Pothole claim - is this reasonable?

Associate
I hit a pothole in Liverpool last February that damaged my tire. I got it replaced straight away as it was too dangerous to drive on - split sidewall and big bulge.

I raised it with the council and they've only just got round to settling my claim 10 months later!

The total cost of the tire was £192.61.

This is the reply I have just received from them:

Ok, so without prejudice I am able to offer you £173.34, which includes a 10% deduction for general wear and tear. (I have deducted the smallest percentage I could based on the fact the car was less than 3 years old)

Can you confirm if you are happy to accept my offer and I will arrange for you to be added to the cheque list.

What are your thoughts on this?

I understand the reasoning but feel that I have been £192 out of pocket for 10 months through no fault of my own and now won't be getting 100% of my money back for replacing a tire that was near enough new wouldn't have needed replacing for quite some time. Am I being fair in feeling that way or should I accept that the tire had suffered some wear?

I had only owned the car for around a month by this point so don't know how old the previous tire was.

Associate
The difference is down to what is known as betterment. The tyre you replaced was worn to some extent, the new one not. The new one will last longer than the old one.

I don't know how many miles the old one had it but unless it was itself very new and you can prove it I would accept the offer.

Associate
OP
Thanks all - you've pretty much summed up what I was thinking.

It's not the £20 that was bothering me, it was more the time it's taken and the hassle it's caused me along the way trying to get any kind of response from them to try and get the claim settled.

Soldato

It's not the £20 that was bothering me, it was more the time it's taken and the hassle it's caused me along the way trying to get any kind of response from them to try and get the claim settled.

Fair point, but the further hassle and time wasted in order to get £20 more from them (and we all know it's like blood from a stone) isn't worth it either.

As above, take it and run.

Soldato

Sticking to your principles would be a waste of your time , accept the offer and move on :)

Soldato
You actually got a council to pay up, take their money before they change their mind.

The last claim I put in they wriggled out of.

Soldato
You actually got a council to pay up, take their money before they change their mind.

The last claim I put in they wriggled out of.

Barnsley council tried to get out of paying up because I scrapped the car 2 months later because the flywheel/clutch exploded and lunched the gearbox.

I claimed because I hit a pothole, which they had marked and then left for 3 months and snapped a spring and droplink. They say my claim is invalid because I no longer own the car. I would still own it if it hadn't irreparably destroyed itself.
I still paid out for the suspension repair as I hadn't, at that point, intended of parting with it.

It's still ongoing from April this year.

Back
Top Bottom