you can use the extension on chrome called property log to see the listing price changes.

Personally if it was listed 9 months ago for £325k I wouldn't be paying more than £330 (£335 at a push). My initial offer would probably be £320...as long as you'd be prepared to walk away

The only caveat being that interest rates have started falling to sustain the housing Ponzi scheme, so it may start turning heavily towards being a sellers market again (not that it never was in the first place)

Last edited:
Haha no definitely not. Was just a joke to say I'd offered more than you'd be prepared to pay for it. :P

I have found it quite peculiar that homes with planning permission approved are usually listed for a few grand more... probably it's to show that there is extension potential. Personally would ignore this as it only costs like £270 to put in the proposal to the council lol
Have a look if there is a corresponding listing on Rightmove, you can use the extension on chrome called property log to see the listing price changes.

Personally if it was listed 9 months ago for £325k I wouldn't be paying more than £330 (£335 at a push). My initial offer would probably be £320...as long as you'd be prepared to walk away
Good plan. Thanks for your input. Everything helps me get an idea about what to do.
I'll be viewing it tomorrow at 2pm.

Good plan. Thanks for your input. Everything helps me get an idea about what to do.
I'll be viewing it tomorrow at 2pm.
I did a ninja edit, just so you didn't miss it

The only caveat being that interest rates have started falling to sustain the housing Ponzi scheme, so it may start turning heavily towards being a sellers market again (not that it never was in the first place)

*rubs crystal ball*

“I said yes and we bought it”

*fast forward six months*

“The old lady next door is deaf and has the TV on at 800 decibels all the time. What have I done?”

would you also need to loose a garage if you extended your current place.
(last week looked at relations neighbour doing that on a 3 bed bungalow , had wondered about value impact , garages are such great storage/diy places even w/o car inside )
you'd probably merge upper wc into bathroom, and add shower, along with proposed 4/5 bed extension - surprising they hadn't done that, narrow wc/no basin, is really an artefact of 50/60's council houses.

what do similar non-extended properties go for in that area - so how much value did existing extension add.

e: genuine energy rating on properties interesting to look at too - walls & slab

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom