Potential EPL 2 week Winter break for 19/20 season

Caporegime
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43812904

Basically a two week break, staggered depending on the clubs games is being mooted and while this won't be a complete shut down for a specific period it does mean that each club will have two weeks without any games after the decision was taken to stop replays in the FA Cup from the 5th round onwards and move the 5th round games to midweek.

Personally it's a good thing, but (and this is a big but) it will only work if the clubs actually give the players two weeks (or ten days or whatever) rest. I have my doubts that the players will actually get most of those two weeks with clubs no doubt hatching plans to play exhibition games in the Middle/far east or America in those two weeks. Is an 8-12 hour flight, complete with jetlag and playing even an exhibition game then flying on another 8-12 hour flight 'rest'? I don't think it counts.

The FA should mandate that the players receive at least 1 complete weeks rest without training and no games at all, as F1 does in their summer break with even CPU time at teams HQ's restricted during the shutdown. Thoughts?

Soldato
Agree with you, given it has been pushed on the grounds of the players being overworked, it absolutely needs to stipulate a minimum 'no working time' for the players.

Back
Top Bottom