1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible simple cure for cancer, pharmaceutical companies not interested

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jak731, May 15, 2011.

1. jak731

Soldato

http://hubpages.com/hub/Scientists_cure_cancer__but_no_one_takes_notice

Not sure if this is genuine or hyped up, could be amazing if true. Alberta uni page:

http://www.dca.med.ualberta.ca/Home/index.cfm

Article published in Science:

http://www.dca.med.ualberta.ca/Home/Media/articles/stke.pdf

2. sniffy

Sgarrista

3. shroomz

Wise Guy

4. sniffy

Sgarrista

Source?

5. shroomz

Wise Guy

Haven't got one, wrote an essay on it 4 years ago at school, will try to find it now.

Alberta's articles were published in the journal Science Translational Medicine. Just search DCA or dichloroacetate.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  6. jak731

Soldato

7. d_brennen

Capodecina

Companies not interested in non profit making ventures. Wonders will never cease!

8. sniffy

Sgarrista

Thanks.

Well I'm totally ignorant about medical stuff so can't really digest the paper's content. Has some respected organisation voiced their opinion on these findings?

I understand why private companies won't pursue something that isn't going to make big bucks but surely SOMEONE can make money from this to make it practical? Not to mention saving countless lives.

I'm sceptical.

9. jak731

Soldato

Yeah purely on the potential benefits to humanity you think this would garner more attention/funding, everybody knows someone who has cancer or has died from cancer. Must be missing something, not sure what though.

10. Rainmaker

Soldato

I'm not commenting on the content of the OP directly as I don't know enough about it to do so. However, it has to be said that if something as monumental as a cure for cancer could be ignored on commercial/profit potential grounds then the 'system' is very, very broken and something ought to be changed.

11. sniffy

Sgarrista

Indeed. I recently lost a very close friend to cancer. Nicest bloke I've ever known and I'll be a lucky man to find another friend like him in my life. Kinda sucks to think he could have been saved if such drugs were developed.

I'm hoping someone with some basic education on the matter could voice their opinion or provide me with some readable articles.

12. shroomz

Wise Guy

No the problem is that the drug hasn't been proven to work. Knowing that it tends to have an effect on some cancers in a petri dish is completely different to knowing it will be effective. My initial interest was the sensationalist article I read in New Scientist while at school (bear in mind, I spent maybe 40 minutes working!) here:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10971-cheap-safe-drug-kills-most-cancers.html
    This article provides a much more balanced view, in my opinion by suggesting a more subdued attitude:
    http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2010/05/dichloroacetate_dca_and_cancer_deja_vu_a.php

13. Pixel

Soldato

Find someone with cancer (unfortunatley not a hard thing to do).

Give them this chemical, tell them to mix it in their tea every day.

See if it works.

14. shroomz

Wise Guy

Then they get side effects and die. You get done for manslaughter if you're lucky. Glhf.
    Clinical trials exist for a reason.

15. Pixel

Soldato

I was going from this:

16. Huw

Wise Guy

Having a background in molecular biology, I'll read the Science article with interest - tomorrow, when I'm not drunk. :D

I don't know where to begin. Science as a tool is fantastically useful. The way that this tool is applied in the real world, though, is abhorrent. We could've developed a universal cure for cancer a long time ago if the required dosh hadn't been spent on equally life-saving stuff like ICBMs, stealth aircraft and all the other splendid ways to make people die. :rolleyes:

***Rant deleted*** - I'll just say that, yeah, money talks. If money weren't a consideration we would have cured cancer by now. No problem.

In fact, you know what? We probably already have cured cancer. There are plenty of therapies already available that will make mincemeat of tumorous cells. The larger problem is delivering the therapy to only those cells without harming the rest of the organism. Curing cancer in a petri dish is a piece of ****; curing it in a Human being is difficult as hell. I'll read that paper tomorrow and hopefully see how these guys have claimed to solve the problem.

17. v0n

Soldato

Isn't this old story - Dr. Simoncini and Baking Soda killing cancer (puts on accent) "beecoz cancer iza fungi, iza mushroom"? And now we have confirmation that sodium dichloroacetate kills cancer?

18. jak731

Soldato

Here's the paper the article in science is based on:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WWK-4MV1J7C-4&_user=144535&_coverDate=01%2F31%2F2007&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=gateway&_origin=gateway&_sort=d&_docanchor&view=c&_acct=C000012058&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=144535&md5=a8961c1dd418f69bf7bba61d84de1d65&searchtype=a

Interesting picture of a DCA treated tumour and control on page 11.

The scienceblogs article was an interesting read, makes it sound less like a miracle drug but still promising. I think the point still stands that it needs more attention.

19. Greenlizard0

Man of Honour

The system is fine.

It's just there to make a truck load of money and nothing else.

20. Amp34

Caporegime

This is the problem, there's a "cure" for cancer every few months, problem is they don't work, generally they were never expected to work in the first place without major extra research and even then it has tiny potential... The problem is the mainstream (ie non scientific) press and normal people get hold of what scientists and scientific papers say and the "may", "could", "possibly"'s suddenly vanish and it becomes "fact" and "works". It's way too common, especially with anything remotely political (eg cancer and climate change).

Cool story Bro... Just have a look and see what every day technology was "invented" due to missile programs, military aircraft and all those other things... ;)

I can almost guarentee that you wouldn't be sat at a computer typing that if money wasn't spent on ICBMs...