Potential new car

Hey all.
I made a thread like this around 6 months ago, but now rather than just talking about it the offer is actually on the table.
I do about 5000 miles per year. I definately don't need a diesel, but the car has been owned by my dad since it was 6 months old and is in good nick.
I am coming from a 2000 1.0 Micra S which has no A/C. I paid £2600 for it in 2005 and it has never let me down, but in the summer it is not pleasant and it just can't keep up with the traffic on the dual carriageways.
My intention would be to own this car for 3-4 years.

The car in question is:
Ford Focus 57 reg Ghia
2.0 TDCI
Sea Grey 140
77,000 miles
He wants £5000

Good bits:
Major Ford service @ 75,000 miles (all other services at Ford)
Waxed yearly
No dents
No kerbing on the wheels
Mainly motorway miles and never driven hard
Euro 4 diesel - No DPF
Nothing is broken or 'on the way out'
Completely known history
Never been in a crash
No issues other than needing 2 sets of front discs (new set put on at major service)
Had a new fuel tank under warranty in 08-09

Bad bits (aside from the wheels these are very minor):
Original exhaust/turbo/clutch/injectors - Who knows when they will break
Wheels have that 'white rust' look as water has gone under the paint - They need a paint-only refurb plus new centre caps - The asking price reflects this
A chip on the passenger side of the windscreen that has been filled
A few stone chips (but they have been filled as soon as noticed)
A bit of plastic under the fog light broke when a bird was hit. Dad sprayed the new part himself and fitted it
Afaik no options on top of the Ghia trim apart from metallic paint

Man of Honour
The major plus point of knowing this car since 6 months old goes a long way towards cancelling out any of the negative aspects.

Soldato
sounds a cracking car to be buying. you've got a chance to buy a car that you know well, you kwow theres no hidden history to concern yourself with and its a rather decent price for what it is. Personally i'd be biting his hand off for that

Soldato
I had one as a co car for a time, think it was a Ghia too - had a piano-ish black stereo surround with reasonable sony system and cruise etc. The car was pretty decent all round, actually far better put together than the facelift 2l tdci I had later which rattled and squeaked from day 1.

It's a decent enough derv and if you know the car it seems to make sense. Sounds like you're getting a parental discount too which can't hurt.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21675541 said:
A completely unknown car from a random person versus one that was virtually brand new when his family purchased it?

Yes. With the amount of Focuses out there it shouldn't be too hard to find a decent one. He only does 5k miles a year. For a similar price he can get a decent enough petrol and not have to live with the diesel.

Given not a lot has been replaced on his dad's Focus means it's all yet to come and potentially within a couple of years.

Soldato
OP
5000 miles a year and a tdci, Not ideal but at least you know the car.

The diesel bit won't bother me. The car vibrates less than the Micra and I will appreciate some low down shove. The 59hp in the Micra isn't the killer, it is the 59lb/ft with long gear ratios - I pull out at a junction and it usually leaves me in the way of other cars even though there was an ample gap, but giving it some revs just spins the wheels.

Soldato
Sorry for the hijack but I'm excited - I just part exchanged my 2004 1 litre Micra today as it happens. I have had it for 4 years and it's never let me down but it's starting to have some electrical problems so I decided to get rid while it's still got some value in it, and before I end up having to spend loads on it. I agree the lack of air con is a killer in the summer and it has absolutely no oomph.

Have bought a 5 door 1.25 litre Ford Fiesta (09 reg), 24k miles on it, A/C, bluetooth, lots of exciting things that my car doesn't have - and 5 door will be great too so people aren't having to clamber in and out of the back. 1.25l is fine for me, I only use it to drive to work and to the supermarket :p Got it from a local dealer, with mine part exed it's cost me £5200 which I'm happy with. Got to wait until 23rd for it :( it's got a couple of niggles - think someone's cat has had a skate down the bonnet so that's being resprayed but other than that I'm well chuffed :)

Soldato
OP
I just had a drive in a friend's Focus.
His is a 1.6 petrol 115hp (**** me it is thirsty!) ghia with extras such as parking sensors and multi CD changer.
Wow it is nice to drive. Usually I sit in a new car and feel uneasy but this I felt right at home in. The clutch was very smooth and the seats were comfortable.

The drive was <20mph in a carpark but still it gave me a bit of an insight.

Back
Top Bottom