Possible simple cure for cancer, pharmaceutical companies not interested

Associate
Err yeah, this is basically garbage? It comes up every few years, its completely non-feasible as a 'cure', just one of those '**** THE CAPITALISTS' type things.

Art

Art

Associate
Just took a rapid scan through that Science article (emphasis mine):

However, because the clinical use of DCA has been associated with peripheral nerve toxicity (28, 29), the clinical efficacy and toxicity profile of DCA as an anticancer agent will have to be carefully examined in clinical trials. If this toxicity can be tolerated and its efficacy demonstrated, DCA treatment may be an important example of anticancer intervention through metabolic targeting. Although the above observations offer hope for a relatively simple and cost-effective way of specifically killing cancer cells by targeting their metabolism, the situation is likely to be more complicated in practice. [Section explaining that this chemical targets the pathway cells use to get energy from glucose, and that many cancers appear to be able to use alternative pathways.] Indeed, it has been documented that cancer cells can switch metabolic pathways or energy sources in response to nutrient depletion or fuel source limitation (36). Thus,
the targeting of a single metabolic pathway, such as inhibiting glycolysis, may not be sufficient to eliminate tumor cells. Given the heterogeneity of human tumors and the instability of cancer cell genomes, a major challenge to the metabolic targeting strategy may be potential resistance to a single antimetabolic drug. Combination therapies that block multiple metabolic pathways should therefore be considered in both preclinical “proof of principle” trials and in clinical settings.

In other words, it ain't as simple as just giving the patient one drug. First they have to check if the toxicity is a problem, then they have to work on combining it with other chemicals. The thing about cancer is that it isn't a condition, it's dozens of causes which manifest in an often relatively similar way. A drug which cures one kind probably won't cure all kinds, so walking around saying this is a Cure For Cancer isn't really accurate. There seems to be a bit of doubt in that Science article about exactly how many kinds of cancer and therefore how many people this would definitely help.

I'd guess that Pharma actually are interested in this, but not on its own. They're probably busy trying to find what it combines well with to produce a real, useable drug.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Thank Christ i was trying to wonder if you'd gotten concussed as you normally seem sane :p

One thing to remember though, even if the drug can be produced by anyone, the company that tests it, then first treats will have all the news coverage eg "GlaxoSmithKline CURE CANCER!!!"

Doesn't matter if someone muscles in on the cheap production later, that there would be the single greatest PR campaign of all time and get them a lot of funding/recognition and stock boost.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's no money in a cure

I could quote numerous other posts which are so quick to jump on the bandwagon of cynicism against these big money making pharmaceuticals.

While I agree that their model is of course making profits first, everything else second, refusing to produce and market a guaranteed 100% safe and effective 'cure' for cancer would be an outrage and this would never happen. I haven't done the research, but I am certain there are significant reasons why this drug is not our 'cure' for cancer.

In any case, the reason that they are not taking it on because they can't patent it is ridiculous. A drug company can patent anything if they wanted to. All they have to do is modify/augment the drug in some small way and then patent that. Even better, they produce some form of combination therapy. Either way, the patent is not an issue.

Soldato
there is buckets and buckets of money in cancer research just from charities. If it is promising and pharmac'ls won't pick up, then one of the charities definitely will/would have.

Soldato
there is buckets and buckets of money in cancer research just from charities. If it is promising and pharmac'ls won't pick up, then one of the charities definitely will/would have.

Precisely. Also, universities will almost definitely be willing to pump money into research which leads to the cure to cancer. They are desperate to improve reputation via Nobel laureates.

This is after all why people donate to cancer charities - not having to rely on pharmaceuticals.

C64

C64

Soldato
Genuine or not the drug companies are not interested in cures for anything they wouldn't sell drugs if they found cures.

Soldato
What we need is someone to broadcast the cure....wideband!!

5.jpg

Man of Honour
I remember this ages ago, didn't it need something like direct application or huge concentrations and wouldn't work outside of a petri dish and inside a person.

But equally if this is so cheap and effective as they claim why hasn't one of the NPOs or cancer research charities funded it?

Pretty sure that was the problem with it - hard to direct it to the cancer or you had to flood the body with such a high level that it was more likely to kill them than the cancer.

EDIT: It was rats/mice - without being able to target the cancer directly they had to exceed the LD50 of dichloroacetate in rats/mice to attack the cancer with the obvious side effects - I'd imagine tho that does mean in cases where they can apply it directly it is potentially useful.

EDIT2: WHO investigation also found that absorbtion/metabolisation of it in rats was much higher than in humans making it less useable in humans.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom