• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

power required for x2 5770's?

Associate
hi, in the near future im wantng to put my XFX radeon 5770 in crossfire

source of research: http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/11

now ive done a little research on here and it claims i need min of 40Amps for a single 5770 and 55Amps on my 12V rails to put 2 5770's in crossfire.

i currently have a OCZ ModXStream pro 700Wpower supply, in OcUK shop it claims its SLI and Crossfire compatible however when i did some research it appears its 12V rails each have only 25Amps 50Amps in total. 5 short of what is required. So even though i have enough Watts, my 12V rail isn't sufficient. so my question is if i try running a second 5770 on my power supply will i be putting it at risk?
thank you for your help

Associate
well to be honest i really don't wanna spend £130 just to brake a gfx card because my psu 12V rail is under Amp =/ i went for a 700W because i figured it would help in crossfire, never gave the 12V rails a thought to be honest. i think ill just have to get in touch with XFX =/

Associate
ok so you just gota love the XFX team. so quick to reply to your problem

me : [ 9/7/2010 1:05:21 PM] hi ive tried using the live help but it would only load a blank page =/ so i figured id ask here as i have had positive previous experience, anyway basically im wanting to purchase a second XFX radeon 5770 very soon, however im not sure if my power supply is sufficient, i currently have a OCZ ModXstreme Pro 700W. It has 2 +12V rails with 25Amps on each, i have read that to put two 5770`s in crossfire it requires a total of 55Amps on the +12V rails which is 5Amps more than what my PSU offers. will i be ok running crossfre? with it been 700W or will i face breaking the second 5770?

[PAULV 9/7/2010 3:49:57 PM] Hi, thanks for your message and for letting us know. No, you wont break the 5770, if there was insufficient power getting to it then it wouldn`t perform at its best or would not boot at all. But unsure where you have read/heard this as 50A total is more than enough for these two cards from our experience. As long as you dont have an abnormal amount of other power hungry peripherals installed then you will be fine Richard. Hope all goes well, however if any queries or problems please keep us posted. Kind regards Paul

so hopefully i should be ok :)

Associate
Well I run 2 of them on my 600W Modextreme with the spec in my sig, so I imagine your 700W should do the same ;)

Associate
lol isnt that kinda doing the opposite of all the advice you've received? In that your current PSu is more than fine..

Associate
lol isnt that kinda doing the opposite of all the advice you've received? In that your current PSu is more than fine..
:D haha, im not going replace the 1 i have, because its fine....touch wood :p, but im just saying if i do build another rig in the future, ill get a corsair PSU