PowerBank recommdations - Qualcomm

Associate
Hi All
I'm looking to get myself a good quality PowerBank for my Sony Xperia XZ and other mobile devices.

It needs to have at least 2 outputs and be Qualcomm 3.0 quick charge rated

The 2 brands I see at the minute with best reviews is RAVpower and Anker but I'm struggling to find a reliable place that will ship one to Northern Ireland

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Budget is £30-40 but would maybe stretch to £50 max

Soldato
Not sure what the situation is with amazon and their own deliveries in NI but royal mail have to cover it for the same price as the rest of the UK. Surely you must be able to order postable items without being hit with silly charges?

Associate
OP
Not sure what the situation is with amazon and their own deliveries in NI but royal mail have to cover it for the same price as the rest of the UK. Surely you must be able to order postable items without being hit with silly charges?

Yeah pricing is okay but the problem is a lot of companies wont send batteries as they are high risk items hat could "explode" so the ones on amazon cannot be sent to Northern Ireland.

Man of Honour
NI is funny for that - you can get devices sent that have the same capacity - but try getting a power bank with that capacity sent and nope.

Man of Honour
Most will recharge via one of - micro USB 5V, 12V DC (usually 5.5x2.1 or 5.5x2.5 plug) or 19v with a range of socket size. 5V USB is the most common input for recharging - you can get cheap adapters that will convert from 12V to 5V for this with a cigarette lighter style plug if required.

You can also get power banks that give a couple of attempts to jump start a car which might be handy for emergencies. (I'm not sure how good they really are).

Associate
OP
Just ordered the following Ravpower RP-PB043 powerpak, 20100mAh/74.3Wh with USB C guy on the bay has 3 available .Says selling due to a wireless project not being completed. £20 delivered when they are normally £40-50 new so not a bad price.

Soldato
Just ordered the following Ravpower RP-PB043 powerpak, 20100mAh/74.3Wh with USB C guy on the bay has 3 available .Says selling due to a wireless project not being completed. £20 delivered when they are normally £40-50 new so not a bad price.
I own 7 of these (don't ask) and they're superb. The majority of mine are the QC2.0 older models with the same capacity and features of the current ones. Just purchased a further 2 (qc3.0's) on amazon black Friday taking my total to 7.

They're very reliable and very well built. I took 3 to the Maldives last year and they were reliable even in the hot weather. I've not a bad thing to say about their products, well packaged and you get USB-C cables with them that work well on all my USB-C devices.

Associate
OP
I own 7 of these (don't ask) and they're superb. The majority of mine are the QC2.0 older models with the same capacity and features of the current ones. Just purchased a further 2 (qc3.0's) on amazon black Friday taking my total to 7.

They're very reliable and very well built. I took 3 to the Maldives last year and they were reliable even in the hot weather. I've not a bad thing to say about their products, well packaged and you get USB-C cables with them that work well on all my USB-C devices.

still 2 on the bay @ £20 each if u need more bargin 2nd hand price.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Whatever you get, make sure it charges via USB-C and not Micro USB. The sooner we shift on from the old standard the better.

Any Type C power bank will have at least Type A ports where you connect to your devices, so just make sure the power input for the bank is USB-C.

Man of Honour
For some reason a lot of USB C stuff got pulled, especially Anker, not sure why - they had a decent lineup of wall chargers and powerbanks for like 2 weeks then they all disappeared (some have even completely disappeared from their product pages).

I actually picked up one of these (nearly half price) on Black Friday due to USB C output plus AC which could be handy:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-R.../B01MDKHWNR/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512335169

£40 off at the moment if you click the promotion thing and select the right option - its a pretty hefty device though and some controversy over capacity though mine seems around about rated.

Whatever you get, make sure it charges via USB-C and not Micro USB. The sooner we shift on from the old standard the better.

Any Type C power bank will have at least Type A ports where you connect to your devices, so just make sure the power input for the bank is USB-C.

Some exceptions aside a lot of powerbanks that can be recharged via USB C don't actually charge any faster than micro USB - the ones that charge faster tend to use DC barrel connectors at 12 or 19v 1.5-2amp inputs rather than 5v which isn't always the most handy.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Aye I was more on about going for one with a USB-C input for the sake of not having to be stuck with a device that has a Micro USB port in couple of years time as opposed to it being faster than Micro or not!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xtorm-AL450-Essential-Power-Bank/dp/B014690TOW

That's the one I have. it's very expensive, but has been very reliable. Once I'm done charging a USB-C device, just flip the cable around and charge it from the wall or car via the C input.

It's only QC2.0 though, or USB-PD (5V 3A), but I think it's still one of the few reliable ones with fast charging, in a compact design for the capacity.

Back
Top Bottom