Power On: The Story of Xbox (Documentary)

Soldato
I watched this other day and thought some of you here would also enjoy it, it shows the development of the XBOX, the history and showing what was going on inside Microsoft at the time and shows them to be pretty humble when they messed up certain aspects of the XBOX.

Enjoy it is a 6 part documentary. Very intresting for technology enthusiasts, I have never owned a XBOX but have played on them and was of course intrested in the technology and the future of consoles and computers.

Power On: The Story of Xbox | Chapter 1: The Renegades

Power On: The Story of Xbox | Chapter 2: The Valentine's Day Massacre

Power On: The Story of Xbox | Chapter 3: And It Didn't Turn On

Original link to this chapter as it seems to be age restricted :- https://youtu.be/yappZvmxcP8 found same video without the restrictions.

Power On: The Story of Xbox | Chapter 4: Cool…Now What?

Power On: The Story of Xbox | Chapter 5: The Red Ring of Death

Power On: The Story of Xbox | Chapter 6: TV…Or Not TV

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think it was great that they got Don Mattrick back. Kudos to him because he could have easily said no but then I guess no-one really has heard his side of the story before. He was just vilified by everyone.

Soldato
OP
Really enjoying it, thanks for posting!

My pleasure, happy you're all enjoying it. I thought it was really good and not even an XBOX gamer but love tech and of course it's all computer related technology and watching the people that make these devices and to see inside Microsofts mind at the time.

Associate
Just finished watching this. It's a really great documentary. I don't think many other companies would make something or be involved with making something like this. Showing the good and bad of the company over the years. It could very much have been just a celebration of Xbox and glossed over everything else. Focussing on the red ring issues, the Xbox one failure made for a really interesting watch. Also the amount of big industry names they got is amazing. Especially having Don Mattrick, who is pretty much the fall guy for the Xbox one back to discuss it. Thanks for the recommendation, this would have completely passed me by.

Associate
I’m loving the series so far it makes me feel like I’m in the 2000s. It's a great documentary, I love that Microsoft was willing to poke fun at their missteps. Really refreshing to see their honesty in an industry that’s usually so secretive.

Soldato
Watched this recently. Really enjoyed it. Fair play to MS for being honest about their mistakes along the way. Would be cool to see a similar documentary from Sony.

Man of Honour
Watched this recently. Really enjoyed it. Fair play to MS for being honest about their mistakes along the way. Would be cool to see a similar documentary from Sony.

It would be a paradigm shift for a Japanese company to be open about their failings like Microsoft are in this series.

Associate
Still only on the 3rd episode but as someone who never got the original Xbox I completely under estimated how quickly they went from concept to launch. Same with software, always thought Halo was gash, but I will be a little less harsh with the time scales they worked.

Nice documentary thanks for the heads up.

Associate
Thanks that was a fantastic documentary , file alongside the movie about Atari "Game Over" both exceptional pieces about the history of consoles and gaming. Wonder if they were made by the same people as are so similar in style.

Back
Top Bottom