Post your Jonathon Palmer Trackday Times / Videos here - LEADERBOARD!!

Permabanned
Tempting - I just want a lot more power than a CBR600 engine can give me... I'm not saying they're slow, just not fast enough for me :D

Formula Ford/Renault has tempted me... :)

I need to have a big think... I'm starting to lean away from the M3 for now... get something a bit more track focused and then wait a year or so for an M3. Getting into a series is very tempting!

Permabanned
That would give me the kick I'm after... similar power to the JPLMs, but different characteristics to the engine so it'll scream like a banshee and really kick you in the back when it hits that power band.

I'm just concerned about the running costs of a Radical, I've heard they can be extortionate! I could do with some research as £20k isn't out of reach if I'm not going to get the M3 for a while...

Associate
Tempting - I just want a lot more power than a CBR600 engine can give me... I'm not saying they're slow, just not fast enough for me :D

Formula Ford/Renault has tempted me... :)

I need to have a big think... I'm starting to lean away from the M3 for now... get something a bit more track focused and then wait a year or so for an M3. Getting into a series is very tempting!

Let me know if you want any info on Formula Ford 2000s. When I was deciding what to go for I was open to all options including Elise trophy, Formula Ford 1600s and various other cars. The 2000s won me over on balance of the driving experience being slicks and wing cars, and the costs to buy and run. For me a big factor was always going to be having a good series to race the car in too.

They do Jedis with the 1000cc engines, and they're certainly quick (closer to f3 pace). I understand they do cost more to run than a Formula Ford though.
The newer Formula Renault are quite a bit more to buy/ race but are very quick. The older Formula Renaults can only really be raced in something like monoposto against a mix of other single seaters.

Permabanned
What kind of money is it (roughly) to go through a season of FF2000?

You're right in that the series is important... i've not done much competative stuff, just playing and it does get a little frustrating when there is no-one to race against once in a while! So I might really enjoy some of those weird and wonderful cars, but significantly fewer races to attend...

I'm far too used to using up all my budget to buy exactly what I want then running out of money to actually race the thing, lol... so it would make much more sense and be overall more enjoyable for me to get something a bit cheaper to buy/run with a good series to join.

There was a jedi mk4 for not much money on pheads a while ago with a turbo/charged busa engine kicking out over 350bhp... that would have been insane... with engine they weigh a touch over 400kg, i believe?

Associate
Sports 2000 is an option if you wanted something more like the JPLM

The JPLM is actually pretty heavy in racing car terms, and I suspect with the revs they allow you 265bhp is very optimistic. Something like this would probably be much quicker despite having less power on paper:
http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/39946/van_diemen_rf94_sports_2000_duratec.html

Compared to the radicals the running costs should be much more sensible as the duratecs aren't so highly stressed. They also have a pinto engined class and the cars are cheaper but still quick.

Associate
What kind of money is it (roughly) to go through a season of FF2000?

You're right in that the series is important... i've not done much competative stuff, just playing and it does get a little frustrating when there is no-one to race against once in a while! So I might really enjoy some of those weird and wonderful cars, but significantly fewer races to attend...

I'm far too used to using up all my budget to buy exactly what I want then running out of money to actually race the thing, lol... so it would make much more sense and be overall more enjoyable for me to get something a bit cheaper to buy/run with a good series to join.

There was a jedi mk4 for not much money on pheads a while ago with a turbo/charged busa engine kicking out over 350bhp... that would have been insane... with engine they weigh a touch over 400kg, i believe?

The costs on the website are a year or two out of date but these should give you an idea http://www.universalracing.co.uk/ff2000/costs.htm

I'd say things like Formula Ford (1600 and 2000), Formula Vee or monoposto are among the cheapest ways of going racing (or even doing track days) in terms of running costs. What you actually spend all depends on how much of the work on the car you do yourself, how competetive you want to be, and how carried away you get with spending money! Ive only got a relatively tiny budget, but in FF2000 I expect to be competetive in the races I can afford to do.
Some of the other series you need crazy money to be anywhere other than the back!

A 350bhp Jedi would be mental - I think they're actually 325kg without a driver! Something to consider though is whether you'll get the most out of driving a car like that without getting to the limits of something more modest first? I've raced karts for many years, but it's certainly going to take me some time to get everything out of the formula ford!

Permabanned
Formula Renaults are prettier IMO... but I see what you mean about the jump in cost :( Don't really care what it looks like from the outside when you're on the track hehe.

What kind of power outputs and weights are the FF2000 and FR2000?

I can tell what I'm going to be spending most of this weekend reading about! :D

Have any vids worth watching?

Last edited:
Associate
Formula Renaults are prettier IMO... but I see what you mean about the jump in cost :( Don't really care what it looks like from the outside when you're on the track hehe.

What kind of power outputs and weights are the FF2000 and FR2000?

I can tell what I'm going to be spending most of this weekend reading about! :D

Have any vids worth watching?

The FF2000s are 130bhp, 440kg. It may not sound much, but they are respectably quick. What circuits have you driven cars at? A laptime comparison will probably give you a better idea.
More importantly though, they're well sorted cars that have been racing for nearly 30 years now! The reason is that they're great fun to drive and easy/relatively cheap to run.

There are several different types of Formula Renault. In the UK series they are 210bhp and 505kg, with a lot of aero - very quick cars! However a competetive drive will cost you £300k+ :O

There is also a BARC renault series, that has a number of classes for the various older Formula Renaults pre 2006 I think. The later cars are still sophisticated carbon tub cars and I hear £30-50k is the ballpark to be run in one!
I think they have a club class, but I'm not sure exactly what the spec of the cars are. You'd be running around the back of the main BARC grid in one though.

Older Formula Renault 1700s are closer to the FF2000s in pace and cost to run, but don't really have anywhere to race other than monoposto.

I'm certain some of the current FF2000 drivers don't spend more than about £5k a season. However, they will no doubt be doing all the work on the cars themselves at that price. One of the best thing about the series is that the tyres don't degrade too much. Last years champion did the season on 2 sets of tyres at something like £500 a set. Other series you don't stand a chance without fresh rubber! Equally, if you rented a car and got a team to run you it would obviously cost significantly more. £10-15k I'd image.
Of course you don't have to do a whole season, I'll just be doing a handful of races until the budget runs out!
FF1600s are very similar, except they run the same treaded tyre wet or dry use the 1600cc kent engine and don't have wings. They are about 3secs a lap slower than the 2000s but are great fun and there are races almost every weekend of the year that you can race one in!

I'll send you a pm in a bit

Permabanned
Cheers dude,

I can do most maintenance myself (learnt on my first mx5 and kart), of course they're different but they look reasonably easy to work on :)

It's just engine internals I haven't touched yet, but a 130bhp 2.0l engine isn't exactly highly strung, so i'm guessing rebuild cycles are very long...

My first big track experience was the palmersport day... been to quite a few kart tracks down south... never made it up to cadwell / oulton which could have been good comparisons :(

Which series/class are you in? There seems to be quite a few for different age ranges of cars?

Associate
Cheers dude,

I can do most maintenance myself (learnt on my first mx5 and kart), of course they're different but they look reasonably easy to work on :)

It's just engine internals I haven't touched yet, but a 130bhp 2.0l engine isn't exactly highly strung, so i'm guessing rebuild cycles are very long...

My first big track experience was the palmersport day... been to quite a few kart tracks down south... never made it up to cadwell / oulton which could have been good comparisons :(

Which series/class are you in? There seems to be quite a few for different age ranges of cars?

If you can do all the mechanical bits on an Mx-5 you'lll be fine with a formula ford. They're if anything easier as everything is accessable and designed to be taken apart/rebuilt quickly. The engines are simple enough and running standard parts. The 2.0 pintos as you say aren't very highly strung so last relatively long between rebuilds as track engines go.

There are two FF2000 series, Historic (cars form 1981 and earlier) and Classic (pre 1984 cars). The Classic class is largely made up of RF82 and RF83 Van Diemens which was the dominant car of the period (partly because of a certain Ayrton Senna driving one!)

The Historic class is relatively recent and is currently very popular. The result is that the cars are relatively pricey (stick historic in the name and you double the price!). Grids in the classic class are a little smaller atm (partly because the pre 81 cars previously could only in the classic series in class B.) but its still a solid series.

I went for an RF82, because prices are low at the moment and they're a really good car (and noticably stronger/safer than some of the older cars)

Formula Ford 1600 (kent engine) have several classes .... Historic, Classic (pre 81) Pre 90 and then various other championships for cars up to current day as long as they use the kent engine. Suprisinly, the modern cars really aren't much (if any) quicker than even cars from the mid 80s with a decent driver.

Permabanned
Might be worth me doing one of the Silverstone single seater experiences?

£60 for 8 minutes behind pace car & 10 minutes free (last minute deals)
or
£159 for 20 minutes with pace car & 20 minutes free

They'll be newer 1600s, but should give me a nice idea if I would be keen or not...

Associate
Might be worth me doing one of the Silverstone single seater experiences?

£60 for 8 minutes behind pace car & 10 minutes free (last minute deals)
or
£159 for 20 minutes with pace car & 20 minutes free

They'll be newer 1600s, but should give me a nice idea if I would be keen or not...

Its hard to say how they'd compare. The cars at silverstone are designed especially for the school, they won't really be directly comparable to either a 1600 or 2000 Formula Ford. I doubt they'll give you the freedom you get at Palmer either. I'm sure it could be fun to do at that price, but I'm not sure it will give you the answers you're looking for.

It is certainly possible to rent a car for a test day to try it out before you commit, but I'm not sure where you can do it without having passed an ARDS test first.

PS I sent you a message in trust

Caporegime
Did this yesterday and finally found this thread. Wow those M3 V8s were quick! JP-LMs need some recalibration but as said the instructors are really good.

OcUK Staff
OP
Did this yesterday and finally found this thread. Wow those M3 V8s were quick! JP-LMs need some recalibration but as said the instructors are really good.

So did you do it in the new M2 Competition then? As they used to be M3 V8, then M4 Turbo junk and this year they have or are updating to the new M2 Competition. :)

Caporegime
Was a work event with Renaultsport so the M2 bit was replaced with passenger laps with Riccardio in a Megane. Would have been good to try the M2.

I luckily got to go in just the Clio and JP-LM in the afternoon before the rain ! JP-LM I was doing well until a spin (touched a puddle going wide on the previous corner) and knocked by rythme and confidence. Car is probably different to 2011 but was 80.1sec best.

Clio was good but I’m sure it had a problem with the part throttle

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom