Possible Upgrade??

Associate
This is my setup at the moment

Windows 10 Professional 64Bit

ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 Intel X99 (Socket 2011-3) E-ATX Motherboard (American Megatrends Inc BIOS- BIOS Version 3701, 31/03/2017)

Intel Core i7-5930K 3.50GHz (Haswell-E) Socket LGA2011-V3 Processor

Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler with 2x Aerocool DS Edition Fan - Red - 140mm

Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit

Seagate ST2000DX001 2TB Desktop 3.5 inch SSHD Internal Solid State Hybrid Drive

Western Digital Black WD4005FZBX 4TB desktop 3.5 inch SATA Internal Hard Drive

Crucial CT512M550SSD1 512GB M550 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive

Samsung SAM 850 Pro 1TB 2.5 inch SATA III Solid State Drive (OS Drive)

ASUS Geforce RTX 2080Ti ROG STRIX OC 11264Mb GDDR6 Graphics Card

LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray DVD SATA Drive

Corsair CC-9011030-WW Carbide Series Air 540 ATX High Airflow Cube Performance Windowed Computer Case – Black with 3 x Aerocool DS Edition Fan - Red - 140mm and Corsair Generation 2 Sleeved Cable Kit-Red

NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller 6x 30W Channels

Corsair HX1200i 1200W '80 Plus Platinum' Digital Modular Power Supply (CP-9020070-UK)

ASUS ROG STRIX XG32VQR 32” Monitor.

Bose ® Companion ® 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Logitech MK710 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.

I obviously want to reuse a lot of the above, but not sure which way to turn, regarding an upgrade??

I would like to swap out my case for Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL (ROG Certified) Aluminium Midi-Tower White case anyway and get some Corsair ML120 Pro LED Red Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans for the case and AIO radiator too.

I have the normal choice, Intel or AMD. The top CPU's in both camps have nearly the same outcome in most tests.

Now do I get and AMD setup:

RYZEN 9 3900XT TWELVE CORE 4.7GHZ (SOCKET AM4) PROCESSOR - RETAIL (100-100000277WOF)

ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 CHIPSET ATX MOTHERBOARD

KRAKEN Z73 AIO CPU WATER COOLER WITH LCD SCREEN - 360MM

TEAM GROUP EDITION 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT (8 Pack Kit)

and then add the above bits GFX etc

Or do I get an Intel setup

CORE I9-10900K 3.7GHZ (COMET LAKE) SOCKET LGA1200 PROCESSOR - RETAIL

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA (SOCKET LGA 1200) DDR4 ATX MOTHERBOARD

KRAKEN Z73 AIO CPU WATER COOLER WITH LCD SCREEN - 360MM

TEAM GROUP EDITION 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT

My PC at the moment is still no slouch and works well in everything, so I can't complain. I've just got that itch, if you know what I mean? Its getting on a bit with the X99 motherboard!?

The cost of the AMD bits are £1,390.46 incl vat and delivery. The cost of the Intel bits are £1,601.06 incl of vat and delivery. So AMD is obviously cheaper, but the cost isn't a deal breaker.

It looks like the latest CPU's from Intel are a stop gap until they reduce the size of the internal workings of their CPU's like AMD have done. So, do I buy whats available now and upgrade in a year or so to an even newer Intel CPU, when it comes out?? Will it also need a new motherboard too???

Not sure if I am right about this. The Ryzen chipset/socket on the AMD motherboards will accept nearly all the Ryzen range, so I would hope any new CPU they bring out will also fit the motherboards available now?? So do I get the AMD setup and then just update the CPU as and when the new CPU's become available and no need for a change of motherboard??

I do like the Intel stuff, but not sure I want to just have a stop gap setup (Intel trying to fill the gap against AMD at the moment, till they get something better in a year or so) I haven't had an AMD setup for years, but they look like a viable option now, they have come on leaps and bounds and are only getting better.

There is one more option......I keep my present setup, swap out the case and fans, AIO and maybe add another ASUS Geforce RTX 2080Ti ROG STRIX OC 11264Mb GDDR6 Graphics Card???? I know the 3080 maybe coming out at some point, but the 2080 is a monster of a card anyway and will last a few years yet.

Questions, questions, yeah sorry about that, a bit of a dilemma really!? Thanks for any help/ advice, it would be appreciated to make up my mind. Thanks.

Soldato
Zen3 Ryzens might be released in few months and would be best to wait for it.
That 6 core isn't any immediate bottleneck in games.

It looks like the latest CPU's from Intel are a stop gap until they reduce the size of the internal workings of their CPU's like AMD have done.

maybe add another ASUS Geforce RTX 2080Ti ROG STRIX OC 11264Mb GDDR6 Graphics Card?
Intel will be reducing number of cores, because that old re-re-re-rebranded 14nm+++++++ node coudn't take bigger upgraded for the first time in five years architecture cores.
Though even with reduction in number those bigger cores are probably such power hungry that clocks speeds are lower.
(extra transistors never come free and usually their space and power requirements have been compensated by new smaller node)

Multi-GPU has been dead on water for many many years, because they needed driver tweaks for individual games to work well.
(which was extra workload for driver makers)
And then DirectX12 made it responsibility of game developers to utilize multiple GPUs.
You can guess how much time and resources they have for wasting on that.

Back
Top Bottom