Potential new car

Soldato
I doubt this will natter in the slightest but dont expect too much out of the 2.0 tdci. Both of mine (one with and one without dpf) came out at low to mid 40's motorway driving. As I said I cant see how this would possibly matter given your mileage, just when you mentioned the 1.6 economy

Soldato
I doubt this will natter in the slightest but dont expect too much out of the 2.0 tdci. Both of mine (one with and one without dpf) came out at low to mid 40's motorway driving. As I said I cant see how this would possibly matter given your mileage, just when you mentioned the 1.6 economy

That's pretty poor isn't it? I've had 46mpg out of my 3.0TDI on a run before.

Soldato
Thirsty !? Surely a 1.6 can't be that bad ?

lol yes, yes it is. Went to hire a diesel insignia from enterprise one, they only had a petrol focus in stock. I really needed the car there and then so had to take it and it blew me away how thirsty it was.

I had a MK1 1.6 focus at the time and this 2011 plate one was a thirsty mofo in comparison.

Soldato
OP
Hey all just an update.

Long version:
Dad has bought a 2.0TDCI Focus Titanium Estate - 6 months old with sat nav, some form of looks pack and parking sensors - £16999 :eek: Not a bad price by all means as they are not exactly cheap new!
Ford offered him £4000 for the old Focus on trade in, but he would rather sell privately to get more money.
I won't bore you with all the details on why, but the Micra is half my mum's car. The deal is I get the Focus for £4000 and sell the Micra to my brother for £200 (Looking at pistonheads and autotrader I reckon I'd get £700 for it with ease as the condition is fantastic).
I will pay dad to tax it as the Focus is due for renewal.

Short version:
Getting Focus for £3930 with 12 months tax and giving Micra to younger brother.

Question: Is £700 a fair price for my Micra? 2000, 1.0, very good nick, everything works, doesn't need any money spent on it.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, if the deal is that you get the focus so cheap because of family rates and helping your brother out I wouldn't go and ruin it by being greedy and wanting more on the micra. Judging by the fact you say this is half your mums car I'd assume this is the case. If it's just a case of your bro offering you £200 for it then ok, fair enough, you might want to go for more but it's up to you. This does however mean you have the aggro of selling it on if your brother doesn't want to pay that much for it. Plus wont you have to go half on the money with your mum anyway? Or are you just selling your half of the car? Personally I'd just let my brother have it for £200 and be done with it, that way you're all getting a good deal and everyone is happy. Depends on your relationship with your brother I suppose.

Associate
Hey all just an update.

Long version:
Dad has bought a 2.0TDCI Focus Titanium Estate - 6 months old with sat nav, some form of looks pack and parking sensors - £16999 :eek: Not a bad price by all means as they are not exactly cheap new!
Ford offered him £4000 for the old Focus on trade in, but he would rather sell privately to get more money.
I won't bore you with all the details on why, but the Micra is half my mum's car. The deal is I get the Focus for £4000 and sell the Micra to my brother for £200 (Looking at pistonheads and autotrader I reckon I'd get £700 for it with ease as the condition is fantastic).
I will pay dad to tax it as the Focus is due for renewal.

Short version:
Getting Focus for £3930 with 12 months tax and giving Micra to younger brother.

Question: Is £700 a fair price for my Micra? 2000, 1.0, very good nick, everything works, doesn't need any money spent on it.

You can't say fairer than that, in my opinion. Don't be greedy. Don't bite the hand that feeds you, etc. :p

I drove a Micra back to Telford from Manchester when my sister bought one a few years ago, and I learnt to drive in a Mk. 2 Focus, although it was a 1.6 petrol. The Focus is the better car by a huge margin, and if the diesel engine is anything like the one in a Mondeo taxi I got to a night out a few weeks ago, it should be lovely and smooth. The best diesel engined car I've been in.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The £4000 for the Focus was based on the Micra being worth £300, so I said that is fine but give me half of whatever you get over that for it.
This was all based on the Micra being sold privately. I am guessing it is worth £700 so would just tell my brother to give me £200 for it.

I just want to check that £700 is a good, fair price for the Micra if it were to be sold off privately:
1.0, Red, 2000, airbag, power steering, no rust, good tyres, new exhaust, 43000 miles, 6 months MOT, 5 months tax and doesn't need anything fixing

What does OCUK think the Micra would sell for privately? I was guessing put up for £900 and accept £700. I thought it may be worth less than this but looking online at pistonheads/autotrader K11 Micras are quite expensive still.

Needless to say, I am buying the Focus!!

[TW]Fox;21687279 said:
Let's not get carried away. It's a fantastic buy under these circumstances but its not 'lovely and smooth'.

Compared to the Micra, it feels smooth :p At idle the gearstick shakes in it!

Last edited:
Associate
£200 for the car seems fair, if you do not like your Brother you can always ask for more.

I can understand not giving him the car, since he might not value it at all if it was free. I know money is tight for everyone these days, but you seem on a deal that everyone should be happy about. You can ask for more money, but then again so could your Father.

Soldato
OP
Hey all.

Sold Micra to brother for £200.
I got the Focus for £4000 and added 12 months tax for £135.

Whilst I realise it is both a diesel and a mass-produced family hatchback, it really feels quick.
Having some low down power means that at I am changing gear less, plus I am loving the cruise control. The only thing I don't like is the engine note, but it is a diesel after all!

I can only imagine how good 6 cylinder petrols and smaller turbo petrols are!

Back
Top Bottom