Power supply recommendations, any good ones.

Associate
Hi And thanks for reading.

I have been using a corsair rm650x for a while, then i upgraded to a corsair hx1000i. Immediatly upon boot up i noticed the desktop looked cleaner and clearer, the audio sounded more detailed less distortion, the hx seems superior to the rmx, the pc is working better.
So now i want to upgrade again and am thinking of the corasair ax series which appears to be corsairs best. Am torn between the ax or any high-end seagate offering.
What would you do. Do you think the ax is a good power supply in its own right, and me chasing after psu with better specs is a waste of time as there may be little improvement, or do you think the opposite.
Also, which would you say are the best seagate power supplies.
For the pc i have an H170I-PRO motherboard mini atx motherboard, 16gb generic ddr4 ram and a soundblaster ae-9 soundcard. Power consumption is about 300 watts.

Thanks

Soldato
I think that the placebo is the strongest "medicine"...

I can guarantee power consumption isn't 300W.
That even non-cooled VRM would be overheating fast, if CPU was overclocked to draw anything like that.
Also 4 pin ATX 12V power connector would be at least approaching melting limit.

And modern all digital graphics signal chains aren't suspectible to PSU in any way, unless it literally makes graphics card corrupt data.
In which case PC would be anyway crashing/doing errors in general and already that "digital" graphics corruption would be impossible to miss.
With analog signal output question would be more about bad/inadequate design of circuitry.

Again in case of sound card unstable voltage/ripple can have effect, but that isn't very likely in case separate sound card.
Also it's graphics card which is the way biggest interference source in general.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

The consensus indicates the hxi is a decent supply and i should keep that,
Seasonic are saying their prime titanium series are the best psu's and are charging over £300 for these. What is the big deal, what do they give for charging this much money. Just intrested trying to find out, because it puzzles me the hxi i paid for was twice the price of my rmx. What do manufacturers give by charging all this extra money, because as your replies suggested i should not see much of an improvement when comparing the hxi versus rmx, so why charge twice the price for such little improvement in ripple, noise, performance, stability, - apart from the higher power of the hxi

Associate
OP
Thanks. As you rightly say they charge extra for the brand recognition, so is it possible to buy a good quality power supply at a cheaper price rather than having to pay double because it has a corsair sticker on it. If so which psu would you recommend.
Thanks

Soldato
You want to upgrade from a hx1000i?

What’s the rest of your specification? Your PSU already sounds like it’s way over specced for your machine as it is (not a bad thing, just saying).

The money would be better spent elsewhere upgrading the system.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom