Post Your Daily Encounter Pics Here

Soldato
The modern hot hatches somehow just don't feel as quick though. The power delivery is very tame, emissions controls seem to kill the responsiveness, numb steering, and I suspect there is just a little bit of "VW figures" involved with the stats (like 0-60 times measured while not really starting at 0 :/) :D
I suspect you couldn't daily an F40, or at least not in heavy traffic and I think they were quite temperamental too.

Soldato
When announced and tested they were incredible. In that era a Porsche Turbo was circa 315bhp, a Ferrari 348 around 300bhp and the F40 and 959 (the first of the hypercars it could be argued) were 400bhp and here was a Vauxhall with 377bhp.

It shows how crazy the world is today with 400bhp hot hatch backs! It also shows why spreadsheets should never be used to determine best!

AMG 45 or F40….both have 400bhp and the Merc has 4WD so it’s better in the corners init
Exactly
Add to that, plain looking saloon EV’s doing the 1/4 quicker than all but the most focussed dragstrip cars, no driving skills required

Soldato
Still quite quick for a manual. I bet they still have quite good in gear pace, but loads of turbo lag low down the rev range. 0-60 times isn't really a good indicator of how quick something is.

They will outrun the speed limited German stuff and go on to around 180mph :p

I suspect that the boost comes in on the Lotus Carlton from quite low rpm. You had a 3.6ltr engine and a pair of Garrett T25s which aren't particularly large and certainly very responsive when fitted to a 2ltr.

Actually, Wikipedia suggests that it could make 10psi of boost from 1500rpm, so unless you tried driving everywhere in 6th you're going to be easily above the boost threshold.

Soldato
I suspect you couldn't daily an F40, or at least not in heavy traffic and I think they were quite temperamental too.

Can't be any worse than dailying an Elise and I did that for 8 months without to much trouble (only 1 breakdown) :p

Only problem now is the value has made them almost un-usable.

Soldato
I was thinking more reliability, where do you park it without worrying about dings and how difficult (but rewarding) I assume it would be to drive. I personally think its the refinement of cars that's come along way (as well as fast gearboxes which gives a low 0-60 figure), sticking a turbo on somethings easy, as everyone's done it, but I seem to remember an evo made the same power as an a45 (if not more) and that's 20 years old or so.

Soldato
I was thinking more reliability, where do you park it without worrying about dings and how difficult (but rewarding) I assume it would be to drive. I personally think its the refinement of cars that's come along way (as well as fast gearboxes which gives a low 0-60 figure), sticking a turbo on somethings easy, as everyone's done it, but I seem to remember an evo made the same power as an a45 (if not more) and that's 20 years old or so.

Yea and the Evo was much lighter too.

Soldato
There is 80kg difference between an Evo-FQ400 and a Mercedes A45s.
I seem to remember those EVO's had very short service intervals.

Yep and they guzzled fuel like a V12. You couldn't make a 2.0 engine like that under current regulations which is why they are no more powerful now.

Back
Top Bottom