Power supply clicking on new build (not not old build)

Associate
Hi all

Bit of a strange one here. I have a Corsair HX620 PSU that is about 10 years old. Its had an easy life, and its been flawless. ive recently updgraded my PC and now the PSU has started ticking. Its an irregular tick, not particularly loud, but a bit irritating. When under load, its silent, it seems to be when its idle that it ticks the most. It sounds as if a wire is hitting the fan, BUT its not the fan. if i stop the fan, it still ticks.

my old build:

core 2 quad Q6600
gigagyte 965P-DS4
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
3x of HDDs
Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-620HXUK)

All fine like this.

My new Build

G4560
gigagyte Z-270X ultra gaming
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-620HXUK)

now it ticks. very strange.

looking around online, there are various videos etc of exactly the same noise.

any ideas what the cause is?

Man of Honour
I wonder if it's one of the idle power states causing this? Really low idle power states came along with Haswell and have gotten even lower since. I am thinking that maybe the psu can't handle them fully. Try changing the power states in the bios one at a time until they are all disabled to see if it cures it. If it does then you can either run with power saving disabled, put up with it or buy a new psu. If it doesn't cure it I haven't a clue what else to suggest.

Associate
OP
Power states? I'll have to have a google. What would I search for?

I did wonder if it was interference from the pwm system from the fans, or maybe the leds on board. I'll have to do some experiments...

Man of Honour
The settings are in the motherboard bios. You are looking for the C states (C1-C7). In my boards bios they are under the CPU Configuration tab. Try turning them off one at a time starting with the lowest power state (C7) and see if it makes any difference. So start with C7, save and reboot. If it's still clicking go back into the bios and disable C6, save and reboot. Keep going until they are all disabled or the clicking stops. When you have gone through all of them you can turn them back on again if it makes no difference to the clicking.

Back
Top Bottom