Possibly clocked car purchase..

Soldato
Be interesting to find out, it’s not illegal to clock a car. It’s illegal to sell a car knowing it’s been clocked and not disclosing it? As a lease you’ll never sell the car.

I'm surprised it's not illegal. I can't think of a good reason why you'd clock a car.

Soldato
OP
So I thought I’d update this:

I fired off a second email to Toyota UK/Europe regarding my issue. I also contacted the franchise. They called me back and I explained the issue of the mileage discrepancy, the women on the phone said she’d get someone from the service centre to give me a call. As of today I am still awaiting the phone call.

I then heard back from a customer representative at the same time. Explained my issue and low and behold it was fixed. The mileage on the app now matches what’s on the car. I asked whether it’s possible to have the mileage checked at a dealer. He put me in contact with the nearest dealer who gave me a call.

The dealer stated that unlike other manufacturers where the mileage is stored in different modules. In Toyotas it is not, it is stored in the instrument cluster and that’s what the ecu reads off, he said he wasn’t aware of this.

He said you could get a car, at 10kmiles, do 40k in the year before the next service, get a new cluster and change the mileage to 20k less and we wouldn’t be the wiser. He said bringing the car in wouldn’t prove much, as we’d just see what it says on the odometer. He also mentioned if the condition of the car seems right for the mileage it’s showing it’s most likely it was an issue with the app.

I said I’d speak to Toyota uk and go from there.

I replied back to my customer representative and asked if they could have it to me in writing where the mileage is stored, and also the mileage was correct at the time of sale to their understanding. He didn’t mention the former, but the latter he said wasn’t their job and he’d ask the franchise I bought it from to contact me. Tbf a big ask but I’ll see how it goes.

I’m surprised there aren’t multiple locations of mileage storage on these like German cars.

Last edited:
Associate
I really think you are overthinking this. Just recently Ki's Connect app had seen miles on the car being shown as kms on the app. Tis the way of the software bug.

Soldato
OP
I really think you are overthinking this. Just recently Ki's Connect app had seen miles on the car being shown as kms on the app. Tis the way of the software bug.

I entirely agree. I feel I have overthought it. But I always aside with the side of caution nowadays.

I’ve had bad car experiences in the past so sadly that’s the way I have become with such things :p

Back
Top Bottom