Potential Motherboard Issues?

Associate
Recently I started turning my PC off overnight - since then I developed a B2 boot code which related to the graphics card which I then RMAd.

Now I'm getting cold boot issues with the temporary card, no b2 error, just a mix of bios codes, no one in particular.

After resetting CMOS/removing gfx card, booting, putting gfx card back in - it seems OK again.

This happens every cold boot.

BIOS is up to date
All defaults whilst troubleshooting no OC

issue remains with whichever PCI slot I use - I'm starting to wonder if there was actually a MB issue and not my gfx card... and the higher power card just highlighted it?

I have a new card that I have held off installing at the moment until I have sorted this mess.

Asrock ZXtreme 97 6 I think the board is, 4790k.

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions? I'm thinking my board is on the way out - maybe worth noting the primary M2 slot stopped working a while back, so I had to move the M2 to the secondary.

Thanks in advance, sorry the info is a mess.

Associate
It might seem a silly question but when did you last change the MB Lion battery? Sometimes they're not very good even when new, and having a full power one can make a difference.

Associate
OP
It might seem a silly question but when did you last change the MB Lion battery? Sometimes they're not very good even when new, and having a full power one can make a difference.

Never, sounds worth a go!

Last night I disconnected and reconnected everything carefully - moved the M2 SSD back into the primary slot which stopped working ages ago and this is now working again. (Few BIOS updates since then)

Didn't manage to get to test a fully cold boot as the machine had been left on but the machine did start.

I've turned it off today so I'll try it when I get home.

It's frustrating that there doesn't seem to be a particular error to troubleshoot...

I'll get a bios battery too.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Got gfx card and bios battery to try this week, getting fed up with it all though.

I have a 1700x at work I may swap my cpu for it.
Any board and ram recommendations?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom