Possible house move... Wife seems excited. Myself... meh

Saw it today.
It needs work. Repainting throughout. (as you'd expect)
New carpet in one room.
Ground floor shower needs some minor work. ***
Bathroom needs ripping out, and wall knocking through, so a Bath-Shower can be installed. ***

Office in rear of garden, needs insulation, electrics and plaster boarding before its useable as an office.

As part of their original recent extension, they added an additional block wall to the party wall with sound block plaster attached. As a way to add sound proofing. Which solves a worry.
Loft is massive and boarded. Could be extended into in far future if needed.

*** Would be done as part of the extension I expect.

Things to think about for sure.
Be wary on the garden room. It's incredibly difficult to retrofit insulation in a meaningful way and if it wasn't done right in the first place it begs the question about foundations etc...

Be wary on the garden room. It's incredibly difficult to retrofit insulation in a meaningful way and if it wasn't done right in the first place it begs the question about foundations etc...
It's basically done.
Just need insulation added between the studs and plaster ontop prior to finishing the surface.
The foundation under it is a cement slab.

I'd get a survey done prior to going too far. And ask them to check it.

It's basically done.
Just need insulation added between the studs and plaster ontop prior to finishing the surface.
The foundation under it is a cement slab.

I'd get a survey done prior to going too far. And ask them to check it.
Needs a dpc if it's on a slab amongst other considerations. Just make sure that's in place else it'll just be a rot box. My friend got excited by the prospect of a garden office and 3 years in he's asking how to best replace it.

Surveyor won't generally look at them beyond a quick look.

Needs a dpc if it's on a slab amongst other considerations. Just make sure that's in place else it'll just be a rot box. My friend got excited by the prospect of a garden office and 3 years in he's asking how to best replace it.

Surveyor won't generally look at them beyond a quick look.
What's a DPC?
How would I go about checking it? It's not like I can go and lift it up lol

What's a DPC?
How would I go about checking it? It's not like I can go and lift it up lol
Damp proof course. It stops moisture from rising up through the ground and wicking into the wood, eventually rotting out. Have a good thorough look around it - if anything is in contact with ground or rotting, it's probably a good sign it's a posh shed and will be rotten within 5-10 years. Take pics close up and share them... If it's a log lap dunster house it's probably junk.

Damp proof course. It stops moisture from rising up through the ground and wicking into the wood, eventually rotting out. Have a good thorough look around it - if anything is in contact with ground or rotting, it's probably a good sign it's a posh shed and will be rotten within 5-10 years. Take pics close up and share them... If it's a log lap dunster house it's probably junk.
Ill arrange another viewing and get some pics.

He said the kit cost him 20k... and tbh, it felt solid.

Back
Top Bottom