Post your Jonathon Palmer Trackday Times / Videos here - LEADERBOARD!!

Soldato
BMW M3 GTP - 76.67s
Formula Jag - 85.905s
JP-LM - 87.47s
Kart - 31.08s
Cat Superlight - 56.00s
Clio - 63.74s
911 - 69.59s
Cat Pursuit - 42.79s

SUM - 513.245 (Yes I'm rubbish :D)

A big thanks to Gibbo for sorting this out. I'd definately be up for this again but preferably in the drier season :)

Permabanned
wow! that looks awesome, realy impressed with the instructor and the way he pushes you to go faster, must attend the next one if there is another lined up, realy impressed and nice driving too :)

Yeah - he was one of the two best instructors I had that day... really helped me build my confidence in the fast corners & very good at explaining where I was going wrong and how to improve.

Shame you can't hear CBH talking... he was brilliant too!

and thanks :D

Permabanned
Not got time to watch the whole thing, but nicely held at around the 5:34 mark. She looks like a bit unforgiving to drive. Good tuition too.

It was my hesitation that was catching me out for the most part... not next time! I'm a wet noobie... only been caught out in the wet in the kart once & didn't like it so was careful with the forecast in future lol. Those things just gripped and gripped at speed... must be astonishing in the dry!

Apart from the two slowest corners you want to use the throttle pretty much digitally in that and the single seater - practically on or off... it's designed like that... I kept fearing the back end was going to step out lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Here is my Formula Jaguar plot, kinda surprised and disappointed that i don't seem to use full throttle during the fastest lap... also believe my this fastest actual lap was one where i was deliberately slowing down from the traffic in front of me to make some room to put a quick one in, which i promptly made a mistake on.

Graph links to larger version.

Bmw M3 GTP

Caterham 7 Superlight - Superslow, I blame the car it was clearly bent after someone put it up a banking.

Jaguar JP-LM

Last edited:
Associate
my times from the day

BMW M3 GTP - 75.06
Formula Jag - 85.50
JP-LM - 88.30
Kart - 32.41
Cat Superlight - 60.26
Clio - 62.26
911 - 64.50
Cat Pursuit - 42.21

SUM - 510.5

Really enjoyed the M3 and the Formula Jag and really supprised at my Clio time which was quickest of the team :cool:

Here's a quick clip of me getting a bit sideways in the m3
[/QUOTE]

Soldato
Dup said:
IMG_1367.jpg

Cheers Dup, one for the album :D (If you've got a higher res version can I have a copy?)

Kaiowas... we need to meet up for some form of racing sometime... was awesome being so close!

Forget those silly ideas of getting an M3. Buy yourself a Toyota and come join me in the TSS next season ;)

Gibbo, cheers for organising and for making us all look good in the Porsche. My single seater time was 81.806, total was 489.556 (looks like you've got all the others)

Not looked at my videos properly yet but on first glance it looks as though my single seater files are corrupt :(

Man of Honour
Seems like everyone got a great day, such a well run event these JPM days, refreshing to see people being pushed rather than pulled back.

Vix

Vix

Associate
Total time was 428.76 - remember I didn't do the Formula Jag, to be awkward!

My JPLM time was 87.78 so I'd say a 90 for the single seater!

Also what were people's 4x4 scores? I'm quite interested in those!

Time: 29.25
Targets: 23
Rails: 6
Total: 29

Soldato
Wow. This looks utterly fantastic, some great cars to drive and the tuition looks good too. I've tutored people on a course who are first timers. Can't say I'd overly enjoy the constant stream of instructions.

I can fully appreciate an outfit such as this and think the price is reasonable. Anyone gonna do a story/writeup of the day? Would be interested to see what the structure of it is, etc. I'll be keen if another one is organised also.

OcUK Staff
OP
Wow. This looks utterly fantastic, some great cars to drive and the tuition looks good too. I've tutored people on a course who are first timers. Can't say I'd overly enjoy the constant stream of instructions.

I can fully appreciate an outfit such as this and think the price is reasonable. Anyone gonna do a story/writeup of the day? Would be interested to see what the structure of it is, etc. I'll be keen if another one is organised also.

We shall be doing another one in 12-18 months, were just waiting for them to get the Atoms. :D

Soldato
Which is what counts. :)

Judging by your improvement today I'd say you gained a lot from the JP day as you were way faster round Donnington today. :)

I felt heaps faster today than at the Palmer day, familiarity of track and car I guess :)

Just stitched my vids together and my times later on were pretty consistently 2.11, which isn't too bad I reckon. Apparently the best fiat club time (slicks, 440bhp and bags of experience) was 1.58, so not a million miles off :)

Soldato
Anyone gonna do a story/writeup of the day? Would be interested to see what the structure of it is, etc. I'll be keen if another one is organised also.

This is what I posted on another forum:

"Right starting at the beginning...

The day started wet and the track was drying very slowly, even by the end of the day there were still a few slippy spots to be wary off. First up were the Caterhams on the East circuit and I really couldn't get on with it. Think it was down to a combination of a very slippy track, a very tight circuit and a 'safe' setup on the cars, I was just getting understeer into virtually every corner and had a couple of offs (understeered off the road once and had a little spin). Most sessions of the day were timed and as we were there as part of a group of 15 from another forum there was a certain element of competition. I spent most of my session caught up in traffic and only got a clear track ahead for my last 3 laps, every one was an improvement on the last but I never felt like I got a representative lap in. Due to mechanical issues with one of the cars Vix was running slightly out of sync and found herself last out with the track to herself and posted the fastest time of our group

Next up was Porsches and Clios on the North circuit, I think the aim here was to give us the chance to experience front and rear wheel drive on the same circuit back-to-back so we could appreciate the differences. With us having to do two cars in one session there wasn't really a lot of time in each. I was in the Clio first and found it good fun, it really inspired confidence and you could properly chuck it about. The Porsche was a little disappointing, not sure why but most of the group seemed to have a similar opinion with comments along the lines of "Underpowered", "Crappy Tiptronic 'box" and "it felt a bit numb and detached".

Then we moved on to the South circuit for the BMW M3. This sounded awesome, was great fun to drive plus we seemed to get a good length run in them I think they we're universally popular with everyone. Although I enjoyed driving it I wasn't particularly fast in it, I think it was down to the instructor basically giving too much advice. He was talking me through every corner to the extent that I never really had time to think and take in what I was doing and what was coming next. Vix was faster than me in the BMWs and even overtook me at one point

After a quick lunch break we had a relatively sedate introduction to the afternoon activities. First up was offroading and the Caterham sprint. Sensing a rivalry between me and Vix the organiser put us up first in the Caterham sprint (A short head to head autotest tyre course). Was good fun and a resounding 3-0 victory for me, posting second fastest time of our group. Then we went around a short off road course in a Landy, was OK but not really my thing and a little dull, plenty of climbs, steep decents and driving through water though if you like that sort of thing, there were also hanging tennis ball targets (accuracy was required as you had to hit them dead centre on a target stuck to the windscreen) and a pair of log rails to drive along. Nearly got a perfect score on this, just missed dead centre on one of the tennis balls.

Next we headed over to the West circuit for karting, JP-LMs and Formula Jaguar single seaters. We karted first, was just me Vix and one other (who had a history of racing 2-stroke gearbox karts) on track for our sub-group. I really enjoyed the karting session, and spent most of it chasing down the other guy before he let me through then he followed me for the rest of the session. I set the fastest lap time in our group and 3rd fastest time of the day. Then we went out in the JP-LM. This thing was awesome, so much grip and the track was finally drying enough to make the most of it. The instructor was also very good, he just gave very short clear instruction on when to brake, when to turn in and when to change gear to allow me to gain confidence in the car, this was basically a training session before we were let loose in the single seaters which share the same powertrain. As you'd expect the single seater wasn't too different but being in the car by myself made a big difference, I knew I wasn't being as brave as I had been in the LM but I still enjoyed it thouroughly.

Finally we went back to the hospitality area for prizegiving, there were prizes for fastest time of the day in all cars bar the single seater (these weren't competitive but we did get a printout with some data traces and a time at the end od the day.). As we'd done most of the timed stuff in the morning we weren't expecting anything and we were proved right as all of the individual prizes went to other groups. Each group did have a "Driver of the day" award though, I managed to take this award for our team and finish second overall which I was rather surprised by!

Overall a great day and although a little expensive it's well worth doing if you get the chance, I'd quite like to go again just to try everything on a completely dry track now!"

Soldato
And the JP-LM has just finished processing:

Ploughing through the videos but this looks like a good drive. More time in that car would have definitely seen you quicker. Could easily see confidence growing.

Can't believe how much the tutor pushes you. Excellent to see after seeing other experience days barely let you drive the car.

OcUK Staff
OP
This is what I posted on another forum:

"Right starting at the beginning...

The day started wet and the track was drying very slowly, even by the end of the day there were still a few slippy spots to be wary off. First up were the Caterhams on the East circuit and I really couldn't get on with it. Think it was down to a combination of a very slippy track, a very tight circuit and a 'safe' setup on the cars, I was just getting understeer into virtually every corner and had a couple of offs (understeered off the road once and had a little spin). Most sessions of the day were timed and as we were there as part of a group of 15 from another forum there was a certain element of competition. I spent most of my session caught up in traffic and only got a clear track ahead for my last 3 laps, every one was an improvement on the last but I never felt like I got a representative lap in. Due to mechanical issues with one of the cars Vix was running slightly out of sync and found herself last out with the track to herself and posted the fastest time of our group

Next up was Porsches and Clios on the North circuit, I think the aim here was to give us the chance to experience front and rear wheel drive on the same circuit back-to-back so we could appreciate the differences. With us having to do two cars in one session there wasn't really a lot of time in each. I was in the Clio first and found it good fun, it really inspired confidence and you could properly chuck it about. The Porsche was a little disappointing, not sure why but most of the group seemed to have a similar opinion with comments along the lines of "Underpowered", "Crappy Tiptronic 'box" and "it felt a bit numb and detached".

Then we moved on to the South circuit for the BMW M3. This sounded awesome, was great fun to drive plus we seemed to get a good length run in them I think they we're universally popular with everyone. Although I enjoyed driving it I wasn't particularly fast in it, I think it was down to the instructor basically giving too much advice. He was talking me through every corner to the extent that I never really had time to think and take in what I was doing and what was coming next. Vix was faster than me in the BMWs and even overtook me at one point

After a quick lunch break we had a relatively sedate introduction to the afternoon activities. First up was offroading and the Caterham sprint. Sensing a rivalry between me and Vix the organiser put us up first in the Caterham sprint (A short head to head autotest tyre course). Was good fun and a resounding 3-0 victory for me, posting second fastest time of our group. Then we went around a short off road course in a Landy, was OK but not really my thing and a little dull, plenty of climbs, steep decents and driving through water though if you like that sort of thing, there were also hanging tennis ball targets (accuracy was required as you had to hit them dead centre on a target stuck to the windscreen) and a pair of log rails to drive along. Nearly got a perfect score on this, just missed dead centre on one of the tennis balls.

Next we headed over to the West circuit for karting, JP-LMs and Formula Jaguar single seaters. We karted first, was just me Vix and one other (who had a history of racing 2-stroke gearbox karts) on track for our sub-group. I really enjoyed the karting session, and spent most of it chasing down the other guy before he let me through then he followed me for the rest of the session. I set the fastest lap time in our group and 3rd fastest time of the day. Then we went out in the JP-LM. This thing was awesome, so much grip and the track was finally drying enough to make the most of it. The instructor was also very good, he just gave very short clear instruction on when to brake, when to turn in and when to change gear to allow me to gain confidence in the car, this was basically a training session before we were let loose in the single seaters which share the same powertrain. As you'd expect the single seater wasn't too different but being in the car by myself made a big difference, I knew I wasn't being as brave as I had been in the LM but I still enjoyed it thouroughly.

Finally we went back to the hospitality area for prizegiving, there were prizes for fastest time of the day in all cars bar the single seater (these weren't competitive but we did get a printout with some data traces and a time at the end od the day.). As we'd done most of the timed stuff in the morning we weren't expecting anything and we were proved right as all of the individual prizes went to other groups. Each group did have a "Driver of the day" award though, I managed to take this award for our team and finish second overall which I was rather surprised by!

Overall a great day and although a little expensive it's well worth doing if you get the chance, I'd quite like to go again just to try everything on a completely dry track now!"

Nice writeup, I shall try to dig out my dry times scorecard from the last event if I still have it. :)

Powersliding, spinning, going backwards in the 911 yesterday was invaluable for this mornings wet/greasy Donnington trackday as I had a little off where I got my braking wrong.

Apart from that all was well and I don't know if its because the JP 911's had slicks on or were just older 996 models, but my god they felt utterley tosh, zero feel/communication, terrible terrible gearbox and no sense of power. In comparison driving mine today in changing conditions they are not even remotely similar, the 997 has more feel, a whole lot more power and most of all far more progressive, controllable and a lot more fun. :)

I think the JP 911's have had their day and are due replacements, I'd recommend they get some lovely 997 GT3's. :D

Back
Top Bottom