Possible motherboard is dying? Ethernet drop outs

Associate
So out of the blue yesterday my ethernet port stopped picking up Ethernet cable.
In device manager all looked good. Done network resets, re-installed drivers etc...no luck.

So I picked up a TP link USB to Ethernet. This works and I have been getting my full speed.

But i seem to getting a micro disconnect/ reconnect randomly. Can go a hour or so perfectly then get random disconnect and it reconnects straight way.

I have gone into USB settings and turned off any power settings that might put it to sleep.
Updated drivers etc....

Not sure what else to try, why would it work for over 30mins then get a random drop out.

My only thought is mobo is starting to go faulty. b450 Tomahawk.

Have tried in 3 high speed USB slots.

Man of Honour
Definitely try a different cable. Sometimes this might happen if it is forced to renegotiate the speed e.g. say you are connected at Gigabit speed but the cable is an old CAT5 or whatever that is only rated to 100mbit. It might work fine at Gbit speed 99% of the time but then drop down to a lower speed periodically.

Soldato
Could be. I had awful trouble with the port on my motherboard. It just got progressively worse. Everytime I switched the pc on, not network. during use it would drop the connection 2 or 3 times an hour. 'Had to reset the the interface every single time. I just bought an intel network card in the end. But yes, rule the cable out first.

Associate
OP
I jus notice one more setting I missed on the TP link device itself, (disabling windows from putting it to sleep to save power) Done usb hub ones but not the Tp link itself.
Fingers crossed this works.

I have tried different cable and that was no difference. Tried different ports on router as well.

Removed my external usb hard drive and other usb devices incase USB was overloading and causing a issue (no idea if thats a thing)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom