• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible upgrade to AMD Phenom II XT 1090t

Associate
Hi All,

Could someone who is much more knowledgeable than me advise of any possible upgrade to my CPU please.

I currently have an AMD Phenom II XT 1090t (I know AMD, but money….). I’ve had this for at least 8 years. I only use my PC for iRacing and a bit of web design so don’t need anything ground-breaking, just wondering if there was a worthwhile upgrade in the £50 - £100 range?

The motherboard is an ASUS Crosshair IV Formula which I believe is an AM3 socket. I’ve updated other main parts of the system over the years to the following:

1050ti
16GB Ram
SSD

Apparently, iRacing is fairly CPU intensive so I definitely think my old CPU is the bottleneck at the moment. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Soldato
You're pretty much at the limit. There is a 1100T but it's a miniscule clock bump which you could easily achieve by overclocking your 1090T; I'd spend the money on a decent cooler and see how far you can clock it.

I'm still rocking one myself, serves the other half very well with what she does paired with a GTX 950 Strix.

Soldato
New CPU would involve a new motherboard and new RAM, you'll not get that for £100

You could get 50-60 quid for the cpu, mobo and ram combo you still have. Sell the 1050Ti (might get 80-90 for it) add that all up and get 100+60+80 = £240

and get
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £253.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

A decent b450 mobo would cost more but would allow you to drop in a Ryzen cpu later at no extra outlay, other than the cpu.​

Soldato
Are you running the 1090T overclocked? They're fairly easy to crank up to 4GHz-ish, and overclocking the CPU-NB up towards 3GHz also provides a healthy performance boost. I was quite impressed with the gaming performance of my 1090T cranked up like that and paired with a GTX 780 when I still had it back in 2016.

Soldato
I’ve got the same CPU running at 3.9GHz and it runs everything I currently have adequately and as mentioned above there are limited noticeable in place upgrades available.

I’m probably going to be in the market for Zen 2 as long as pricing is sensible but can hold out ‘til it is released but if you’re itching to upgrade now then subbytna’s suggestion would be a decent way forward.

Soldato
Yeah but if he's spending money he might as well get a new platform. That's an old dead platform he is on and has been for years. He can always stick a GPU in later and disable the GPU on the cpu, then stick a new CPU in when he has funds. A step by step upgrade without a huge layout to start with....or get a OCUK 12 month repayment option and just get a full new AM4 setup and pay it off monthly.

Soldato
The short answer to your question is no.

My advice would be to overclock the CPU and NB as suggested. This will give you a noticeable boost if you are CPU limited.

Don't throw anymore money at the platform you have - if you're set on upgrading, save up until you can afford something decent.

Permabanned
Hi All,

Could someone who is much more knowledgeable than me advise of any possible upgrade to my CPU please.

I currently have an AMD Phenom II XT 1090t (I know AMD, but money….)

If you have had an intel core 2 quad q, it could have been worse :D

You can try to upgrade with this CPU - 8 logical processors:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £98.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Associate
op, if your cpu is not oc'ed, then it should be easy with your motherboard to do it. Provided you have a good cooler. Even a Cooler Master 212 will enable you to oc to 4GHz. Plenty fast for the gpu you have.

EDIT: If the game you're playing is single threaded, then i recommend disabling 2 cores and OC to 4.2GHz. Keep an eye on your load temp. Keep it under 55C. Lower ambient will help along with a nice cooler. You should be able to oc to 4GHz with all 6 cores at around 1.38-1.4V. Might be lower depending on the cpu.

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't throw money at such an old rig - save up and move to AM4. Your biggest expense will be the DDR4 RAM. A B450 and a 2200G would probably wipe the floor with your AM3 machine.

Associate
As above at this point in time a hundred quid saved in the pocket is a future with a better platform, ride it out and when your ready to upgrade properly its another ton in the kitty. Stay strong you'll scratch the itch when timing is right

Soldato
Tbf I started on a 2400G and then added a GPU and will then put a ryzen3 series in it. But the 2400G is pretty much keeping up with an RX590 so he would be good on his 1050ti.

Back
Top Bottom