Power Amp Recommendations

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking for some power amp recomendations. I have a Cambridge Audio CXN (Mk1) which can do all the pre amp/DAC stuff and everything I listen to, streaming music, TV, DVD etc can feed into that. I also have some Quad 11l speakers that I'm happy with. So looking for something in the 50-125w range that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg, £500'ish. I'd rather go power amp than pay for a load of DAC/pre amp stuff I don't need.

Currently running a Pioneer A400 (and have been for the last 30 years :D) but it's starting to show it's age with rustles and crackles, a bit like me!

Options seem fairly limited unless you want to spend £,000's

Thanks

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I’ve owned a pair of Quad 11s. They were very “polite”. Driving them with something with some drive is probably a good thing.
Linn LK85 might nicely do the trick, now available at sensible prices.

Associate
I have an XTZ Edge A2-300 that I used for powering my front speakers. It is excellent, small form factor Class D amplifier which is easy to hide away and doesn't produce a lot of heat. Gets some pretty rave reviews as well.

Soldato
Plenty of good suggestions so far. I got a second hand Naim Nap100 for £350 just before lockdown, love the sound, now i have got a 5 pin DIN setup like the old days! :D

Soldato
Only suggestion I have is just check that the impedance of the pre-amp output is lower than the power amp input. Some manufacturers design power amps only to match their own pre-amps.. or the sound is bad.

Back
Top Bottom